ELLERY QUEEN, DETECTIVE

CineMaven

ELLERY QUEEN, DETECTIVE

Post by CineMaven »

Now I suppose I could have put this in the "Bridesmaid" thread seeing as Ralph Bellamy is the star of these ELLERY QUEEN crime dramas. And Lord knows Margaret Lindsay deserves to be spotlighted in that same bridesmaid thread Wendy started. Lindsay was featured in a number of 30's films, but couldn't really break through that glass ceiling to command "A" list status like Bette Davis. By the 40's Lindsay served as a supporting second lead. William Gargan lends a hand in detective duty as Ellery Queen.

I can't go wrong listing these films in this Film Noir and Crime forum as a "go to" place for anyone who wants to see them. I'm so happy these films have been uploaded on YouTube where I can kill two birds with one stone: I can gorge on my favorite genre - short, sweet and "B" programmers and get my fix of Margaret Lindsay:

Image Image ImageImage ImageImage Image
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Vienna

Re: ELLERY QUEEN, DETECTIVE

Post by Vienna »

Love all those posters of Ellery Queen - none of which I've seen. Must try and get hold of these films.
I agree Margaret Lindsay should have been a bigger star.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Vienna I love your avatar!

Maven, Thanks for mentioning that these are on youtube. I have to get a little lowbrow fix after my trip through French films lately. :D These sound like perfection. Did you mention Mantan Moreland over at the FB page? I'm there! Love him.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Fascinating graphics, Cine-something hopefully clever! I don't think I've ever seen an Ellery movie. That's hard to believe, but they don't turn up much.
Brian McFadden

Post by Brian McFadden »

Margaret Lindsay is so underrated and it's so good to see her mentioned. I grew up with the Ellery Queens, which ran on TV when I was a kid. If you can, try and catch her in Tragedy at Midnight. It's a nifty murder mystery with John Howard as a mystery-solving radio sleuth and Margaret as his quick-witted wife. The two have great chemistry and the supporting cast, headed by Roscoe Karns and Key Luke, adds to the fun.

Unfortunately, since this is a little gem from Republic Studios, it isn't on TV, but I think Netflix has it. And my campaign to get Republic features back on television continues. I should have Republic Mysteries, a companion volume to my current book, Republic Horrors, out later this year.

Brian
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I grew up with the Ellery Queens, which ran on TV when I was a kid

That is so odd. As I said in my previous post, I don't think I've ever seen one. I liked the TV show, though!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

It’s swell seeing Margaret Lindsay’s name being brought up to the top o’ the queue again. I don’t know “A Tragedy at Midnight” but I looked it up on Amazon, and there it was... all 53-mins of it. I watched. Cute mystery, and yes the chemistry between Lindsay and John Howard was nice and Nick&Nora-ish. It was a little painful to see Keye Luke speak in that Hollywood pidgin-English knowing he had a beautiful voice with wonderful diction. I love “B” movies very much, so this is all right up my alley.

Both Howard and Lindsay had bigger budgeted movies under their belt so to do fare like this, I dunno. She just seems so much smarter than these roles. SHE could have been a good detective ( I didn’t guess who the murderer was. ) I’m glad to see her in anything. Thanks for the movie tip Brian.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com