Truly Guilty Pleasures

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
rohanaka

Re: Truly Guilty Pleasures

Post by rohanaka »

jdb1 wrote:I don't even like to think of the countless hours I've spent in front of the TV over the years watching completely idiotic fare.
Oh me.. just the thought of counting those countless hours... I am sure I would have to crawl in a hole and never show my face in the light of day again, ha. :roll:
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

rohanaka wrote:
jdb1 wrote:I don't even like to think of the countless hours I've spent in front of the TV over the years watching completely idiotic fare.
Oh me.. just the thought of counting those countless hours... I am sure I would have to crawl in a hole and never show my face in the light of day again, ha. :roll:
No, No, No, ro -- on the contrary. We''ve got something that not everyone has -- astounding depth of knowledge -- and we've gotten it from TV. My long, long, long (long, long) years of TV watching have filled me full of all sorts of arcane facts and figures that may seem useless. That is, until somebody needs them.

I am constantly asked -- "How do you know those things?" And my constant (and unironic) answer is -- "Well, I read books, and I also watch television." I'll probably be sitting in front of that screen until the Reaper comes for me. Maybe he'll watch "Ghoul-A-GoGo" with me before we leave.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Oh, man. I am truly among the lost now. I just discovered that the original British version of Who Do You Think You Are? episodes are all over youtube. Jeremy Irons, Brian Blessed, John Hurt, Julie Walters, Stephen Fry, Annie Lennox and others--as well as people I have never heard of--are among those taking this cathartic voyage into their past. Jeez, I think a youtube fast is on the menu soon.

Also, while I am spilling my guts, Antiques Roadshow UK has recently garnered my attention on the Ovation Channel on cable and on youtube. Not only do they have more aesthetically interesting, older and sometimes wildly historical stuff in Britain, but the people who attend all look like Dickens' characters in modern dress. Oh, yeah. Most (but by no means all) of the attendees tend to dress better than Americans who come to the PBS version. I know they are all standing in line all day to get their items reviewed, but if you KNOW you might be on television, wouldn't you wear something better than a tee shirt, cutoffs and flip flops?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I hadn't thought about it much but "Antiques Roadshow" is probably mine of more recent shows. I don't collect anything but I guess I find many of the stories of the families and the history of the item interesting. I don't go looking for it but if I stumble on it I'll watch.

One show I do like is "History Detective" on PBS. It's very much like "Roadshow" but it is more about authenticating for people if items might have been involved in real history. I love history so that holds more appeal.

And Moira, the answer to your question is "no." A good many people don't have any worries about what they wear in public.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

That's why I don't go out in public.