Two Bs from 1947: FRAMED and THE DEVIL THUMBS A RIDE

ChiO

Two Bs from 1947: FRAMED and THE DEVIL THUMBS A RIDE

Post by ChiO »

I saw FRAMED (Richard Wallace) and THE DEVIL THUMBS A RIDE (Felix Feist) for the first time yesterday. FRAMED takes a screen staple of -- SPOILER ALERT -- framing an out-of-towner, Glenn Ford, for a crime and murder. Ben Maddow's script, Burnett Guffey's cinematography and one of the most deliciously sinister femme fatales ever bring life to what otherwise might be a tired storyline.

THE DEVIL THUMBS A RIDE, with Lawrence Tierney playing -- SPOILER ALERT -- a gruff, hard-boiled, criminal with no redeeming qualities, easily climbs into my list of favorite noirs. Gotta love a movie where even the good guys (and gals) are on the make and hiding something, and only the bad guy (and gal) seem on the up-and-up as they're conning or killing everyone in sight. If there had been some voice-over narration, it might have reached perfection.

Thank you, Dr. Dewey, for pointing these out to me.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Dewey1960

Re: Two Bs from 1947

Post by Dewey1960 »

Hey ChiO - You're very welcome! FRAMED is definitely a noir waiting to be rediscovered (or, for many, simply discovered). Not only a bang-up early Glenn Ford performance (bitter, very bitter) but a spectacular one from Janis Carter, one of noir's most unheralded femmes fatales. Between this film and NIGHT EDITOR from the year before (also a Columbia B), she should be much better known and appreciated. Perhaps Sony (who controls the rights to these Columbia films) will see fit to issue these two on a DVD set. THE DEVIL THUMBS A RIDE is a seminal B and despite having had the luxury of being produced and released through RKO, the film is next to impossible to see. To date it has never had a DVD release. Which is a shame because it truly is a remarkable showcase for Lawrence Tierney's peculiar talents. And, at a lightning-paced 62 minutes it resembles nothing less than a speeding night train to the brain. I'm especially thrilled to have both of these great Bs as part of our Noir program at the Roxie this May!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Professor Dewey, a question occurs to me after reading about the rarity of these sizzling sounding films and those other scarce as hen's teeth flicks on your film noir parade next month. How do you find usable prints of the rarer movies? How did you get permission to exhibit them? Is it all about "who you know"? Thanks.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Hey again, Moira! Fortunately a good number of these titles are considered to be in the "public domain" and circumvent the ownership issue. Other titles, such as studio releases, require permission (and a fee). Often times a studio may still retain ownership of a film but can no longer service exhibitors with a playable print nor are they particularly interested in creating one. Of course that's not always the case, but with the more obscure B titles, it does seem to be a prevailing attitude.

The vast majority of the titles we'll be running are beautiful 16mm prints; in many cases, 35mm prints on these titles don't even exist (or at least don't seem to exist.) Over the years I've been fortunate enough to develop good relationships with a wide range of film collectors who are only too happy to make their prints available to me. (So yes, in a sense it is about who you know!) Incidentally, another nice thing about playing these films at the Roxie is the fact that structurally the theater is perfect for 16mm projection, given the distance from the projector to the screen and the tightness of the room. The image is sharp and crisp and the sound is top notch. This would not necessarily be the case in a bigger, more expansive theater like the Castro (also in San Francisco) where the image would be much cloudier and the sound would get lost in all that space.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Oh no...I just got my heart cut by Frances Gifford in "The Arnelo Affair." Don't tell me I've got to get the rest of ruined by Janis Carter? Awwwright. Tell me where I can find "FRAMED"??
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Hey CineMaven - I think you'll enjoy the relatively unheralded Janis Carter. Both FRAMED and NIGHT EDITOR are superb examples of her grotesque charms as a devious femme fatale. Where can you get copies of these excellent B noirs? Try the link below; my pals at the Danger and Despair Knitting Circle provide many rare titles for sale at low, reasonable prices. Check 'em out! (Or, you could fly out to San Francisco to see FRAMED at my B noir series at the Roxie later this month!)
http://noirfilm.com/haves_page2.htm
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Dude, don't do it. Please don't tempt me with the "fly out to Frisco for my noir festival." That would be a deliriously crazy thing for me to do. Now I know I could probably find it on the board...but I am a lazy baby boomer, so would you please answer the five "W's" for me:

When is the festival and "Framed" being shown AND "Night Editor"??
Where is it being shown?
How much is a ticket for that night?

Yeah...I know I am two "W's" short and used an "H" but I'm a movie buff...not a reporter. I love femme fatales or as I love to call 'em: Lethal Ladies.

And second tier actresses like: Frances Gifford, Janis Carter, Ramsay Ames et al.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039396/usercomments

If I flew out there I'd want the red carpet, star treatment, a free movie ticket AND a bag of Twizzlers!

Deal?

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Hey, CM, MOE here....
just a word to the wise.....
Never call it "Frisco", or the Dewmeister might just ban you from the site :shock: :mrgreen: :shock:

Moe knows...
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

The when part for FRAMED is Sunday, May 17. The whole "festival" (really, can a bunch of grungy little noir B films be thought of as a...festival?) runs from Friday, May 15 through Thursday, May 28. NIGHT EDITOR isn't on the schedule.
Where would be the Roxie Theater in San Francico (call it "Frisco" at your own risk; thanks, Moe!)
Whow much (the dubya is silent)? For you, my fine friend, nada; you can expect to be on the VIP guest list (along with Mook Ryan and Brother ChiO)!!
Twizzlers (not sure exactly if they're on the Roxie menu) are on the house! See you there!
klondike

Post by klondike »

Dewey1960 wrote:
you can expect to be on the VIP guest list (along with Mook Ryan and Brother ChiO!!
Speaking of that pantherish princess of beat-noirism, Dr. D, where has our beloved Mookie gotten off to :( ? I miss her pithy postings, as I'm sure do many others here at SSO!!
If you can't divulge her dapper-dame hideout, at least do tell her we're thinkin' of her!

{psst, Moe - call Willie Thumbs, tell him I need a tail on the Dewster!}
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Lefty, Willie has been in the joint for the last 6 months. Kind of an enforced vacation, if ya get my drift. Snakes Snapely is available, I'll ring him up.
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Speaking of that pantherish princess of beat-noirism, where has our beloved Mookie gotten off to?

Worry not, K-Man, our beloved Mookie is around and well, but busy and pre-occupied. I will most definitely let her know that she is missed around these parts and, with a little luck, we'll be graced again with her presence soon!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

YIKES!!! My apologies to the great city by the Bay. I will only refer to San Francisco as San Francisco. Do I have to sing it the way the Village People did???

Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

The City by the Bay graciously and appreciatively accepts your apology,
Madame Maven (although, really, none was necessary). Just as long as
we get to see you do this little number on the Roxie stage...
[youtube][/youtube]
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I will wear the Indian outfit. Love those feathers. Makes me think of Sally Rand. I know...I know...she used fans.