Double Indemnity - 1944 Film Noir Classic

RedRiver

Re: Double Indemnity - 1944 Film Noir Classic

Post by RedRiver »

I'm glad nobody challenged my inclusion of THE GLASS KEY. It does have a pretty Andy Hardy ending for a crime story. But the brutal beating of Alan Ladd, the family oriented plot element; that's some pretty dark stuff. Certainly not one of the perfect examples of the genre. But it's closer to noir than anything else.

And I'm not being factitious!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

And it has Joseph Calleia. But not for long. :D
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I think my favorite part of "Double Indemnity" is when Edward G. Robinson tells off his boss, who only knows the insurance business from the front desk. "Have you ever looked at an actuarial table?" Robinson rattles off all the statistics on suicide, how committed, broken down by race and sex, and points out that nobody ever throws themself off the back of a railroad train going 15 miles an hour expecting to kill himself. "We're sunk. We're going to have to pay through the nose."

Robinson has several great speeches in "Double Indemnity," but that is my favorite. My daughter and I used to quote from it as we waited for the school bus to pick her up in the morning. (God, does that make us sound weird.)
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Nah, I think it's great! More young film lovers in the world is never a bad thing. :D
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

MikeBSG wrote:I think my favorite part of "Double Indemnity" is when Edward G. Robinson tells off his boss, who only knows the insurance business from the front desk. "Have you ever looked at an actuarial table?" Robinson rattles off all the statistics on suicide, how committed, broken down by race and sex, and points out that nobody ever throws themself off the back of a railroad train going 15 miles an hour expecting to kill himself. "We're sunk. We're going to have to pay through the nose."

Robinson has several great speeches in "Double Indemnity," but that is my favorite. My daughter and I used to quote from it as we waited for the school bus to pick her up in the morning. (God, does that make us sound weird.)
MikeBSG ... Me Too! ... the two coolest words "actuarial table" in that scene! ... the second two coolest words are: "We're sunk" too ...
Vienna

Post by Vienna »

I just never took to Fred MacMurray, don't know why,BUT he is so,so good in DOUBLE INDEMNITY. I'm not saying no one else could have played the part, but I doubt anyone could have been better.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Fred was a better actor than the TV generation realizes. The fact that he played adorable dads and diabolical killers illustrates that. He was never better than in Billy Wilder's THE APARTMENT. His ruthless executive is despicable. But the actor plays it with style.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

RedRiver wrote:Fred was a better actor than the TV generation realizes. The fact that he played adorable dads and diabolical killers illustrates that. He was never better than in Billy Wilder's THE APARTMENT. His ruthless executive is despicable. But the actor plays it with style.
But the actor plays it with style! - Beautifully Written ... RedRiver!
Vienna wrote:I just never took to Fred MacMurray, don't know why,BUT he is so,so good in DOUBLE INDEMNITY. I'm not saying no one else could have played the part, but I doubt anyone could have been better.
BUT he is so,so good in DOUBLE INDEMNITY ... I was stunned by his performance in this movie and that is why I started this thread because of Fred MacMurray's performance in this 1944 Film Noir Classic! Thanks for sharing this Vienna