2014 tv shows new and continuing

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Lzcutter
Administrator

2014 tv shows new and continuing

Post by Lzcutter »

Hey guys,

Wanted to start this thread about television and what is happening with some of our favorite tv shows.

The network upfronts are coming where the individual networks announce what shows they are keeping, cancelling and debuting. Most networks have been announcing renewals and cancellations for the last few weeks so the upfronts is becoming more and more about selling ad space and less about the network shows.

Craig Ferguson has announced that he will be leaving The Late, Late Show by end of this year. Ferguson is on record as saying ten years of doing late night is enough and that his retirement from the show has nothing to do with Stephen Colbert being chosen to sit in Letterman's chair.

PBS is currently running its terrific "Pioneers of TV". The first episode three weeks ago covered comedians, last week covered medical shows and this week they looked at minorities. These may be available On Demand depending on your cable/satellite provider.

For those keeping score at home (and in case you missed them), both Major Crimes and Rizzoli and Isles had short winter runs on TNT. Be sure to check your On Demand, Netflix them or hopefully they will be rerun before both series return this summer with their usual 13 episodes each.

CBS announced a slew of renewals a few weeks ago for its fall lineup. Still not renewed are The Crazy Ones with Robin Williams and Intelligence with Josh Holloway.

Fox has announced it will do a live broadcast this fall of Grease. They must have looked at the success NBC had with The Sound of Music and thought it looked like a money maker. We'll see.

Game of Thrones has returned and for viewers who want to talk about the show, it has its own thread here: http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... es#p132653

Mad Men has started airing the first seven of its final episodes. The final seven will air next Spring. AMC had such success with Breaking Bad that way, they are hoping for lightning to strike twice. The thread for that show is here:
http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... en#p133808

Person of Interest on CBS is having another terrific season especially after its mid season finale. The thread for that show is here:
http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... st#p142717

Happy Viewing and let's talk TV!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Rita Hayworth

Re: 2014 tv shows new and continuing

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Lynn and SSO Members and Guests,

I rarely watch shows on television because I just don't have the time for them anymore. I rather watch a documentary and/or a movie on TCM, Encore, and various other movie channels that I have. I rarely have time to watch RIZZOLI AND ISLES, CASTLE, HAWAII 5-0, and others like MAJOR CRIMES, MAD MEN, and others because a good movie on TCM is far more superior than a good television show at anytime whatsoever. I don't watch NCIS anymore because I just don't care for the new women agent that replaces ZIVA. I find myself glued to TCM, Encore, American Movie Classics, Retroplex, and other movie channels than watching television shows altogether. My television viewing is pretty much MOVIE CENTERED not even TELEVISION CENTERED and that alone tells me that I shifted gears and sad to say that MOVIES is far more entertaining than NETWORK TELEVISION.

Sorry, to say that my days of NETWORK TELEVISION is pretty much OVER :( to say!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

LONGMIRE isn't set to show up until June. Wait, wait, wait.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

"Longmire" is one of the best. I kind of gave up on "Person of Interest". It became so convoluted, and I couldn't seem to keep up. Maybe I'd better try and find the episodes I've skipped...like most of last season, all of this one.

Since finding the Australian "Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries", I've been neglecting the tv. Maybe that isn't such a bad thing?
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I can't say I disagree about most television series becoming too similar to each other, but I do disagree about the writing. All of the shows Knitwit listed are in their 5th, 6th, and 7th years, or more, so writers are having a hard time coming up with new ideas for their shows. The main reason Law and Order has lasted so long and continues to do so, is they take their ideas directly from the news of the day. If you watch the news at all, you can recognize a bank robbery, or abduction, etc. NCIS is good when they do a two parter. I find myself eager to watch Chicago Fire each week because of the personal touch involved. I haven't been very interested in Chicago P.D. because I dislike that lead fellow, but I have to admit I did enjoy the story line that carried over from the one to the other this week. The "from the news" idea is a lot of what I liked so much about The West Wing. Many of the things that happened were difficult to understand, but when they were done as fiction in TWW, it all became clear.

I am waiting on pins and needles for Longmire to start up again, and hope it remains as edgy as it was last year.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Chris,

I totally agree with you about Longmire. It can't come back soon enough.

Knitty,

You should definitely give Person of Interest another chance. They have really kept up the acting and the drama on that one.

I think TV is going through another "Golden Age" (and has been for a few years now). There is so much good television on from cable to network to Netfilx and Amazon, I can't keep up with it all.

I've had to drop some shows or not pick them up in the first place because there just isn't enough time to devote to them all. (Not Justified, Chris)

But, I am very happy with the ones I do follow.

And if you guys aren't watching The Blacklist, you should be! James Spader is terrific in the lead role. The supporting cast is pretty good, too (well, with the exception of the female lead but Spader carries her along).

DirecTV is coming at the end of the month to install a new DVR, ours is on its last legs, so I have to get through my backlog of Justified, Person of Interest and The Blacklist before then.

I see lots of catching up in my immediate future!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

.MAD MEN

Well, I've watched all four episodes of Mad Men so far, and I have to say that Don Draper is rapidly losing his charm for me, as is most of the rest of the cast and show.

Every now and then I fear that I'm losing my sense of humor because shows which people claim to be so funny just seem dull and rather childish to me. I must say I am not crazy about the half hour shows that are being generated all over CBS and NBC although I still like Mike and Molly. Mom just doesn't cut it for me but again, I think I've had it about up to my eyebrows with recovering addicts of all types liquid and pill. And by that I simply mean that it seems like every show has to have some sort of addict in it. I feel for them because I went through rehab with my husband who was an alcoholic, so I know how hard it is. I just feel there are too many shows that basically glorify the condition by making it a topic of conversations so often in entertainment. I wish Resurrection was not just a Spring replacement, I am anxious to see how that works out and now have to wait until sometime in the future. Also, Parent hood is a top notch show all around, writing, directing, and acting.

I am also hanging in there with Mr. Selfridge now that I have most of the characters straight, but I kind of wish I had not seen that documentary on his life because I know what kind of ending it will have.

Lynn is right about a "Golden Age" of television because the shows that have good writing crews put out superior work. I still think Blue Bloods has some really good story lines, and I love the family dinners. Also The Good Wife keeps 'twisting' along shocking our senses. Yeah, go ahead, kill off one of the main leads in the season premier, LOL guys.
Anne

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Anne,

Hang in there with Mad Men. I think this season is setting up to be the return of Don Draper, great ad man. It makes sense to see him backslide into drinking in this week's episode but unlike previous times, this time he didn't go hat in hand to some young girl instead he called Freddie Rumson. Freddie got him out of the office and was able to avoid everybody realizing that Don had broken one of the "sacred" rules and the next morning gave Don the realistic, butt kicking talk he has needed for some time.

The office is in complete disarray without Don being the one that everyone orbits around. Lou Avery is a hack who thinks he can buy Peggy's loyalty with a raise, Jim Cutler is a snake who may try to usurp control of the company from Roger and Bert, Peggy is mad at Don because she holds him responsible for Ted going to California and leaving her (despite the fact that Ted willingly went and wanted to go). In fact, everyone is mad at Don for imploding at the end of last season and they are all stewing in their anger and letting too much just slide by and falling into disorganization.

In the next three episodes, I suspect we will see Don actually taking Freddie's advice and getting down to doing the work and in doing so, reigniting the fire in himself and, just as importantly, in the others. If Jim Cutler does try a coup de grace I suspect he may get a big shock.

Don Draper may be down but I wouldn't count him out just yet.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

There's much to respond to in this intriguing thread! PIONEERS OF TELEVISION is fascinating. How could it not be? But I wish the medical chapter had focused more on Casey and Kildare; less on the more recent incarnations. Young viewers may not know this, but those early doctor shows were enormously popular.

