Jon Stewart leaving the Daily Show

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Lzcutter
Administrator

Jon Stewart leaving the Daily Show

Post by Lzcutter »

As viewers no doubt learned last night, Jon Stewart is calling it a day on the Daily Show. He has been the face of the show for 15 years and I suspect that he may be finding it harder and harder to find the comedy in our society once you take politics out of the mix.

He spoke directly to the audience last night calling his time on the show, "an absolute privilege". He hasn't set a good-bye date yet, he hinted it may be in September, it may in December. The general thought is his contract is up in September though it would be nice to have him anchoring the show through the end of the year.

The big question is now who will Comedy Central find to take his place? The most heir apparents, Steven Colbert and John Oliver, already have commitments.

So, it will be interesting to see they choose.

Who do you think they should tap?
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

mrsl

Re: Jon Stewart leaving the Daily Show

Post by mrsl »

They may find someone to sit in Jon's chair, but they will never find anyone who will fill his boots. I've been watching him every night since he started and I know I will really miss him. He was a highlight of my 'day'. Being a democrat, naturally I loved his views on almost every subject. For a black on white answer to your question, I cannot think of anyone. They might come up with an unknown. I wish he had made his decision last year because even tho I would miss him, I would have loved to see him take over for Dave Letterman instead of Colbert. Although his personna is supposedly made up, I still think it's close to real.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Anne,

It was funny tonight when Stewart led with the question, "did I die" in response to the internet reaction to his announcement.

I told MrC that Stewart had made the internet cry today in the wake of that announcement and then to have Colin Firth as the guest say that he had "found a tear in his eye" upon hearing the news made my point even better.

I don't think anyone can fill Stewart's shoes. I will miss him terribly as he was great at lampooning society and as one who agreed with his politics I usually found much to enjoy. I don't think he is easily replaceable.

But I can't see Comedy Central retiring the show. At this point the show is too valuable to them. Along with "South Park", it is the most identifiable show they have and so I believe there will be another host.

Perhaps a woman?

If so, whom? Sarah Silverman? Tina Fey? Amy Poehler?
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Masha

Post by Masha »

My first thought was: James Corden but I have read now that he has signed to a different show.

My first thought for a woman is: Emma Watson. It may seem odd choice but I believe she could revel in it.

I wonder if Matt Smith is available. I feel he could handle format well after having seen him on Graham Norton show.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

They would be insane to not cast a woman. Is Samantha Bee still one of their reporters? Sarah Silverman is pretty vulgar. But pretty much everything passes these days. Amy Sedaris could do it. As Mrs L said, they could go with someone not known to the masses. That would probably be best! Tina Fey or any number of SNL alumni would be good. But they might prefer to concentrate on their film careers. Not that I'm in the loop on this!

I'm going to say something heretical now. I never cared for Stewart. I love Colbert, Oliver. The shows are brilliant. My problem with Stewart is that HE thinks he's funny. That's death for a comedian. And that filthy mouth! Every other word is bleeped. That's not wit. It's the opposite of it. Forgive my unpopular, and ill-timed, opinion. Of course, I wish the gentleman all the best!
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Red:

It's funny that you refer to Jon's vulgarity. I agree he does cuss often, actually that is more and more lately, than previously but still not as much as some do, and some of his words are not necessary to be bleeped. On the other hand, Sarah Silverman turns me off like a light switch. She would be just too disturbing for me.

The one who would fill in and give it a real go would be Whoopi Goldberg. Her comments often coincide with what Jon said the night before. She's great on The View, but too restrained. She could be a little more forthright on something like The Daily Show.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************