The Three Stooges, Are They Just a Guy Thing?

Isn't Romantic Comedy redundant?
cinemalover

The Three Stooges, Are They Just a Guy Thing?

Post by cinemalover »

I have always enjoyed The Three Stooges, especially the early shorts with Curly. As popular as they have been they had never received proper attention on DVD. Now for the first time they are releasing their shorts (in chronological order, thank you!) on DVD. I just ordered The Three Stooges Collection 1934-1936. A 2 disc set that contains the first 19 shorts. It will be at least a week before they arrive but I'm excited. They are supposed to be completely restored with the bits and pieces that have been cut out over the years.
Is anyone else a fan of these guys, or am I all alone on Stooge Island?
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
feaito

Post by feaito »

I like them very much and everytime I catch one of their shorts playing on TCM Latin I watch them. I remember that my paternal grandmother couldn't stand them and my mother loathes them. It seems that my wife is the only woman I have known that laughs with their antics (being the exception to the rule). So, I believe that "The Stooges" are preeminently a guy thing, just like you say.
bradtexasranger

Post by bradtexasranger »

I loved them as a kid, but don't know if I could sit through them now that I'm older. I think they are definitely a "guy thing", I've never heard any females saying they enjoy them.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I remember two girls in High School who did the "Slowly I turned" routine whenever they could. Still makes me laugh to think of it
ken123

Post by ken123 »

knitwit45 wrote:I remember two girls in High School who did the "Slowly I turned" routine whenever they could. Still makes me laugh to think of it

Two ladies who do the slowly I turned routine is something I need to look into. 8)
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Aw, Ken, we're old broads now....

They actually got up and did the "slowly I turned, step by step" routine at a class reunion. 'Course, we were all pretty well into the evening by then, so it was hilarious.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

[quote="knitwit45"]Aw, Ken, we're old broads now

Well I am an old man . :cry:
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I'm one of the women who always loathed them. I did not allow my kids to watch them and I know they watched at their friends houses which really ticked me off. My kids had a habit of hitting each other while fighting with one another and they didn't need lessons in how to do it from those three morons. As a single mother of 4, there are certain things you have to take a little firmer stand on, but I even dislike my grandson watching them in reruns recently. Talk about violent!!!

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

I love the Stooges as much today as I did when I was a kid back in Detroit, howling at the TV in utter delight! They were the absolute masters of film anarchy, even more so than the Marx Bros, I believe, because they didn't pander to the intellectuals the way Groucho and his brothers did. (Although I do like the Marx Bros, just not as much!) Can't wait to get my mitts on those DVDs!!
As for the Stooges being a guy thing, I would say that's basically true. But not quite: I dated a girl in college who loved them with a passion. Countless times we'd sit around her house, watching them on TV, laughing our butts off. I couldn't believe how lucky I was! What a gal!
Anyway, here's a little gem for all you Stooges fans out there! (We know who we are!)
[youtube][/youtube]
ken123

Post by ken123 »

My late wife couldn't stand the Stooges.
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Anne,
I can certainly understand you not wanting your kids to be influenced by the Stooges’ violence. I always viewed their antics as cartoon violence, much in the same vein as a Bugs and Daffy cartoon with Elmer always packing a shotgun. I know I absorbed them as a kid and never felt that it was okay to do the two finger poke in my brother's eyes (as tempted as I may have been at times). But I suppose any violence can desensitize us to it and in turn encourage it in some ways.

As for the appeal of the Stooges, I think the length of their shorts was their greatest ally (generally 15 to 20 minutes). I couldn't take that kind of mayhem for longer than that, it just wears me out and then I don't appreciate it as much. But to watch one or two shorts in a sitting, now that's funny! I mean… the Curly Shuffle? That’s classic!
Chris

Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

THE CURLY SHUFFLE!!!
[youtube][/youtube]
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Thanks Dewey,
That just made my work day a whole lot easier!
Chris

Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Hey Chris -
Check out this little piece of weirdness ("Moe and Shemp Deconstruct the Bossa Nova Beat")
[youtube][/youtube]

Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk.

To quote Robert Frost:
"Curly was king, but Shemp did his thing."
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Okay, Dewey,
Now you're just trying to get me in trouble. People are beginning to ask why there is uncontroollable laughter coming from my office. There's just no business excuse to cover it!
Chris