BIG Benefit Fundraiser for my I WAKE UP DREAMING noir fest!

Dewey1960

BIG Benefit Fundraiser for my I WAKE UP DREAMING noir fest!

Post by Dewey1960 »

Hey Everyone! It's been quite a while since I last checked in, and this seems like a great chance to slow to a stop for a moment
and let my friends at the Oasis know what happening at the Roxie in San Francisco! On March 26 we're staging a benefit fund-
raiser for my ongoing annual film noir festival I WAKE UP DREAMING. This coming May we'll be staging yet another extravaganza
at the 104 year old Roxie (I believe ChiO has his ticked booked) and the benefit will be designed to help defray some of the
ever-mounting expenses connected with putting on shows like this. I wish everyone here could make it to San Francisco this spring!
http://www.roxie.com/ai1ec_event/wake-d ... ce_id=1402
knitwit45

Re: BIG Benefit Fundraiser for my I WAKE UP DREAMING noir fest!

Post by knitwit45 »

good luck, Boss! Hope it is a bang-up smashing success!!!!

place ain't the same without you.....

Moe
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

I'm there for May...but I can only wish for March 26.

But wishes never come true.

It's a Noir world after all....
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

CONGRATULATIONS DEWEY!!!! "The Argyle Secrets" star both tv moms from "Make Room for Daddy" AND "Leave It to Beaver"??? Whoa! All the best to you and what you do for NOIR films!
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

The room is booked, Dewey! (But not until first MookRyan & I worked through a comedy routine.) And booked for the entire IWUD2014. A mere seven blocks from the Roxie and with the 24th St. hipsters.

Good luck for a week from today!
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Hope that this is a big success...and that we get some first-hand reports on the event from some attendees. Keep 'em rollin', Dewey!
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Hi KingRat, thanks! From what I could learn online the Palm Springs fest runs from May 8 - 11 this year. You'd
probably be better served by a trip to San Francisco later that month instead!
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

David,

I totally agree with Dewey! You would probably have more fun at his festival than the Palm Springs fest!

Wishing you all the luck with your fundraiser, Elliot! Wish I could be there but I told Marco to go for the both of us and to have fun!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Since there are some here who don't frequent Facebook, I wanted to post this from Elliot's FB page about what happened last night following what sounds like a successful fundraiser for his *I Wake Up Dreaming* fest.

Last night at the Roxie we had our first ever benefit fundraiser for our I WAKE UP DREAMING annual festival of rare and classic film noir. One of the more exciting components to this year's fest is the incredible poster that was put together using a painting by the brilliant Oakland-based artist Mark Stock (pictured).

Wayne Shellabarger designed the finished poster for us and it's stunning. Mark spent the evening with us at the Roxie signing this amazing poster, doing card tricks, being warm, funny and wonderful. It was a terrific night on just about every front.

Around 10 pm Tracey and I drove Mark back to West Oakland where his car was parked at the Bart Station. Within seconds (literally) of pulling out of the lot Mark suffered a fatal heart attack. We followed the ambulance back to Summit Hospital where he was pronounced dead a short time later. His death is equal parts shocking, horribly sad and ridiculously unfair. In the relatively short time I knew him I came to think of him as a close, longtime friend. Mark was 62 and leaves behind countless people who will love and miss him forever. His art will continue to speak for itself. RIP.

______

So sorry to hear about this, Elliot and please know that you and Tracey are in my thoughts and prayers.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Elliot, I am so sorry about this sad event at the end of a great day and will keep you in my thoughts. For those interested, Mr. Stock's accomplished work can be viewed here:

http://www.theworldofmarkstock.com/paint.htm

An appreciative obituary for Mark Stock from The San Francisco Chronicle:

http://www.sfgate.com/art/article/Mark- ... 355637.php

Here is the poster fashioned into a memorable poster by brilliant graphic designer Wayne Shellabarger using Mark Stock's painting:

Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks