Noir Films

JackFavell

Re: Noir Films

Post by JackFavell »

Maven, I love your review of BTK as much as you love the movie! Esther Howard is divine. This is my favorite of her movies so far. She's the best thing in a movie full of great stuff. I would kill to have a moment on stage or screen like Esther does in movie after movie.

Do you suppose that Susan Tyrell ever watched Esther Howard? or maybe she just channeled her?
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

WHAT?!! You are good!

- - in "FAT CITY."

Do you know HOW good you are Wendy? What a great comparison. I'm floored.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks!! you are too kind. :oops:
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I always thought that "falling for bad boys" thing was a lot of nonsense. But I'm a good boy. And I'm so NOT a ladies man. Maybe there's something to it!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

NY Noir is vertical whereas LA Noir is horizontal

That's a very interesting observation. From what I've heard, that's pretty much the way life is in those cities. LA oriented books read that way too. "I drove to Pasadena to meet the crooked lawyer. He told me about a corrupt banker in Santa Monica, who referred me to a disgraced plastic surgeon in San Jose. I didn't know the way."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Red, that is too funny. you made me chuckle with that line.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

This morning on TCM, all manner of noir ( gassy, gothy, this-dark-old-house ) was showcased that for the most part doesn't involve a fedora. a trenchcoat and a lethal blonde.

6:00 AM CAST A DARK SHADOW (1955) A wife-killer marries an innocent barmaid and plots her death.
Dir: Lewis Gilbert Cast:  Dirk Bogarde, Margaret Lockwood, Kay Walsh.

7:30 AM GASLIGHT (1944) A newlywed fears she's going mad when strange things start happening at the family mansion.
Dir: George Cukor Cast:  Charles Boyer, Ingrid Bergman, Joseph Cotten.

9:30 AM THE TWO MRS. CARROLLS (1947) A woman slowly discovers that her artist husband is a deranged killer. Dir: Peter Godfrey Cast:  Humphrey Bogart, Barbara Stanwyck, Alexis Smith.

11:30 AM AUTUMN LEAVES (1956) A woman falls for a younger man with severe mental problems.
Dir: Robert Aldrich Cast:  Joan Crawford, Vera Miles, Lorne Greene .

1:30 PM UNDERCURRENT (1946) A sheltered woman realizes that either her husband or his mysterious brother is a psychopath. Dir: Vincente Minnelli Cast:  Katharine Hepburn, Robert Taylor, Robert Mitchum .

3:30 PM EXPERIMENT PERILOUS (1944) A small-town doctor tries to help a beautiful woman with a deranged husband. Dir: Jacques Tourneur Cast:  Hedy Lamarr, George Brent, Paul Lukas .

5:15 PM REBECCA (1940) A young bride is terrorized by the memories of her husband's glamorous first wife.
Dir: Alfred Hitchcock Cast:  Laurence Olivier, Joan Fontaine, George Sanders.

You guys came up with a great list of films in the other thread, that might be considered "gaslight noir" "gothic noir" "costume era noir":

"Adventures of Sherlock Holmes"
"All This and Heaven, Too"
"Bluebeard"
"The Body Snatcher"
"Cast A Dark Shadow"
"A Doubl Life"
"Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde"
"Dragonwyck"
"Experiment Perilous"
"Footsteps in the Fog"
"Gaslight" ( 1944 )
"Hangover Square"
"The Heiress"
"House By the River"
"House of Wax"
"The Innocents"
"Kings Row"
"Letter From An Unknown Woman"
"The Light That Failed"
"The Little Foxes"
"The Lodger"
"Lured"
"The Picture of Dorian Gray"
"Reign 0f Terror"
"Scandal In Paris"
"Secret Beyond the Door"
"Seventh Veil"
"Sleep, My Love"
"So Long At The Fair"
"Spiral Staircase"
"The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry"
"The Suspect"
"The Verdict"

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

A woman falls for a younger man with severe mental problems

Let me know if anyone wants an OLDER man with such issues!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

RedRiver wrote:A woman falls for a younger man with severe mental problems

Let me know if anyone wants an OLDER man with such issues!
The nameless heroine in Rebecca (1940) at 5:15pm (ET) seems to find Max de Winter, "an OLDER man with such issues" to be catnip. Maybe you could take notes on his behavior and apply them to the real world. Rename your home Manderlay, get some strange lady to keep house for you, and look for a coltish girl accompanying Florence Bates to the Riviera. You should be all set.

It's 3 degrees here today (I'm not making that up), and it's a great afternoon to toodle around the house while watching some Gothic Noirs. Thanks for the heads up about today's lineup.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

kingrat asked: Isn't ChiO a big fan of Felix Feist as a director?
ChiO replied: Right you are...Because of HOW TO BE A DETECTIVE (1936, short), THE DEVIL THUMBS A RIDE (1947), THE THREAT (1949), THE MAN WHO CHEATED HIMSELF (1950), THE BASKETBALL FIX (1951), THIS WOMAN IS DANGEROUS (1952) and now this, Felix Feist has become another of my minor obsessions.

I might also add that the key entry is THE DEVIL THUMBS A RIDE (1947). Starring Lawrence Tierney. No bonus points for guessing to whose character the title may be alluding.
My father said, never get into a car with a strange man. ...0r pick up hitchhikers. He never said anything about not following a man's suggestions on a classic films message board, so I guess that's okay. Heeere goes. Boy, I hope Felix gets feisty:

Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Gosh, just looking at that expression on Larry's face reveals all. Good if little known Tierney film noir. Another guy, like my guy Georgie, who I'd like to give a butt-kick to in regards to his career. Heck, he had no less than DeMille in his corner until drunken, off-camera escapades threw Larry's career another curve. Self-destructive fool.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Yes, but I find that these stories about Tierney and say, oh... Tom Neal add so much to the noir lore. Where does fantasy end and reality begin? It's only fitting that these guys were done in by their own mental precariousness and their proximity to an unreal world.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Tom Neal. Yes, a good addition, Wendy. Guys like him and Tierney lived noir outside of the studio. Tierney was fortunate to eventually survive and enjoy a new following. Neal, however, ended his life mowing lawns.
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

Cinemaven said.
My father said, never get into a car with a strange man. .
A neice of mine Anne was offered a lift. This was seen by my sister, who called her . When she got home Ann was taken to task. “ You know you are not allowed to speak to strange men.” Anne said “he`s not strange Mummy, he`s just old”. Anne was sent to her room, but returned a few minutes later with a kiddies story book. In it was a picture of a strange man—an ogre with two heads.

Henceforth a stranger became “someone you don`t know