The Long Memory

moira finnie
Administrator

Re: The Long Memory (1952)

Post by moira finnie »

I recorded The Long Memory (1952) and hope to get to it this weekend. I enjoy John Mills in the range of roles he played in the '40s and '50s and very early '60s, going from the heroic (Pip in Great Expectations) to the troubled (The October Man, Ice Cold in Alex) to a supporting character (The End of the Affair, Tiger Bay) with great ease. I am less fond of his later work. I have seen so few of Robert Hamer's films, I will try to post some impressions later, but your liking this movie makes me anticipate something really good. Thanks for the recommendation.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
stuart.uk

The Long Memory

Post by stuart.uk »

It's not often I discover an old British film noir, but on UK digital they've been repeating a good thriller called The Long Memory. It's not one of the great John Mills most famous roles, but nonetheless entertaining for all that. Mills plays a man, who has served 12-yrs for a murder he didn't committ and is out for revenge. However, he discovers revenge isn't worth it, but the real murderer still trys to kill him anyway, making for a tense ending.

One of the things in the film that amused me was the sex or the lack of it. The police dectective on the trail (Googie Withers husband John McCallum), and his wife had 2 single beds. Even more interesting was that Mills discovered an ally in a girl, who was attracted to him. He was hiding in a sea side shack and the young lady all but through herself at him, yet they slept seperately. However, this was Britain in the early post war 1950s.
Vienna

Re: The Long Memory

Post by Vienna »

Nice to be reminded of this fine thriller, well written and cast. Good part for John Mills. I could see it easily translate to an American noir setting.I like Geoffrey Keen as the persistent journalist.
RedRiver

Re: The Long Memory

Post by RedRiver »

I don't know this one. It does sound good.

12 years in prison for a crime he didn't commit

I have a feeling this happens a lot more than we know.