Storm Clouds in our Future?

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Lzcutter
Administrator

Storm Clouds in our Future?

Post by Lzcutter »

Any way you slice it, this does not sound good:

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/morn ... yoffs.html

Here's hoping our favorite movie channel -and its employees and our friends- come through unscathed. :(
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

jdb1

Re: Storm Clouds in our Future?

Post by jdb1 »

“start 2015 a more streamlined, nimble and efficient company focused on driving programming, monetization and innovation, in a culture that emphasizes and rewards continuous improvement,"

Oh, dear. Words like "streamlined," "driving," "rewards," and especially "monetization" sound a lot more corporate than cultural.

This is the kind of press that was buzzing around the venerable Brooklyn Museum a few years ago. The Brooklyn Museum is one of the country's largest, and has enviable collections of art and historical items, and a world-class Egyptology department. But now that wonderful institution has become less the Brooklyn Museum, and a lot more the Brooklyn House of Pretentious Profit-Making Schemes That Also Has Some Art Stuff in the Back.

From the tone of the article, I guess we can expect more trends-of-the-minute and less classics. And maybe even --Gasp -- commercials??? Oh, woe.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

The Wall Street Journal" and another source I heard says the NBA has announced an extension of their TV deal with Disney (they own ESPN) and Turner. The deal reportedly will cost the two networks almost double their annual fee. Turner currently pays about $445 million per year. The deal would run through 2024.

That is where some of the money will go. So, if we can't watch the RKO library it will be because they think we'll watch the Washington Wizards. (I live close by and I don't even watch them.)
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Wow, I hope it doesn't turn into a reality TV cesspool like so many other once terrific cable networks have done. It wouldn't fit with the name of the channel, but neither do AMC or MTV or Discovery Channel anymore. Nothing surprises me these days. Even having commercials interrupt the film would be terrible.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I'm sure the thing will be for Turner to charge higher subscription fees and higher advertising fees. My fear is that someday they'll just shut down TCM. I have no idea what TCM subscriber fees are but they are generating some income.
Chris

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Since it's is a relatively small audience that is attracted to classic movies, if a subscriber fee is required, it may only be as small as $5.00 a month. They've been trying to attract younger views for years, and apparently are not doing very well so they may become either another AMC with commercials or strive for only 70's and up movies. I can't understand why with so many college grads moving back home because they cannot find jobs, and so many retirement villages filled to max where you can't find a smaller place to live (like me), why do the suits all think their money is coming from the younger generation, as in the case of Longmire? If the older folks are hanging on due to better health because of education on food and exercise, we may outlive the suits due to their stress and anxiety due to their jobs, and we will have the last laugh with our DVD's.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

They've been trying to attract younger views for years, and apparently are not doing very well so they may become either another AMC with commercials or strive for only 70's and up movies.
Anne,

TCM has actually been very successful in attracting a wide demographic over the last five to seven years. The myth is that TCM is just a channel for the over 50 crowd but the reality is the channel a wide variety of ages from teens to senior citizens.

This has helped the channel not only widen its demographic but its brand appeal.

You would likely be surprised at the number of teens and 20-somethings-not to mention those in their 30s- who attend the Film Festival each year.

Also, the Fan Programmers who appeared for the 20th anniversary in April ran the gamut in age.

Classic films appeal to wide audience and those who loved classic films in the 1960s and 1970s have done a great job of passing that legacy on to their children and their grand kids, and now their great grand kids and are continuing to nurture the audience that depends on TCM to deliver a wide variety of films, from the greats to the B- programmers to the Z grade fillers, cult favorites, foreign films and everything in between all on one channel.

Long may she live!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Lz:

Although I live a fairly comfortable life on my social security and my late husbands and my pensions, it still doesn't allow for trips like the TCM Film Festivals. I would have loved to attend one before I leave this earth but it just is not in the cards for me, so I've never had an opportunity to discuss the channel with any younger folks or see any actual young people enjoying what I've enjoyed for over 50 years. However, if they should have to go to commercials, I wouldn't mind if they followed the lead of the PBS stations. Another reason I love to watch PBS, other than the exemplary programming, is they have about a 10 minute showing of various commercials at the beginning of each show. This offers the opportunity to either watch or go and do some chore or other, although most times you are comfortable and just go ahead and watch the ads. I generally do the daily crossword during those times.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
markfp

Post by markfp »

Having worked in broadcasting for forty years, I can feel for our friends at TCM who are sweating out waiting for "the word" as to who's staying and who's going. Through various owners, we seemed to go through that about every ten years or so. I don't wish that anybody loses their job, but it's always been my understanding that TCM has a relatively small staff, in comparison to the bigger Turner units like CNN, so cuts should be smaller. A small consolation. Good luck to all at TCM and all the Turner networks.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

The latest on the changes to the Turner Empire and it sounds like TCM is poised to roar into the future:

https://willmckinley.wordpress.com/2014 ... s-new-g-m/
Lynn in Lake Balboa

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Masha,

From what I hear, she helped spearhead support for the Film Festival and the Cruise, both of which have helped the channel expand its base without losing sight of its roots.

While she may not have a deep background in classic movies, she seems to have a deep appreciation for makes TCM the TCM beloved by so many!

Here's hoping.....
Lynn in Lake Balboa

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

It doesn't exactly sound like the rebrandings were successful. As the years went on I watched less of those other stations. However, I'm too old.

Nothing wrong with TCM as it is.
Chris

Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I'm kind of nervous about all this and I just hoping that TCM will stick around showing all the classic movies that we loved so much and that alone amounts to the 12 to 18 hours of television watching by this faithful viewer per week that I take so granted.