The Bletchley Circle; Rachael Sterling a 50s Emma Peel

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
stuart.uk

The Bletchley Circle; Rachael Sterling a 50s Emma Peel

Post by stuart.uk »

Spoiler

I’ve just finished watching the 2nd season of the outstanding UK period drama The Bletchley Circle, set in 1952.It’s about 4 young woman, who during the war were code breakers in the what was called The Bletchley Circle, who after 1945 return to their humdrum lives, their past lives a secret. However, in the 50s they reunite for up until now 3 adventures.

Julie Graham, as Jean, was the leader of the girls during the war, but now works as a prim and proper librarian. However, when working undercover, Jean shows a different side to her character. Sophie Rundle plays Lucy, a girl with a photographic memory, who works at Scotland Yard, while Anna Maxwell Martin played Susan, a housewife, who seems to be the best detective in the group, but she left after helping the girls clear the name of fellow Bletchley girl Alice, played Harriet Morahan, from the hangman’s noose. This left Alice as a straight replacement for Susan in the show.

My own personal favorite character is the bohemian trouser wearing Millie, as played by Rachael Sterling, the daughter of Avenger girl Diana Rigg, who played Emma Peel in the iconic 60s series. In fact it occurred to me that Millie could almost pass for Emma Peel’s mother, given the similarities between the 2 women.

The costume designer on the show also did the outfits for Downton Abbey. All I could find was this small link,

[youtube][/youtube]
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: The Bletchley Circle; Rachael Sterling a 50s Emma Peel

Post by moira finnie »

The first season of this series was shown last year here in the U.S. but I didn't see an entire episode. I am hoping to catch up when it is repeated (PBS in America repeats things a lot!). Thanks for the heads up, Stuart.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Vienna

Post by Vienna »

Rachael STIRLING is so like her mum. She ought to be on the big screen. I love Bletchley Circle,just sorry Anna maxwell Martin has left.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

If anyone hears when and if the Bletchley Circle will be showing again, please post it here. I caught up with it only in time for the last two episodes so never got to know exactly what was going on, but even in that short time, I enjoyed it immensely and would like to see more. Thanks!
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

My Cable Provider do not carry this series at all and I seems can't find it anywhere and being a lover of World War Two - and I may have to resort buying a DVD of this series to enjoy it.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Sad to report that despite several storylines in the pipeline, this great series has been cancelled due to poor ratings
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

The BBC seems less likely these days to norture shows along. An example is Only Fools And Horses, which got of to a slow start viewing wise bit grew into one of the UKs greatest ever sit-coms. But now they won't take any risks
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Anna Maxwell Martin is in the latest Judi Dench movie. Here's a link

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Color me happy, I was able to catch a repeat viewing of the second episode during the middle of the night last week and have all three stored in my DVR so I can sit down and have a nice mysterious evening with the ladies of Bletchley Circle.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************