Roger Moore forgotten tv star

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
stuart.uk

Roger Moore forgotten tv star

Post by stuart.uk »

After writing about Julie Walters getting a Bafta Fellowship for film and tv work, I wanted to say I wish Roger Moore would get the same honor.

His films include The Sins Of Rachel Cade, Vendetta For The Saint, The Fiction Makers, The Man Who Haunted Himself, the Bond films, Gold, The Sea Wolves and North Sea Hyjack.

However, I think Roger, who made his last tv series in 1971, despite his massive contribution to the UK tv, is largely forgotten by modern day audiences for his work on the small screen.

Ivanhoe was a big hit in the 50s

The American made The Alaskans was his only total failure, not even screening in the UK

The American made Maverick, where he played Beau Maverick was more successfull

However, his biggest tv hit was The Saint, which was hugely popular all over the world

The Persauders with Tony Curtis may have died in America, it was a hit almost everywhere else
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Roger Moore forgotten tv star

Post by moira finnie »

Gee, Stuart, is he really forgotten? I just thought that Sir Roger was retired from the hurly-burly of silver screen and (one hopes) enjoying his private life--though I believe he's still involved in UNICEF, which he's supported for decades.

Maybe he doesn't need the recognition if he's happy in his own life. BTW, here in the US, "The Saint" is still on in reruns forty years on and, as we know, James Bond movies are Forever.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Miora

I'm referring to his televison work. As a tv actor I think his contubution to the small screen in the UK is up there with the great John Thaw, but I don't think he gets the credit he deserves, mainly because his last show The Persauders was made 43 years ago
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Stuart,

In the Pacific Northwest and many of my friends do love ROGER MOORE in his role in SAINT and MAVERICK series and his work in THE PERSUADERS is a cult favorite among people up here and they still talk about it today. I'm a huge SAINT fan and he made it a very highly successful one indeed. Matter of fact, both SAINT and MAVERICK is showing up here on a daily basis ... I do watch both of them on a regular basis.

His Theme Music and Greatest Bond ... THE SPY WHO LOVED ME

[youtube][/youtube]

Is still being talked about and one of the greatest one-liners he said in that movie was "Egyptian Builders" with his fight with JAWS in the Pyramids in Egypt is a classic. To me, that was one of his many legacy of his role as 007; and gave JAMES BOND a more humorous approach and it's delighted many BOND fans for years to come.