Crime on film and the Criminals that inspired the writing.

knitwit45

Re: Crime on film and the Criminals that inspired the writing.

Post by knitwit45 »

Absolutely! But this was in the mid 50's. the tv did not come on until 4:30, that test pattern was on for a while, allowed the tv to "warm up". Then it was Howdy Doody time!!. A wildly popular puppet show. I much preferred Kukla Fran and Ollie. We were so excited when we got our THIRD channel, and when UHF channels came along, there was much discussion over whether or not to buy an antenna for reception.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

We've always been behind when it came to TV technology. The male members of our family can't function without a TV on in the background, no such thing as peace and quiet, they can be on the computer or doing something else but it has to be on. I prefer silence from time to time.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Me too! I watch as much TV as anybody else. But if I'm not paying attention, it's off. I never leave it on for background.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Just curious about your preference of Col. Blake over Col. Potter on MASH, Wendy. Could it be because the Col. Blake episodes pretty much retained a comedic zaniness that really was lacking when Potter took charge? MASH almost became more of a drama - well, let's say a drama-dy, once Harry Morgan came on the scene - and I confess that's one of the reason why I prefer those latter shows.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Western Guy -

M*A*S*H SPOILERS

I do think I like the early episodes because they told what they had to in a minimal, zany and quick cut style, most of it sarcastic and a bit harder edged comedically. That can wear on people too though. The character of Henry Blake is closer to the movie, bumbling and inept, but not quite as inept as Roger Bowen's version. The show was already changing when MacLean Stevenson left, and there were a couple of really fine episodes where Blake was dealing with things back home. I always felt that MacLean Stevenson was much more talented than people gave him credit for, but he just never caught a break on TV afterwards. He was hilarious on talk shows, but couldn't helm a decent show of his own. And of course, the kicker to all of this was that final episode of his, which wrecked me when I first saw it and still does.

I also liked Trapper a lot more than BJ, I always have. Mike Farrell is a good actor, but he is rather smooth and his character was family oriented. No harm in that, but it felt like they were trying to make everyone a nice guy by the end of the series. I liked Hawkeye and Trapper because they were rebelling against authority. Everything later got warm and fuzzy, and they smoothed off the rough edges. Again, It was still a great show, and I think that episode (was it the final one?) where Hawkeye is suppressing a disturbing memory of something awful was one of the best shows on TV ever. I always liked Allan Arbus, he was the psychiatrist who came on the show many times, he brought back some of the bite for that ep. I just like the nature of the original show a little better.

Alison we had 3 stations up until I was 8 years old, then we moved to the Chicago area and suddenly we had cable. It was great, but even then there was no programming for kids unless it was early in the morning or right after school for an hour. I remember the test pattern being on if you got up too early. The national anthem was a bit scary to me at that time, it felt like the end of the world waiting to happen seeing images of our flag and patriotic stuff before the cartoons would start or if for some reason you were up at 12 midnight.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u]JACK[/u] [u]FAVELL[/u] wrote:The national anthem was a bit scary to me at that time, it felt like the end of the world waiting to happen seeing images of our flag and patriotic stuff before the cartoons would start or if for some reason you were up at 12 midnight.
:shock: I thought we weren't going to talk about the fiscal cliff... :shock:
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

What about Winchester vs. Frank Burns?

Kudos must go to the writers for introducing new characters into the show who, though in many ways opposites of the ones they replaced still never upset the balance of the show.

Good points, Wendy. Again, while I enjoy all the shows, my preference still leans towards those later episodes.The maturity of Radar is interesting. From innocent and naive, he actually turns rather miserable in those final seasons, which I feel may have been mirroring his own professional dissatisfaction.

I agree with you 100% about Alan Arbus. The man was born to play a psychiatrist. Heck, if I ever needed to undergo analysis (and I'm sure there are people out there who don't think that's the worst idea) I'd want Sidney Friedman sitting next to the couch.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Maven! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You are too funny! I say let's dive over and see how freaked all the pols are then.

WG - That's a hard choice between Frank Burns and Winchester. I think I actually hate Winchester more, he's a real jerk in some ways, far more than Burns. Burns was deluded, weak and neurotic, cowardly, but in a funny way. Winchester was not funny at all (I think because David Ogden Stiers was a deeply serious stentorian actor)- uppity, self righteous and occasionally quite awful - he was the deeper character, but he had some terrible traits including cowardice which led him to leave others to blame for his own bad behavior, and a malicious mindset. He also had a couple of good characteristics, and wasn't too far gone to see his own faults once in a while. I really liked Larry Linville's interpretation of Burns, he was harmless, but Stiers was probably the more layered character.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Again, Wendy, for zaniness Larry Linville's Frank Burns fit the bill. Yes, Charles Emerson Winchester added a much more serious tone to the proceedings, but my preference edges towards him. Again, a matter of personal taste, best exemplified in the episode where Hawkeye says (comparing Winchester ro Burns): "Frank was easier to be cruel to" (or something to that effect).
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

It's kind of a coke or pepsi thing, isn't it? :D
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

You bet. :wink:

Happy New Year to you, Wendy - and to all the SSO members.

We survived 2012. 2013 is gonna be better! :D
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Happy New Year to you too!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I'll split the difference. MASH, my favorite show of all time, was lighter and wackier under Henry Blake's liberal command. The stories had an edge; it was dark humor. But humor nonetheless. The more blatantly serious it became, the less I enjoyed it. Col. Potter is a great character. So is BJ. The series maintained a high quality after adding them to the ensemble. But with each passing season, it lost a little steam.

To me, Winchester delivered the killing blow. A credible match for his "moronic cellmates" and not regular army, he was more comrade than nemesis. Likewise, Margaret. No longer "Hot Lips" Houlihan, she was fully developed in later episodes, a sympathetic character. There was no more adversity. The good guys had nobody to pick on! Give me the first five seasons.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Red River ... I can see where you are coming from here. I agree with you completely.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm right with you on M*A*S*H, Red.