Gilbert Roland - A Latin Performer Unbounded

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Gilbert Roland - A Latin Performer Unbounded

Post by moira finnie »

Hey, kiddos, Gilbert Roland is on TCM at the crack of dawn tomorrow, July 1st in a very early talkie, Men of the North (1930), which leads off a lineup of Canada Day flicks on TCM at 6am ET. Perhaps this is not a great flick, but seeing GR making like zee fur trapper for Canada Day 2013 should be a treat. As I posted about this movie (which I've never seen) in the past...

The above picture was taken during location shooting for Men of the North (1930-Hal Roach), when Gilbertito played "Monsieur le Fox" aka Louis LeBey during ze ruée vers l'or (gold rush). Made at MGM during the dawn of sound before dubbing and captioning were prevalent, GR played le Fox in both the English and Spanish language versions of the film, (others played this character in the German, French and Italian knockoffs). I wish that TCM would unearth this one, since the plot description on IMDb makes me giggle. I encountered one person who mentioned seeing this movie years ago on TNT or TBS. The individual thought it was fun, if creaky:
Part of a gold shipment has been stolen and the Sergeant suspects Louis LeBey. When Louis is attracted to newly arrived Nedra Ruskin, Woolie-Woolie becomes jealous and tells the Sergeant where Louis hid the gold. First Louis rescues the Sergeant whose dog team crashes chasing him and then he saves Nedra from an avalanche. When he returns the injured Nedra to the settlement, the Sergeant takes him prisoner.
Above: GIlbert Roland (and his whip) with Barbara Leonard and Arnold Korff in Men of the North (1930).
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

As a test of the system here, I am uploading two new images of Gilbert Roland in the spaghetti western, Any Gun Can Play (1968) as attachments. If you cannot see these pictures, please let me know. You can see most of the easy-to-follow action in this movie, starting here. Aficionados of this genre have been known to name this action-packed, largely non-verbal film "a classic" while others label it "el stinko." The fact that a 64 year old actor is able to invest his considerable gravitas into an underwritten role (as usual) and dash about the bleak landscape like a young desert fox on the hunt for a tasty gecko (played by George Hilton, a superstar in this type of movie) is enough for me to check it out. Maybe you feel the same?
Attachments
Gilbert Roland in Any Gun Can Play (1968) with Edd Byrnes
Gilbert Roland in Any Gun Can Play (1968) with Edd Byrnes
gilbert roland in any gun can play (1968) with Edd Byrnes1.jpg (24.67 KiB) Viewed 5491 times
Gilbert Roland in Any Gun Can Play (1968) with Ignazio Spalla.
Gilbert Roland in Any Gun Can Play (1968) with Ignazio Spalla.
Gilbert Roland in Any Gun Can Play (1968) with Ignazio Spalla1.jpg (34.48 KiB) Viewed 5490 times

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I can see the images fine, Moira. Maybe Joel has seen this movie?
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Maybe! I also thought that MikeBSG might have seen this movie. I liked it as a kind of interesting mashup between a (slightly twisted) morality tale and a Road Runner cartoon. It does have style and verve (and GR is pretty mobile and effective).

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

moirafinnie wrote: I liked it as a kind of interesting mashup between a (slightly twisted) morality tale and a Road Runner cartoon.
OMG! That sounds great to me! :D
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

A TCM premiere is coming up on Monday, August 26 @ 7:45 am (ET) when Guns of the Timberland (1960) rolls out as part of Jeanne Crain day. In between the clinches between Jeanne and Alan Ladd, the machinations of Lyle Bettger (boo, hiss) and Frankie Avalon working on translating pop success into a movie career, we have Gilbert Roland being colorful. If this movie follows the formula of the period, I'm guessing that Gilbertito is the hero's best friend, a naturally vivacious fellow, and a possible sacrifice to reinforce the audience's belief that success always requires sacrifices larger than we know in this tale of loggers vs. ranchers.

One interesting note: some online reviewers of this film have mentioned that GR is not his usual character here, and actually goes off the deep end. Not sure if that is good or bad. But it might be different for him (and us).

BTW, in addition to the above actors, John Ford's favorite accordion player and Frank Borzage's brother, Danny Borzage is in this movie as "logger." The welcome sight of Noah Beery, Jr. and Henry Kulky will also be on hand in this movie.

I touched on this movie once before. Here's what was written back then about a member of another generation of the acting family, The Bennetts, who was dipping a toe into the movies:
Below is GR and his former niece, Melinda Markey in 1959 when she was 25 and appearing in an uncredited bit next to her uncle in the Alan Ladd movie, Guns of the Timberland (1960). Roland was married to Ms. Markey's aunt Constance Bennett from 1941-1946. Below is the original caption from The Chicago Sun-Times. The caption's author is clearly confusing Joan Bennett with her sis, Connie. The only time that GR and Joan appeared together in anything was an intriguing-sounding television production for the series Climax in 1956 called "The Louella Parsons Story." Poor Teresa Wright appeared as the Hollywood dragon lady and gossip monger, and scads of real movie actors popped up as themselves in this early John Frankenheimer-directed production.
From The Chicago Sun-Times in 1959: "In Hollywood---Gilbert Roland, a long time Hollywood star, talked with young Melinda Markey between scenes for 'Guns of the Timberland.' Melinda is the daughter of Gene Markey, producer, and Joan Bennett, actress. She has a featured part in the new film. Roland, a co-star, played starring roles with Melinda's mother in the past." Markey, long interested and active in the equestrian world, appeared in many popular television roles in the '50s and in several uncredited roles in movies. She has been married three times, most recently in 1998 to the present to businessman Thierry Van Dyck, reportedly has 2 sons, 1 daughter, and 6 grandchildren.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

She really looks like a Bennett.

The 2 stars and the director make me exceedingly curious about The Louella Parsons Story. I looked it up and the episode is available on Hulu Plus, but I don't subscribe to that service. Some of the other Climax! episodes are on youtube, but not that one.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Saw Gilbert Roland this morning with Alan Ladd and star of the day, Jeanne Crain in 1960's "Guns of the Timberland." He was a pretty dastardly mustachioed fellow in this one. And speaking of mustaches:

"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Cool, Theresa. I also watched that Ladd movie and thought it was stinko.
Joseph Goodheart
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I think I died and went to heaven! Gosh was there anything better than the pencil moustache? Thanks, Maven! Image
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u]mongoII[/u] wrote:Cool, Theresa. I also watched that Ladd movie and thought it was stinko.
I have to agree with you, Mongo. As much as I love Jeanne Crain...she made a lot of clunkers in her career. And it pains me to say this. "...Timberland" seemed a bit paint-by-numbers, Ladd looked puffy, you could see Bettger coming a mile away, movie punches not connecting and ranchers vs. lumberjacks. I'm watching films today that I wouldn't ordinarily see, for the sake of Jeanne Crain. "The Model and the Marriage Broker" was excellent. I'll have to look again to see if anyone nominated Thelma Ritter for her day in the TCM Summer Sun in 2014. Comedy, drama...Ritter Rules!
[u]JackFavell[/u] wrote:I think I died and went to heaven! Gosh was there anything better than the pencil moustache? Thanks, Maven! Image
:D
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I hold many of Alan Ladd's films in esteem, but when he looked so pained in his final films, it made me uneasy for him. Wish he could have gone into the production end of the biz like his children who have done so well for decades in Hollywood. I got some laughs out of Guns of the Timberland.

Mild Spoiler Alert

For a time, I think that Gilberto had it written into his contract that he had to have a death scene. What a skunk his character was in this movie.

Does anyone else think that Jeanne Crain made some movies just to get her seven babies new shoes?

FYI
Sept. 3rd on TCM features Gilbert Roland Movies on the schedule during the day. What! No copies of The Furies, Bullfighter and the Lady or The Plastic Age were available? *...*sigh*...* (all times shown are ET):

8:00 AM
PASSIONATE PLUMBER, THE (1932)
A woman hires a plumber to make her lover jealous.
Dir: Edward Sedgwick Cast: Buster Keaton , Jimmy Durante , Polly Moran .
BW-74 mins, TV-G,

9:30 AM
JUAREZ (1939)
True story of Mexico's Abraham Lincoln and his fight against Napoleon's empire.
Dir: William Dieterle Cast: Bette Davis , Paul Muni , Brian Aherne .
BW-121 mins, TV-G, CC,

11:45 AM
ISLE OF MISSING MEN (1942)
Convicts on a prison island plot their escape.
Dir: Richard Oswald Cast: John Howard , Helen Gilbert , Gilbert Roland .
BW-66 mins, TV-PG,

1:00 PM
CAPTAIN KIDD (1945)
An infamous pirate tries to double cross the King of England.
Dir: Rowland V. Lee Cast: Charles Laughton , Randolph Scott , Barbara Britton .
BW-81 mins, TV-G,

2:30 PM
TEN TALL MEN (1951)
A Foreign Legion sergeant leads ten volunteers against a mighty Arab army.
Dir: Willis Goldbeck Cast: Burt Lancaster , Jody Lawrence , Gilbert Roland .
C-97 mins, TV-G,

4:15 PM
AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS (1956)
A Victorian gentleman bets that he can beat the world's record for circling the globe.
Dir: Michael Anderson Cast: Cantinflas , Finlay Currie , Robert Morley .
C-182 mins, TV-G, CC, Letterbox Format

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Woo-hoo! Yes! I think Gilbert Roland deserves a medal for being in all these movies... certainly wish they could have shown a few more, esp. the ones you mentioned which show him to great advantage.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

JackFavell wrote:Woo-hoo! Yes! I think Gilbert Roland deserves a medal for being in all these movies... certainly wish they could have shown a few more, esp. the ones you mentioned which show him to great advantage.
Well, a medal for some of the movies, certainly. BTW, I should have mentioned that he is very appealing in Juarez (even if he was fighting on the wrong side of history in that one).

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
feaito

Post by feaito »

Check The Passionate Plumber, an amusing flick with Buster Keaton, lovely Irene Purcell and fiery Mona Maris.