Returning shows and new shows

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
mrsl

Returning shows and new shows

Post by mrsl »

Naturally I'm counting the days until both Downton Abbey and Longmire return in the same week.

But I've seen the ads for some of the newer shows coming on and only one or two look interesting to me. Killer Cops, and Killer Teens are not my cuppa, but I guess the day of the top notch lawyer is starting to wane.

Are these T.V. execs ever going to learn that it's us old folks that watch T.V., not the teenagers? Teens are too busy tweeting to each other across the room, while we actually sit and watch the television. NOT TO mention how popular the reruns of oldies is getting, like on METV and TV-land. They just don't want to wake up and smell the coffee, do they?
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Lzcutter
Administrator

Re: Returning shows and new shows

Post by Lzcutter »

Anne,

I forgot to post it a few weeks back, but Major Crimes is having a short run of episodes right now. Jon Tenney was on this week reprising his role as Fritz. Not sure how many episodes are left before it takes a hiatus until summer.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

David,

I was initially skeptical of Rusty when the show first started but the writers have done a terrific job of incorporating his character not only in Raydor's life but also how he interacts with the team.

I really enjoyed the episodes with psychiatrist (I always enjoy seeing actor Bill Brochrup work.)

I am so behind on my viewing of other shows! Am hoping to get caught up on Person of Interest and Elementary not to mention White Collar and last summer's Suits.

So much good tv and not enough hours in the day!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

A new show I have found on Netflix that is interesting is "Ripper Street." It involves a police investigator in a pretty bad part of London set in the 1880's around the time just after Jack The Ripper. (Forgive me if I have my dates mixed up.)

Matthew McFayden stars as the Officer Reed and he leads murder investigations that deal with the early days of almost every investigative and technological thing we know. An American doctor who is in England befriends the Reed and now is often called in for help as he has some forensic knowledge. He is smart but he is no nice guy.

It is interesting and it certainly feels like its time period. The violence can be pretty graphic and the first episode deals with a murdered prostitute and the "smut" world so nudity and is rather frequent there.

The language isn't that bad but there may be some straining to get past the accents. Otherwise, they get credit for taking a murder mystery and giving it a new twist.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I'm not really thrilled with the shows on ABC, NBC, and CBS ... and getting a little tired of NCIS and frankly I'm watching more and more documentaries than ever before and that's been quite educational for me.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Movieman:

I was beginning to think I'm the only one who is still reading this site. So many people have disappeared - Why is that, do you know? Anyway, where are you watching Ripper Street? I was watching it about 18 months ago on one of the PBS channels, but it went away after a few weeks and has never returned. I would definitely suggest that you watch Dr. Blakes Mysteries, and Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries on Tuesday night. Both are top notch in acting and storyline. Kind of easy to solve the mystery, but the acting and personalities pretty much makes up for it.

RitaHayworth: I'm with you on all that you said except the documentaries. I love NCIS but it IS getting a little dogeared by now. I do wish Tony would grow up, and I wish they featured Tim more. I find myself watching the three PBS stations in my area quite often, and am becoming quite a fan of Australian actors. As far as I'm concerned, movies have not improved at all. I would love to join Netflix if I could afford it, but finding movies to watch would be really hard for me unless I go back at the very least 15 years or more.

I guess one of the networks has come up with a female version of Forever from last year. I loved that show and cannot understand why they canceled it. Now some girl is going to live forever instead of the guy, that's some real originality there!!! Also, it looks like we're going to to get more knockoffs of How to Get Away with Murder.

Talk to me guys!!!
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************