NOT NECESSARILY NOIR 3 @ The Roxie in October

Dewey1960

NOT NECESSARILY NOIR 3 @ The Roxie in October

Post by Dewey1960 »

Hey gang, after a fairly lengthy absence I'm back to announce the arrival of the latest
installment of my NOT NECESSARILY NOIR series at the world-famous, 103 year old
ROXIE THEATER in San Francisco! From October 19 through 31 we will unveil a whopping
twenty-six feature films -- a witches brew of crime and horror films spanning the years
1968 - 2005. Check out this link to the Roxie for a complete rundown of films to be screened!
http://roxie.com/events/details.cfm?eve ... AFE923DF29
Mr. Arkadin

Re: NOT NECESSARILY NOIR 3 @ The Roxie in October

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Lots of cool ones I know and many I don't.

I really dig the Ganja and Hess/Sugar Hill double bill. Other faves would include Who'll Stop the Rain, Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, To Live and Die in LA, and Hard Boiled (I dig The Killer a bit more than this one, but it's still a good John Woo). Eyes of Laura Mars seem to take inspiration from the Giallo genre and seems to have common links with other non-Italian gialli such as Fragment of Fear (1970), Don't Look Now (1973), and Alice, Sweet Alice (1976).
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

"Hard-Boiled" "Sugar Hill" "Man Hunter" "The Eyes of Laura Mars" and my very favoritely constructed "One False Move." Again, I wish you much success with your show next month. Give us all the details of the events. Man Dewey, you sure know how to make a girl cry...
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oooh, my gosh, I LOVE Hard-Boiled!It';s my favorite, but The Killer is also fantastic, both are so beautifully laid out and shot ('scuse the pun). I love the scenes in the hospital and the teahouse with the birdcages. Gave me a life long crush on super-cool Chow Yun-Fat. I'd fly out just to see that one movie on the big screen, if I had the money!

From Dusk Till Dawn is a lot of fun, Robert Rodriguez is such a hoot!

Your picks are just great, especially Something Wild, which I haven't seen it in years. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia is a brilliant pick. All of the choices have a sense of the surreal. Reservoir Dogs, well, even on the small screen it's pretty intense, but I don't know if I could take a certain scene on the large screen.... yikes! I'd love to see the inspiration film, Day of the Wolves.

Congrats on another fascinating lineup, Dewey!
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Dewey,

The line-up sounds terrific! I haven't seen Laura Mars since the original release!!!

Let me huddle with Marco and see what we can do!

Can't wait to have a beer with you!!!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Golly, gee whiz.... Two Willeford's! Two Harry Dean Stanton's! Siegel and Peckinpah!

Can you Skype me in?
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

DEWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!

I want to wish you a fantastic turn-out for your Roxie fest tonite and for the next two weeks!!!! Best of luck!!!

Theresa.

<< (( Sigh! )) >> San Francisco. So near and yet, so far! :(
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com