Mad Men has started airing the first seven of its final episodes. The final seven will air next Spring

I hope that format works for some people. I forget A LOT in the 10 months of dormancy.

I think this season is setting up to be the return of Don Draper, great ad man

Maybe this "half season." When it comes to the grand conclusion, I bet greater change is in store for Don. Good? Bad? Somewhere in between? Who knows! This show is too well written to go for the happy ending.

Parenthood is a top notch show all around

Yes it is, Mrs. L. Yet it hasn't been on the last two weeks. At least, not in my area. This makes me nervous. Is the show in trouble?
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Masha, we started watching FACE OFF, on right before JIM HENSON'S CREATURE SHOP, then went to the second show as well, though it's on late for my daughter, Alice. Both shows are fascinating and funny.

We were upset that none of the girls made it into the finals on FACE OFF, and that Niko lost in the final 4. he was so cute and adorable! But we were SO happy that our favorite Rashaad won! Tyler, who also has amazing talent, won't be lacking for jobs after this season. Alice has always wanted to be a makeup artist, so this show is like crack cocaine to her, and she can't wait for next season. :D

CREATURE SHOP seems like something impossible to me... I don't know how you can mix the level of creative artistry AND also have the mad skills at electronics to make them move and work the way they do. Make something that seems to live and breathe out of NOTHING....well I could never do it.

I have been enjoying ABOUT A BOY best of all the new shows this year. The cast is perfection, and the story seems almost even better suited to TV than it was to the movies. All the incarnations of this little book are good, but I give the TV version the highest rating yet.

I also am liking MIXOLOGY, but I can't see that they will be able to continue on at the pace they've been going. It's a great idea, having ten people in a bar mix and match up with each other over the course of one night....but it could get lame really fast. Hope they have the talent to pull off a few good seasons.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Oh, I expect Don to phoenix and I agree that he is going to "work, work, work" but I wonder if the show will end with Don grabbing Peggy and the two of them starting their own firm (. . . next Spring???). I am a major fan of Nashville, but they have added so many new characters that it's getting hard to keep tract of what each of them is up to, but I understand a lot of the new characters are going to be written out and that will be fine by me. That example is what I meant about Mad Men. There are so many characters now that you need a score card to keep abreast of what's going on. I meant that Jon Hamm, himself has lost his charm for me. I don't know what it is, but he doesn't look as attractive as he did last year. He has gained some weight so maybe that's it. Pete Campbell still gives me the willies. If I worked with him, I wouldn't trust him any farther than I could throw him. And I also find bringing in the bit about the hippies, living in a compound, free love, etc. was far below the level of superior writing this show has carried. One last thing; I've seen John Slattery in several trailors for new movies, and I wonder if we will be seeing him having another heart attack before long.
Anne

Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

The last show of CASTLE ... Kate finally arrested the man who killed her own Mother ... that was considered one of the best that I seen of CASTLE.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Ann,

I think what you are seeing with Jon Hamm's performance of Don is that Don has lost some of his good looks as he has gotten older. His character has aged about seven to eight years since we first met him.

While Don has grown a bit paunchier and his hair is starting to thin in places, that is the wizardry of make-up. Take a look at Jon Hamm in the promos for his new movie, Million Dollar Arm and Jon Hamm is still rocking those good looks.

Don Draper, not so much. But Draper still has that killer smile.

I think Jim Cutler is going to try and wrestle control of the firm and in doing so, gives Don the opportunity to convince Roger that it is time to strike out on their own yet again and they take Peggy, Stan, Ginsberg, Ken, and Pete (because despite the fact that Pete is a weasel of a man, he does respect Don't talent and will work with Don when others won't) and begin again. Joan and maybe Bob Benson and Ted ultimately join ranks with them as well.

The show has been foreshadowing for the last couple of seasons that someone, likely Don, would take a header out the upper floor window but I am now starting to think that it will probably be Roger or Bert.
Lynn in Lake Balboa