I WAKE UP DREAMING 2012 at the ROXIE IN SF • May 11 - 24

Dewey1960

Re: I WAKE UP DREAMING 2012 at the ROXIE IN SF • May 11 - 24

Post by Dewey1960 »

Wow, that's great Theresa, thanks!!! (I believe at that moment in the shot she's just
asked Al Roberts, "What'd ya do, kiss him with a wrench?")
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Well, our first piece of press appeared this morning in the SF Chronicle. This is the type
of feature that generally guarantees a terrific turnout. I can only hope that it proves to
be the case this time! Unfortunately he wasn't able to mention our substitution of I, THE
JURY with HOLLOW TRIUMPH, but I don't think it will prove to be much of a problem.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 1O8GK1.DTL
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Congratulations! This review is just great! You certainly deserve the good press, and I am so glad you have someone writing about your showings who really seems to know what he's talking about.

In "I Wake Up Dreaming 2012," the Roxie Theater's film noir festival that kicks off Friday, we encounter the strange appeal of hopelessness.

The 14 days and 30 films constitute a virtual tunnel of doom, in which viewers will enter, pass through and emerge feeling refreshed and satisfied. Our own nightmares leave us rattled, but there is a strange release in seeing other people's nightmares - the nightmares of the dead, of the mid-20th century - so vividly depicted in the shadows of film noir.

Perhaps it's just a matter of recognizing that other people had their terrors, too. Or that things could be worse. It's that and more. In these movies, filmmakers do something pure, direct and unmistakable. However much they want to please, however much they are working in a form that is all about escape and reassurance, they choose to express doubt and uncertainty. They look into the mystery and pronounce it a mystery.

And because we know that what they are saying is true, we feel it - and something about that communication becomes exhilarating.
This is as good a description of noir as I've ever read.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Dewey, may I second Wendy's congratulations on the sterling review from a very knowledgeable journalist. "Tunnel of doom." Whew!! This is the second time I've come close to making a cliff diving financial decision to come out west without planning and on just pure emotion. I even looked into the Parker Guest House as my lodging of choice. Next year I'll ask you for a little heads up, a preview of your schedule and I swear...you'll see this maven front and center at the Roxie.

Look forward to reading updates as your festival shifts into high gear.

T.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Hey Wendy and Theresa, thanks for those wonderful words of support! I'm really expecting big things from this show and I think this
Chronicle piece will go a long way toward accomplishing that. Theresa, the Parker Guest House is a very popular place (we use it a
lot when putting up visiting filmmakers) and within walking distance to the Roxie! I'm gonna hold you to your word about flying out
here next spring!!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Dude, if you give me a heads up in January 2013 as to what weeks your festival will run, AND what films you will show, I'll be able to book passage out west in plenty of advance time so as not to break the bank at Monte Carlo. Sir, you may hold me to it.

Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Sometimes blessings come in pairs. On top of Sunday morning's wonderful piece in the SF Chronicle,
we now have this incredible feature in the SF Bay Guardian by Max Goldberg. This guy can really write!
http://www.sfbg.com/2012/05/08/how-dark-was-my-alley
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

What a great review Dewey. I think this really might be your best festival yet.

Best of luck.

ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Wow!

That does it...I'm attending this one.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

ChiO, I hope you have a wonderful time...We expect at least pictures, if not a video a la Maven..... 8) 8)

Bon voyage!!!!
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Dewey's the filmmaker. And my Stage Manager daughter will be with me for a couple of days, so maybe the video will be done.

Mrs. Dewey, Ms. Cutter, Moraldo & Mook will be the Ac-TORS.

I'm just the ticket taker/usher (who couldn't post a picture, let alone a video, if his life depended on it).
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I keep meaning to ask this...Dewey, will you have guests introduce the films, or will you just run them. Do YOU introduce the films?

Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

We very rarely have guests introduce the films given the tight scheduling of double features. More often than not I get up in front of the crowd and deliver a short little intro which usually amounts to my thanking everyone for being there. Frankly, I'm not one of those people who (as a movie-goer) enjoys lengthy intros before the show; I just want to get it going! And I think the crowd that comes to the Roxie sees it pretty much the same way. One exception for this series, however, will be the night we show the Edward D. Wood film, THE SINISTER URGE. My good friend Johnny Legend, who actually met Wood years ago, will do an intro, sharing some of his memories of Wood with the crowd. Should be a night to remember!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'm late to this thread Dewey, I'm so glad it's been a success for you, I wish I lived in San Francisco, I have yet to watch a noir movie in the company of someone else, I'd love to see them on the big screen.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin