Film Noir Foundation Video Archive

moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Film Noir Foundation Video Archive

Post by moira finnie »

Norman Lloyd is interviewed by Alan K. Rode as the guest of the Film Noir Foundation at a screening of the excellent Scene of the Crime (1949-Roy Rowland). The vital 97-year-old talks about everything from Hitchcock to St. Elsewhere and beyond.

In Part I, the nonagenarian tells tales out of school about Dore Schary and the cluelessness of some MGM types, and shines a light on the accomplished yet underrated character actor Tom Powers:
[youtube][/youtube]

In Part II, the actor discusses his origins in the theater (a mere 80 years ago), The Federal Theatre, working with Orson Welles and the Mercury players, the Haitian version of Macbeth that took the NY theater by storm, and the role of voodoo in the death of a theater critic! He also talks about his first film with Hitch, the innovative woman producer Joan Harrison, Saboteur, Spellbound and later The Alfred Hitchcock television show, where Harrison talked Lloyd into becoming the producer of the program:
[youtube][/youtube]

Part III is a bit of a valentine to directors he has known--Chaplin, Hitchcock, Renoir and Welles, whose spectacular creativity and self-destructive side are both remembered by Lloyd from a clear-eyed, yet affectionate perspective.
[youtube][/youtube]

Part IV discusses the role of Alma Reville in Hitchcock's achievements, his work with director Anthony Mann in Reign of Terror
[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

My gosh, he doesn't look a day over 86! :D

Boy they got the "national treasure" part right.

I love the fact that Ben Johnson got a mention! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That was a great interview, fascinating stuff about Welles and Hitch and Alma Reville and Joan Harrison. Not enough time to tell every story he probably has, unfortunately. I would love to hear more about Eva LeGallienne's company.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Richard Erdman is a living legend, a working actor, and very funny. As our SSO member Alan K. Rode mentions in his introduction, Mr. Erdman has worked with directors as varied as Michael Curtiz, Raoul Walsh, Fred Zinneman, Fritz Lang, and everyone from Charlie Chaplin to Errol Flynn to Claude Rains to Marlon Brando. He is still working as part of the ensemble cast on the NBC show, Community. Here's a chance to hear just a few of his stories in an interview connected to the Film Noir Foundation's screening of Cry Danger (1951- Robert Parrish), an excellent film noir that gave Erdman a fine part. That's not the only topic of course...

[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

The Film Noir Foundation has posted a new trio of clips from an interview with Patricia Crowley, the veteran actress who began her career in the '50s. The actress made an interesting film with director Phil Karlson, called Key Witness (1960), which was shown at the 12th Annual Arthur Lyons Film Noir Festival in Palm Springs, CA in May, 2012. Crowley talks about her beginnings in film in Forever Female (1953) starring Ginger Rogers & Paul Douglas (and with a peevish William Holden, who much later apologized to her for his behavior). She also touches on her many appearances in television series from Maverick (James Garner remembered her fondly in his recent memoir) to the quasi-classic, the fondly recalled Please Don't Eat the Daisies.

Most of all, Ms. Crowley recalls working with the "serious director" Karlson and the under-rated Jeffrey Hunter, Dennis Hopper, and Corey Allen in a script that displayed an understanding of a hipster vibe and the roiling issues of violence and personal responsibility in modern society. The film is also notable for the memorable score by Charles Wolcott.

Some people regard this film as comparable to Hunter's riveting work in Brainstorm (1965). See what you think.

If you would like to see Key Witness (1960), that video has been included in this post after the Patricia Crowley interviews.

[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]

Key Witness (1960)
[youtube][/youtube]

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

this is timely because, coincidentally, i added key witness to my youtube watch list just yesterday!
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Alan K. Rode interviews Kathleen Hughes, the niece of screenwriter F. Hugh Herbert (not the comedian, but the author of The Women in His Life, Three Faces West, Sitting Pretty among other films). As an actress she began her movie career in a small scene in Road House (1948-Jean Negulesco) with Cornel Wilde. This moment was eventually cut from the film, but she went on working at Fox. After brief appearances in movies such as Mr. Belvedere Goes to College, Where the Sidewalk Ends, and Mister 880 while under contract at 20th Century Fox, she went on to appearances in The Glass Web (1953) with Edward G. Robinson, Cult of the Cobra (1955), Three Bad Sisters (1956), and memorably It Came from Outer Space (1953), which was ideal for her, since, as Ms. Hughes mentions, she was "quite three dimensional" in those days. She comes across as a very nice lady with several interesting comments on working with director Jack Arnold and a glimpse of the gentle side of actor Richard Widmark and others.

Enjoy!

[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I just came across this delightful interview with Ann Blyth by Film Noir Foundation honcho Eddie Muller. The occasion was a 2006 screening of Mildred Pierce (1945) at the Castro Theater in San Francisco. It sure looks like fun. BTW, embedding is not possible. Please follow the link to youtube to view this one at:
[youtube][/youtube]

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Alan Ladd fans, take heart! David Ladd, one of the actor's children (and a mover and shaker in Hollywood today) is interviewed by Alan K. Rode about the forgotten gem, The Great Gatsby (1949) and his family history:

[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]

I will be posting this in the Alan Ladd thread that we have on the boards as well.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Oh my goodness! How wonderful! I will try to watch this later today, thank you, Moira!
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

MissGoddess wrote:Oh my goodness! How wonderful! I will try to watch this later today, thank you, Moira!
You're welcome Yul...er, I mean, Miss G. (Your avatar du jour is as intimidating as it is impressive!! :wink: )

I knew that others might be psyched to see this Ladd-related interview posted too.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
moira finnie
Administrator

Film Noir Foundation Video Archive: Peter Ford

Post by moira finnie »

This month Peter Ford, the son of Glenn Ford and Eleanor Powell is on deck reminiscing about being a child of Hollywood, and, at least on screen, the son of the vengeful cop Dave Bannion in The Big Heat (1953) at a recent showing of that Fritz Lang film. The younger Ford, who has been a past TCM Classic Film Festival participant, "walks the line between respect and truth" in writing his recent biography of his father. He is interviewed by the writer and film historian Eddie Muller of The Film Noir Foundation.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

The FNF hosted a screening of filmmaker Hugo Haas' Strange Fascination (1952) with one of the cast members, Karen Sharpe Kramer in attendance. Ms. Sharpe was also Mrs. Stanley Kramer, who also appeared in many films, including The Sniper and The High and the Mighty. This three part interview that touches on her career, her impressions of those she worked with and her private life a little is quite interesting. Haas, whose low budget films deserve more attention than they have received, never seems to have been a critics' darling, though I think his movies are fairly compelling in their raffish way. I'm particularly fond of Lizzie (1957), based on a Shirley Jackson novel and featuring Eleanor Parker in a bravura role as the troubled heroine. Trouble was, Lizzie was released just before the big budget, heavily advertised Three Faces of Eve, which was not as gritty or human, IMHO.

BTW, you can see Strange Fascination at the link below online for free:

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

http://viooz.eu/movies/13152-strange-fa ... -1952.html

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Just heard from Dwayne Epstein that my review of Lee Marvin, Point Blank appears in the latest edition of Noir City!
I am sooooo tickled about this!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Sue Sue, that's fantastic! Congrats!

I am assuming you gave it two thumbs up! I read through that book like a house afire, in about two days, it was that good.