What Your Movie Preferences Reveal About You

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
MissGoddess

What Your Movie Preferences Reveal About You

Post by MissGoddess »

Here's an interesting quiz that goes a little deeper into what our likes/dislikes in movies says about us:

http://www.thefagans.org.uk/filmuses/

The quiz was developed by a psychologist. My results were all over the place, typically! :D
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Rita Hayworth

Re: What Your Movie Preferences Reveal About You

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Miss Goddess,

I took the time to do this quiz and I answered every question the best of my ability and I was very disappointed in reading and the eight movies choices that they gave me at the end - and I don't like 6 out of 8 movies that they are suggesting. However, they did reveal some truth about me and I do applaud them for making the case for it.

However, I never really care for quizzes like this because at the end of the results can be very misleading and the data that they complied may/may not reveal the person who you really are. But, I do find this quiz to be informative and do tell you something about yourself - but in my (this particular quiz) case it's about a good 20-30 percent of yourself and I was kind of sad of the outcome of it.

Anyway, thanks for sharing this and I hope others like me to take the time to do this ... :)
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Ooooh, don't be sad, Erik! These quizzes can never be accurate, but sometimes the questions can stir discussion. What disappointed you the most? For me, it was a bit too "generalized". For instance, no questions about how movies appeal to me for "nostalgia" but for a time I never experienced, not my own personal past.

Anyway, I hope it whiles away a few minutes for folks.
-- Will Rogers
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

What disappointed me the most - is three things that this test revealed about me ...

FIRST, I do enjoy watching movies alone - however they claimed that I don't like others to interfere watching movies with me and that alone bothers me - because they claim that my movie watching tells me that I do watch movies alone - but when I tried to get others to watch movies with me they don't have time for it. It's bothers me greatly and they don't put account for that.

SECONDLY, I was shocked that I liked some of the movies that they suggesting that liked like the HOBBIT, LORD OF THE RINGS, and WHEN HARRY MET SALLY - and that really irks me in a big way and I don't care for those movies at all. That really disappointed me in a very big way.

THIRDLY, I was totally surprised that they tell me that I don't like comedy, film noirs, and war movies and I was shocked to see that in print. I loved these movies and they don't even to inform me that I don't care for musicals either. That's bothers me a lot and again, they don't quite understand me at all. That's why I consider this quiz a poor one indeed. That's all I have to say about it.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Hi April, how are you

Did the test and while I agree with what it said I liked, I wasn't to keen on the movies they picked with the exception of Meet The Parents and When Harry Met Sally, which said I would be 90% interested in. Even then of that genre I'd prefer films like The Kid, Mr.Smith Goes To Washington and Meet John Doe as examples

It said I was 70% interested in action and war films and suggested Rambo which is to extreme for me. As far as that genre is concerned I think of the likes of The Dambusters, Carve Her Name With Pride To Hell And Back and In Which We Serve

I think Lord Of The Rings was also suggested, which isn't my sort of film either. Speed was also suggested, but though I like it, I can think of other films that I'd rather watch. It seems they were concentrating on modern films rather than older ones that are more likely to appeal to me.

I love westerns like The Seachers, Red River, They Died With Their Boots On, The Far Country and more modern ones like Tombstone
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I wouldn't take anything in an online poll as gospel. I think that polls such as this are geared toward:

1.) Enabling some psych majors to get a good grade in a Statistics course.
2.) People with no memory of movies before 1960.
3.) Promoting general movies--not ones that anyone on a classic film board would necessarily care about. Some computer database such as IMDb is used to reflect certain values based on keyword search engine findings.
4.) When Harry Met Sally is a good flick, but I wouldn't really categorize it as "nostalgia-driven."
5.) Reassuring me that I am "emotionally stable 75%" of the time. As for that other 25%--look out world! :wink:
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Jeez, Kingrat, you must be St. Francis of Assisi to get 0% on the violence-meter for aggressive & sensation-seeking.

I am hardly a gore fan, but could not say that cinematic drubbings are something that are always anathema to me. If it were my cinematic viewing would be close to nil since 99% of Westerns, Pre-Codes, Gangster, Pirate movies, and Robin Hood flicks would have been avoided by me over time. Besides, the pointed use of violence in truly great films (i.e. Crossfire, The Searchers, Schindler's List, and many movies where Nazis get their richly deserved comeuppance) are a satisfying sublimation of my latent aggressiveness for me.

According to my score, I'm only an aggressive creep 30% of the time--but you haven't played Scrabble with me--that's when the killer genes kick in.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Masha wrote:
Rita Hayworth wrote: SECONDLY, I was shocked that I liked some of the movies that they suggesting that liked like the HOBBIT, LORD OF THE RINGS, and WHEN HARRY MET SALLY - and that really irks me in a big way and I don't care for those movies at all. That really disappointed me in a very big way.
I believe that the movies depicted do not intend to reveal your preferences. The same movies are displayed for all.

The page which I saw states:
(The pictures above are demonstrative of the highest instance of each film use dimension, and do not necessarily relate to your own score.)

They are in this saying that: When Harry Met Sally (1989) is the best example of Nostalgia. I believe that the movies were selected only to show what they meant as each type of movie.

Thanks for pointing that out ... You jarred my memory and I regretted posting earlier ... my bad Masha and I should had paid more careful attention to these quizzes and polls. Kudos for you Masha! :)
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

ha haaa, moira you had me rolling. I think they got me right at 0% EMOTIONALLY STABLE. Lol!!!
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Masha wrote:
Rita Hayworth wrote: It was fortunate that I discovered this when I did for I had copied the e-mail address and was contemplating the snarkiest manner in which to tell them that they should seek a refund for tuition of their Psych101 classes because they had no hope of ever understanding people.
I say do it! :D
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

You're probably right about the escapism. Lord knows I'm always looking for an exit.

I'm glad to have obliged if it gave folks some laughs, Masha. :D :D You should hear the critical thoughts that roam in my brain while I'm listening to my psychiatrist. Talk about psych-by-the-numbers!
-- Will Rogers