Buster Keaton

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'm in the UK. I rented what I could from a DVD rental service and ended up so in love with his films I got the Art of Buster Keaton as a present. At the moment I have still to watch Steamboat Bill Jnr, The Navigator and Go West form his features and half of his shorts.

Last night I watched the short Neighbours. I was so impressed at the level of comedy and at the clever stunts. I rewatched it again today and was still wowed by at his comedy.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I haven't seen "Neighbors" but I recently got a set with his short films so I'll check it out.

HAve you seen "One Week"? A clever little film and with a smaller reworking of the famous falling building scene from "Steamboat Bill, Jr."
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

charliechaplinfan,

:o Hi, and welcome of the forum! Just needed to say that while I have great affection for these two profound artists, I would hope that you would be willing to give the films of Harold Lloyd as much consideration? In my opinion Lloyd's 11 Silent features of the 20's are frequently funnier, and probably more consistent in overall qulaity from one film to the next than either Charlie's or Buster's are. And I say this as a big Chaplin and Keaton fan!

:) The fact is Lloyd was the most popular and successfully Silent film comedian of the 1920's, yet his remarkable films have been sadly neglected, up and till very recently. I have been a fan of all Three of these giant's for some 30 years, since I was 8 years old back in the Mid-1970's, but Harold Lloyd quite honestly is my favorite!

:D Please give Harold's films which have just been released in lovingly restored editions in the U. K. very recently a look! I pronmise you that you will not be disappointed in any way! Loyd's features such as GRANDMA'S BOY (1922), WHY WORRY? (1923), GIRL SHY (1924), THE FRESHMAN (1925), and SPEEDY (19280, are among the finest comedies, and most charming films every produced. And all 11 of Lloyd's Silent feature films are now on DVD both in the States and in the Britain, so it is the perfect time to discover these timeless treasures!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

:D movieman1957 Neighbours is one of my favorite Buster shorts so far. The way he rescues his girl is ingenius, a comedy reworking of Romeo and Juliet. I have seen One Week, I've been trying to watch his shorts in order but a couple I have seen before. So far I've seen One Week, The High Sign, The Goat, The Boat, Balloonatic, Paleface, The Blacksmith and The Frozen North. He hasn't hit a bad note with me yet.

:D I don't know what it is with Buster, he gets under my skin more than Harold. He's the most attractive of the comedians by far and his eyes are so expressive. I only have to look at his face to smile.

:D I only have one small criticism and that is the romantic interplay with his leading ladies. I wish he'd have been a bit more romantic, like Harold. That's why The Cameraman is so good. The story is so moving and he plays it as 'the great stoneface'. He was a good romantic.

:D Gagman, I've replied on the comedians thread, I don't know how to move tat post to here too. I do like Harold Lloyd, I think he had considerable talent, nobody will top Charlie for me, his talent was immense. A genius and I don't use the word lightly. Buster, is significantly different to Charlie to make me really take notice. I watched Buster rather reluctantly at first. I thought that Charlie was perhaps still unpopular with American audiences and they were appropriating his position as number one in screen comedy to this man who made comedies at the same time. It was only after watching a short documentary about him that I decided to give him a chance. I rented College then Battling Butler and I was hooked. I still don't know what it is I only know I instinctively liked him.

:D As for Harold, I really want to like him as much. I bought the box set that was released here at the end of last year. Harold has suffered from under exposure in the British market. I've watched some and liked some, others are a little hit and miss (I've listed them in the other section) it's a treasured collection but he just hasn't reached the heights of Buster and Charlie with me.

:D As for the question about whose best. I can see the argument for all of them and I have no problem with anyone saying Harold is their favorite.

:D I am really enjoying the discussion though. It's always an interest to me to meet any other fans of silent comedy. I have tried watching Arbuckle, Chase and Langdon with imxed results and I love the imitiable Laurel and Hardy.
Damfino

Post by Damfino »

I can't remember the first time I saw a Buster short, over 30 years ago though. I've been a massive fan since.

Here's a question, I have the Buster and Fatty shorts on video from Kino, they released the same films on DVD a couple of years ago, however 'Moonshine' is only a fragment on the DVD and I have a more complete version on the video, it's bleached out in places and the print is poor, but, it's good enough to make more sense of the story. why do you think they did that?
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

If you mean why did they add the "bad" film I guess a complete story with some bad quality film is better than a confusing one that looks good.

If you remember years ago "Lost Horizon" (1937) had a soundtrack found where they included the track but used still photos to move the story along.

I think most would want as complete a film as you can get.

BTW, welcome. I hope you enjoy your time here. Several Buster fans live here.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Marta

Post by Marta »

I'm definitely a Keaton fan. From the first time I ever laid eyes on him I knew he was something special. He's got a quiet charisma about him, you can really tell he cares about his films and wants to do the very best with them.

He's also incredibly attractive and I loved his voice.

I first saw him in The General on TCM in 2002 and I've been hooked ever since.
GaryCooper

Re: Buster Keaton

Post by GaryCooper »

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith
GaryCooper

Re: Buster Keaton

Post by GaryCooper »

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith