Bell, Book and Candle (1958) ruined for me

Isn't Romantic Comedy redundant?
JackFavell

Re: Bell, Book and Candle (1958) ruined for me

Post by JackFavell »

Hahahahahahahahaha! That's too funny, Masha!

Perhaps Pyewacket is actually a human she turned into a cat?

It's just a thought.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh Masha, I think you have captured the philosophy of a cat owner only too well.

I used to own two cats before I became allergic to them, and would wake to find them just in the process of knocking an Orrefors vase(or equally sentimental or valuable item) off the shelves. I am convinced that they come to wake you up in order to witness first hand the destruction of your things, but without enough time to do anything about it.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Masha, you are so droll!

I always thought that Pyewacket controlled everything that happens in Bell, Book and Candle--not the mere humans--none of whom seem as sophisticated or aware of the black arts as that Siamese wizard of necromancy.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That was really brilliant Masha, I want to go back and watch again, with the insights you and Moira wrote about in mind.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Masha:

It may help you to know that I've always thought Piewacket was a person who returned as a cat who emphasized and embellished Gillians' wishes. BTW, I know you were involved in movies in some way, but were you a writer? Your writing form is so very entertaining.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Masha

Post by Masha »

I truly wish I knew what I wrote in the post which started this thread (all my posts from that time disappeared in an update glitch). Apparently it was quite witty and perhaps insightful. Alas.

Perhaps it is for the best that whatever thought 'ruined' the movie for me is lost because I truly love this movie very much.

My thoughts from a recent viewing:

Bell Book and Candle (1958)

A beautiful, intelligent and sensitive woman with a rich heritage tires of her social set and wishes to meet someone humdrum. A complication is that the man she selects is engaged to a woman eminently suitable for a mundane man.

I love this movie very much! It is one of the best romantic comedies ever filmed. The humour is rich and gentle. Richard Quine kept it just the tiniest bit shy of being overblown. James Wong Howe captured nearly unnatural beauty. George Duning's score is subtle and captivating.

James Stewart is in his element as a decent, capable and upstanding man befuddled by women.
Kim Novak is pure radiance, honest emotion and ultimate guile.
Elsa Lanchester is sheer perfection as a dotty old aunt who must be prevented from doing outrageous things.
Jack Lemmon is just having fun!

I am not a fan of Ernie Kovacs but he is excellent as a dedicated dipso.

Pyewacket portrays the ideal companion, mentor and co-conspirator.

Filling out the excellent cast are: Hermione Gingold, Janice Rule and Bek Nelson. Philippe Clay performs one of the most delicious songs ever filmed.

I must make note of one important feature: the scenes near the opening feature the most wonderful non-traditional Christmas tree ever created.

8.6/10

This movie is available for viewing for free on: "Movieland TV" on Roku. It may be available on other streaming devices.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

BELL, BOOK AND CANDLE is available on Watch TCM until May 23rd.

I presume it aired on TCM this month as part of the spotlight on the cinematography of James Wong Howe.