I WAKE UP DREAMING 2014

Dewey1960

Re: I WAKE UP DREAMING 2014

Post by Dewey1960 »

First, I'd like to thank ChiO for not only making the trip west from Chicago for ALL TEN days and nights of I WAKE UP DREAMING 2014, but for his wonderfully incisive commentary on the festival itself here on The Oasis. His cogent remarks and observations, delivered in his customary brilliant manner truly added a remarkable dimension to the proceedings! Thank you, Owen!

Secondly, a major hats off to the movie-going public of San Francisco who embraced our digital presentations with unbridled enthusiasm and wide-eyed wonderment. To simply say that these thirty films looked terrific is to understate what is now fairly obvious: digital technology and the world of repertory cinema have successfully managed to blend themselves into a perfectly pitched union of sparkling screen entertainment. To all the obstructionists who have and continue to "stand in the doorway and block up the hall" I can only say: welcome to the 21st century!

I believe this year's fest at the Roxie has been the best one yet -- and that covers nearly 25 years of intensified film noir programming. In the past we have been beleaguered by a wide assortment of technical issues, all stemming from 35 and 16mm print projection. Scratchy, splicey prints with compromised contrast and tattered sprocket holes have made theatrical presentations on film (not only at the Roxie) something of a challenge. Last year, for example, when our program was made up of almost 100% film prints, we experienced technical problems almost on a nightly basis. This year, every single show not only went smoothly, but the image quality on on every film was nothing short of perfect. Given the steadily dwindling number of prints being made available by the studios, it's probably time to make certain technical and emotional adjustments.

For anyone still clinging to the oddly romantic notion that feature films can only be enjoyed theatrically on 35mm film stock need only ask the hordes of noir fanatics who crammed themselves into the Roxie this past week and I think the answer would be resoundingly clear: digital projection of classic period films (at least at theaters like the Roxie) is not only the future, it is NOW.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

cover.jpg
cover.jpg (82.5 KiB) Viewed 12709 times
dewey.jpg
dewey.jpg (26.59 KiB) Viewed 12708 times
handsome devils.jpg
handsome devils.jpg (31.29 KiB) Viewed 12710 times
these are from Chio
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

do the hokey pokey!.jpg
do the hokey pokey!.jpg (31.75 KiB) Viewed 12708 times
perfesser Dewmeister.jpg
perfesser Dewmeister.jpg (24.97 KiB) Viewed 12708 times
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Hokey pokey?

Clearly it is a candid shot of a random young fan of the fine film noir explaining the nuances of a recently watched film to an elderly gentleman who had never considered the insights provided by the young fan. Or...

...as an individual in my office said: "You seen two old gray-haired guys with facial hair, you seen'em all."
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Like I said....Handsome DEVILS.... :twisted:
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

"Scissors...paper...rock...William Castle was the best director of The Whistler movies....NO! no! It was Lew Landers who brought it to life...."

Ah, will the debates about the eternal verities ever end? Not if we are lucky enough to have ChiO & Dewey writing accounts of their cinematic adventures! Thanks, guys.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks