Oscars 2014 Dish!

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Oscars 2014 Dish!

Post by moira finnie »

Great news about Spacey. I hope that the producers listen. And many thanks to everyone who has added their impressions here. You guys have much more staying power for the award shows than I have been able to muster in recent years. Sorry to read that Kim Novak seemed to be struggling on stage, but I am glad to read that at least Sidney Poitier had a well-mannered Angelina Jolie to help him through his appearance.

Wish that the history of American film were more on display in this venue--and so glad that I missed hearing "Wind Beneath My Wings" sung once more. :roll:
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

The show must have been better than average. I actually watched some of it! I flipped through the channels all night. But as often as not, I settled in on the ceremony for a few minutes! I enjoyed what I saw of Ellen's antics. Sorry I missed the pizza! I didn't see any REALLY awkward speeches. But then, that was usually when I changed channels. "The winner is...so and so!" And I'm gone!

Too long? I should excuse myself from this question, having not watched the whole telecast. But I understand it was in excess of three hours? Ill go with YES. Too long!

Now for the remark that just might earn me some hate mail. You know how the "In Memorium" montage usually builds to a climax, culminating with the person considered to be the greatest star? Predictably, this time it was Phillip Seymour Hoffman. His death was tragic and unexpected. More importantly, it made headlines. But let's be honest. By far, the one whose contributions were the most memorable was Shirley Temple. It's not even close. She was one of the most popular and beloved film icons of all time. They should have ended with her. She earned it.
Lucky Vassall

Post by Lucky Vassall »

Wanted very much to contribute to this thread, but everything I could think of about the show has already been covered by somebody else, from keeping Lisa and Angela off the stage to Jim Carey in The Cowboys..

Found the only way to get through the three and a half hours - in ninety minutes! - was with the fast forward button, but I still consider it a waste of an evening.

I think in many ways it was better back when it was a private dinner party, and we had to wait a week to see a few minutes of it in the newsreels. Of course, back then, James Mason never socked Judy Garland in the face, but if he had, we would have seen it. And they wouldn't have dared to hire somebody else to sing her song!
[size=85]AVATAR: Billy DeWolfe as Mrs. Murgatroid, “Blue Skies” (1946)

[b]“My ancestors came over on the Mayflower.”
“You’re lucky. Now they have immigration laws."[/b]
[i]Mae West, The Heat’s On” (1943[/i])

[b]:–)—[/b]
Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#FF0000]RedRiver[/color][/u] wrote:...Now for the remark that just might earn me some hate mail. You know how the "In Memorium" montage usually builds to a climax, culminating with the person considered to be the greatest star? Predictably, this time it was Phillip Seymour Hoffman. His death was tragic and unexpected. More importantly, it made headlines. But let's be honest. By far, the one whose contributions were the most memorable was Shirley Temple. It's not even close. She was one of the most popular and beloved film icons of all time. They should have ended with her. She earned it.
Red, I'm with you there. As shocking as it was to hear about Hoffman's death ( and James Gandolfini's ) the legend of Shirley Temple and what she's meant to a generation ( BEFORE US ) and what she's meant to MOVIES is immeasurable. But again I say, this is what's wrong with the Academy today. They go for the commercial. They go for the now. They had a chance to educate AND entertain the viewers. Oh well. Call me crazy, call me silly for not thinking that education and entertainment is not a zero sum game.

And again...that's why I'm so hopeful for old stars to come to TCM's film festival. Every star that attends feels the love welling up in the audience for them.

I might get infuriated with the Academy Awards show, but I watch it all the way through and fast-forward through nothing.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I don't have a lot to add either since most of what I could say has already been said. I agree wholeheartedly about Shirley Temple. She was truly a national treasure and should have been awarded a more respectful, longer time.

As for Bette Midler, it was still nice to hear a beautiful song sung by a true singing voice and not a teen aged screecher, but I do think she should have done the song first before the memoriam.

As for the montages of actresses/actors in various tributes - do you people listen to the applause in the background? I would be willing to bet that most of the audience has no idea who Gary Cooper, Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, etc. are. Listen to the audience reaction to some of the actors. Last year they cheered for the TV guy who o.d.'ed in a motel room, but when someone like Van Johnson came on screen, it got very quiet - they didn't know who he was. Oh, their names are on the tips of our tongues because of who we are, and who we like, but this younger generation doesn't do their history to learn whose shoes they're trying to fill. I credit Amy Adams with saying that she has not studied the oldies enough but plans to, and Drew Barrymore has said the only reason she knows the older crowd is because they were friends of her parents and grandparents.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

This year it seemed like the audience held their applause until the end of the Memoriam.

In previous years, it began to feel like a popularity contest.

I read somewhere that the producers made a point of telling people this year no applause until the end.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

the producers made a point of telling people this year no applause until the end.

I issue similar instructions to my girlfriends!