BBC Suggestions

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
charliechaplinfan

Re: BBC Suggestions

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Call The Midwife went down a storm here, I didn't see it but I know plenty who did.

I'm sure Stuart won't say anything, we all know that you guys have to wait for Downton.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

moirafinnie wrote: While you're waiting, has anyone checked out Call the Midwife on PBS?
http://www.pbs.org/programs/call-the-midwife/
I've been watching it. Really liked the first 2 episodes, 3rd episode was OK. Not sure how it would appeal to men since the characters are nuns, nurse/midwives, tenement women giving birth at home, but the period detail is super and it's holding my interest so far.

BTW, anyone wishing for Downton Abbey spoilers need only check the Facebook page...
charliechaplinfan

Ah, modern technology has the ability to spoil surprises. Don't look at the facebook page, I hope that it remains a secret for you.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
charliechaplinfan

I've just watched episode 6 of 8 of Downton, it's gone nowhere and to think I have only 2 episodes left. Personally, I wish they'd delve into greater detail, about the minutiae, I find the social history of the era interesting and there are many threads in this episode. I'd love to know more about the tenency of the farms, the management of the estate, the movement against the aristocracy, the conditions in jail, more about Ireland, Catholics versus Protestants etc. I know I know a lot of it but they could stretch the storylines for me and give them more of build up but I think if you please someone like me with the endless details you might get others switching off in droves. I just wish there colud be a directors cut with more fine detail. It moves too quickly but it's still one of the best things on TV.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

You and I are so alike in this, Alison! If there is one failing for me with the series it's the quick glossing over of period details. I really wish they could go back and add extra episodes in between all of the Downton entries, with all the minutiae of behavior and mores, for each season. Give me some side stories of how the maids get ready for a ball or a sort of South Riding style telling of the political situations of the squires in the neighborhood or something.
charliechaplinfan

Yes, I'd be more content if it was a slower moving soap opera but I guess every episode it expensive to film and location work will only be available for a short window of time. Thinking about the series on the way to school, mulling it over, every character has seen some action, some piece of storyline and that takes some accomodating.
feaito

Post by feaito »

I have watched some very good British adaptations of Dickens' work lately including "Oliver Twist" (2007) (BBC) and "The Little Old Curiosity Shop" (2007) (ITV), but the one that really blew me away was the 15 episode miniseries "Bleak House" (2005) (BBC), arguably one of the best-ever series that I have ever seen in my life. It's a masterpiece of dramatic crescendo. Expertly handled, set, acted and paced. Gillian Anderson is sublime as Lady Dedlock and the uniformly great cast is priceless....I was impressed to see the young Carey Mulligan (who won huge acclaim in recent films "Drive" (2011) and "Shame" (2011). Absolutely recommended!!
charliechaplinfan

I love Bleak House with Gillian Anderson, it was very well done.

Only one episode left of Downton :cry: When does it come to the US so I can discuss it with someone?
feaito

Post by feaito »

Gillian's performance is the example of what a good actress can do with skill, subtlety and downplaying....I fell in love with her Lady Dedlock.

Ali, I pre-ordered Downton's Season 3 on Amazon UK, which will be released on November 5th....so I expect to have it in the course of that month....But we won't be able to chat here either :wink: .....
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I thought Bleak House was excellent as well, Fer. Very suspenseful. I thought Gillian Anderson really knocked it out of the park with this role.
feaito

Post by feaito »

JackFavell wrote:I thought Bleak House was excellent as well, Fer. Very suspenseful. I thought Gillian Anderson really knocked it out of the park with this role.
I'm glad :D
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Did anyone see the version of Great Expectations with Anderson in it? I just wasn't sure about her Miss Havisham. It was daring to show her that way, almost like a child, with that weird wispy voice, but it didn't really come off well for me anyway.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Have heard about that one, but have not seen it Wen.
charliechaplinfan

I think it was made last Christmas but I didn't get chance to watch it at the time.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Season 3 is almost here! It will be on my hands today on the evening.

In the meantime I've seen the best version of "Sense and Sensibility" -so far-, done by the BBC in 2008 with Hattie Morahan, Charity Wakefield and Dan Stevens (Downton Abbey's Matthew); "Miss Austen Regrets" (superb) and the very atmospheric & gothic "Northanger Abbey" (2007), with Felicity Jones.