Caught (1949) - James Mason, Robert Ryan AND Max Ophuls!

MissGoddess

Caught (1949) - James Mason, Robert Ryan AND Max Ophuls!

Post by MissGoddess »

TCM is airing Caught on Monday, March 21, 2011 at 10:15 p.m. (EST). I've never seen it but the exciting casting, director and story remniscent of Fritz Lang's Secret Beyond the Door sounds powerfully irresistible. I don't think it is broadcasted too often, so don't miss. Please share your impressions here, if you like.

TCM Article: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/70511/Ca ... icles.html

P.S. Since I have not seen it or read any articles to prevent spoiling it for me, I'm going to make a guess that James Mason plays the mysterious husband,
and Ryan, for a change, is the "good guy" waiting in the wings, a la George Sanders in Rage in Heaven. :D

P.S.S. More discussion here on Secret Beyond the Door:

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... =18&t=4580

and on Ophuls' magnificent noirish drama, The Reckless Moment:

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... =18&t=3835

Last edited by MissGoddess on March 18th, 2011, 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
charliechaplinfan

Re: Caught (1949) - James Mason, Robert Ryan AND Max Ophuls!

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'll look forward to reading your review after you've watched it, you're right not to read any reviews or synopsis of the film. I watched it a few months ago and was completely enthralled by the plot and the actors. It's one of the best roles James Mason ever played, I'm not overly fimiliar with the other two.

I'd encourage everyone who can to watch it, you won't be dissappointed.

I love the picture attached to the article.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Thank you, CCF -- I know what a James Mason fan you are, and if my guess is right, this role is certainly one he is made for. I adored him in The Reckless Moment. It is by far my favorite performance by him. He broke my heart. Can anyone do the "tortured lover" better? He's like the male Garbo. :D (I mean that as a compliment, by the way).

Robert Ryan is one of my tippy top favorite actors of all time, and the prospect of seeing him cast opposite a great actor of such dissimilar style is enticing. Bel Geddes was in another superb noirish drama, The Long Night, directed by Anatole Litvak (a favorite) and starring Henry Fonda in one of few roles where I actually found him attractive. Vincent Price and Ann Dvorak round out the cast. I highly recommend it to you, I think you would like it.
-- Will Rogers
charliechaplinfan

I think the male Garbo is a good compliment for him, he is a good tortured lover. He's as good in Caught as in The Reckless Moment. I do like James Mason, he's an actor rather than an idol and taken on some interesting roles.

I like Robert Ryan in the films I've seen him, I've just not seen him in many, they are interestig casting together.

I've put The Long Night on my rental list, I like Henry Fonda but like you, don't find him attractive.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I am interested in your impressions of Caught too! For any readers who don't have a chance to see this Ophuls film on Monday, it is currently streaming online at Netflix too.

This movie used to be broadcast on WNEW Ch. 5 in NYC regularly when I was a kid, along with Letter From an Unknown Woman and The Reckless Moment (some programmer at that once fine station must have loved Ophuls). I haven't seen Caught in years, and am now quite interested. Thanks for the heads up, Miss G.

P.S. You will be surprised by some of Caught, which was inspired in part by Max Ophuls' nemesis at RKO, the estimable Howard Hughes.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Ooooh, you've whipped up my curiosity even more, Moira! And thank you for the notice that Netflix has it for streaming. Brilliant.

P.S. I like that new avatar.
:)
-- Will Rogers
charliechaplinfan

I never associated Howard Hughes with this film, I have my own thoughts as to how he comes out on screen but for now I'll keep quiet until others have chance to watch it.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Don't forget to get Caught up tonight, 10:15 (EST)!
-- Will Rogers
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

The Self-Styled Siren is drooling over Caught and has some interesting info on how it got onto the TCM schedule:

http://selfstyledsiren.blogspot.com/
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

pvitari wrote:The Self-Styled Siren is drooling over Caught and has some interesting info on how it got onto the TCM schedule:

http://selfstyledsiren.blogspot.com/
I look forward to reading that after I watch the movie, thank you, Paula!
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I caught Caught last night and I was not disappionted. Ryan was great as always and it was interesting seeing "Howard Hughes" on display. I may be the only one, but I felt sorry for the guy. He was clearly messed up. But I can't help but think of Tony Randall in---is it Lover, Come Back or Pillow Talk?---where he's a neurotic millionaire who goes to his shrink all the time. Ryan often makes me laugh when he's being so sarcastic, almost childish. "I'll show you! You shrinks are all the same." Hahahahahaa!!!

(The scene at the dock also reminded me of a similar one in Days of Wine and Roses).

Anyway, it was Barbara Bel Geddes' character that I could hang my emotions on to. It's a story that unfortunately still goes on today. I like that they did not make it so neatly Smith Ohrig's (Robert Ryan) meanness at fault, but just as much her own inability to make up her mind what was more important to her: money and security (with a crazy husband), or love and no money (with a nice guy). I have to admit I was torn! I can't help but want Robert Ryan, even if he's crazy.

Anyone catch another Barbara in a small, bit part? Barbara Billingsley (Beaver's Mom) was one of the patrons at the department store where Bel Geddes worked as a model. And the little "Personal Assistant", he was the pickpocket in Casablanca ("Vultures...vultures everywhere..") and the girl at the Charm School was Elisha Cook, jr's girlfriend in The Big Sleep.

The ending was wrapped up a little suddenly, but I thought it was a good movie, one I'll surely watch again.

However, good as it was, I still can't put it in the same class as The Reckless Moment.
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I can't begin to think how it was based on Sturges. That really surprised me. I have read Sturges was very high energy, so maybe it's the manic-ness Ryan displayed. That's only a guess.

I know what you mean about Barbara's voice. It certainly is recognizable. :D

We never see Art Smith (the shrink) again, so maybe Ryan stopped seeing him after he got married? Isn't that when most men start? :P
-- Will Rogers
charliechaplinfan

Miss Goddess, you can have Robert Ryan, I'll take my chances with Quinada/Mason. I really enjoyed Caught on first viewing, I'll try to catch it again and catch those camera angles.
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Say, it's on YouTube! Was uploaded last fall. Here is a playlist. I'm going to watch it again tonight, it's been so many years since I first saw it at a revival house.