Noir Films

JackFavell

Re: Noir Films

Post by JackFavell »

Awww. man. It's so sad we have to be so careful. But it's funny seeing it from the kid's perspective! And of course, she's perfectly right. Very literal.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

"I've given up kissing strange women."
"Oh? What made you give it up?"
"Strange women!"

From MY FAVORITE BLONDE.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

kingrat, apparently there is a restored print of THE HOODLUM, but for some reason this is not the copy TCM has shown both times they showed the movie. It's the same mangled print that is on the commercial DVD that I own. Very frustrating to watch. The only movie that I can recall TCM showing that was of an even more battered print was DEAD MEN WALK.

Tierney's career was starting to peter out by the time he made THE HOODLUM, and it shows.

If anyone is interested in learning more about Tierney, here's the link to a fascinating website devoted to this fascinating man:

http://www.lawrencetierney.com/

Lots of goodies not only about Larry but also brother Scott Brady.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I just watched the movie Violent Saturday, and I don't exactly know where to post about it. So I'll post here.

I really liked this movie a lot, much much better than The Narrow Margin which was also directed by Richard Fleischer and which I saw a couple of years ago as my very first noir (at least the first film I KNEW was a noir and watched on purpose for that very fact).

One of the great pleasures of Violent Saturday is the way it's laid out, slowly, methodically, like cards being set out for a tarot reading. We meet each person - a genial traveling businessman, his older friend, and finally their buddy, who has a little nasal allergy problem, as they are coming into town. They are a likable bunch, who even stop to chat with some Amish folk, but after a few minutes it becomes clear that our heroes are hoodlums who are only there to rob the local bank. Our fellow with the allergies seems to have a terrible addiction to his nose spray, and this is where the movie opens outward, cluing us in on the weaknesses of our cast of characters. The secrets of the townfolk are revealed while our heroes are squatting, waiting for the perfect moment for their heist.

It's a fascinating bunch, here in Bradenville. Every person has their dark side. I just loved this Peyton Place aspect of the movie. The bank manager, Tommy Noonan, has a yen for a young woman (Virginia Leith, with full body this time), and secretly watches her undress at night from below her window. The young woman has a crush on the very married Richard Egan, whose wife is playing around with the golf pro. The librarian (marvelously played by Sylvia Sydney) steals money from handbags sitting unattended, and isn't above a little blackmail when Noonan finds out what she's doing. Our real hero doesn't show up until quite late in the story... he's Victor Mature, playing a mining engineer whose son has gotten into a fight because his best friend told him his dad didn't fight in the war. Mature tries to explain to the boy that it takes all types of people to win a war, not just the soldiers, but we know this is a lame excuse.

Well, anyway, to make a long story short, the heist takes place just as all the separate stories are coming to a head. Mature is nabbed for his car and taken to the Amish farm until the gang can make their getaway. He and the Amish family are bound and left in the hayloft. As the robbery goes down, each one of the townspeople we've met enters the bank. Everything goes wrong of course, but the gang escapes and heads back to the farm where meanwhile, Mature has gotten free. The Amish father must make a decision about whether or not to help, when he knows killing is wrong. Did I mention he's played by Ernie Borgnine? At this point I realized I'd seen the end of this movie before, and liked it. And I still like it....how can you not enjoy a shoot out at the old barn? There's a lot of suspense, considering that we know that Mature will be redeemed in his son's eyes, and that everything will work out for our various townsfolk, sort of.

And this is only Saturday! Heaven help us, there's gonna be a lot of atonement in Bradenville on Sunday. :D

What I liked about this movie the most was the economy of it. Everything was told just right, no extra lingering over it. Richard Egan gave what I think might be the single best performance I've ever seen him give. I liked everyone in the cast, Including an excellent-as-always Lee Marvin as our nose spray addict, J. Carroll Naish as the older hood, and the sorely underrated Stephen McNally as the brains of the operation. Brad Dexter is the golf pro, Dorothy Patrick is Mature's wife (they have a good if strained relationship thanks to Billy Chapin, the son who can't look up to his old man.) and Margaret Hayes as Mrs. Richard Egan, who manages a change of heart, falling back in love with her rich hubby at the last minute. Even the stuffy old woman whose purse gets stolen did a great job. I feel I should talk again about the wonderful Sylvia Sydney, who deserves a second mention and a second chance as the klepto. God she was good.
Vienna

Post by Vienna »

Great review! It's a great mix of characters in VIOLENT SATURDAY and I agree that it may be Richard Egan's best performance.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Vienna wrote:Great review! It's a great mix of characters in VIOLENT SATURDAY and I agree that it may be Richard Egan's best performance.
I second that too. With great respect JF. :)
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks Vienna and kingme! I really like all those separate strings or stories pulled together taut at the end of the film. It was a much better film than I was expecting, and it makes me want to go back and find more of Fleischer's work. I had no idea he was related to the Fleischers of Popeye fame....
feaito

Post by feaito »

Yesterday I was checking some favorite channels and Moviecity Classics was airing (it had begun almost 40 minutes before) Michael Gordon's "The Web" (1947) which looked like a Noir, with Ella Raines, Vincent Price, a young Edmond O´Brien and Bill Bendix. The small sequence I watched was really interesting with Raines so sexy as usual. I hope it'll be scheduled soon again.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That's a movie I'm longing to see... Ella is marvelous, but her films are few and far between.
Vienna

Post by Vienna »

I saw The Web a couple of years ago and remember enjoying it. Ella Raines got top billing.She plays Vincent Price's secretary. Price is no good and tries to embroil Edmond O'Brien in murder. William Bendix also in it as a cop.
feaito

Post by feaito »

I knew it was a good film :roll: ...I'm keeping my fingers crossed for re-scheduling!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Have no fear cara mia Feaito. You can see it here:

I love Ella Raines. Just looking at the footage underneath the credits here, I see my beloved New York City. I know that route, it goes right on Park Avenue through Grand Central at 42nd Street. Have I mentioned I love Ella. She sort of sounds like Joanne Woodward just a leeeetle bit. Edmond O'Brien plays a lawyer named Robert Regan... (( Hey BOB!!! You lucky stiff, you get to dally with Ella Raines!!! ))

Robert Regan ( Edmond 0'Brien ) : "What do you do Saturday nights?"
Noel Farraday ( Ella Raines ) : "Oh, play marbles with the girls next door."

Yeeeeeup! Tell us wha'cha think. Something for Bendix babes too. He's got some groupies too.

I'm liking your review of "Violent Saturday" Wendy. Again you've whet my curiosity. Hey, wouldn't it have been swell to see Ella play opposite Victor Mature? Well...that sends my mind reeling.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thank you Maven!! :D