Ben Johnson

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
pvitari

Re: Ben Johnson

Post by pvitari »

This still from She Wore a Yellow Ribbon is up for auction at emovieposter.com.

I think the galloping cavalryman in the lower left area of the frame is Ben. What do you all think?

tinker

Post by tinker »

It looks like Ben but the horse is not Steel. Not even sure it is the stunt double Bingo who from memory has a smaller blaze. Maybe there was a second stunt double.

dee
[b]But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams[/b]. (William Butler Yeats )
[b]How did I get to Hollywood? By train.[/b] (John Ford)
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

I don't think it's surprising that he's not riding Steel or Bingo -- Ben in this shot is not playing his SWAYR character. At this point in the movie, John Wayne, Harry Carey Jr. and Ben are all up on the (studio set) rocks above the camp watching the stampede. But obviously they called upon him for stunt riding in this scene, too. Ah, the magic of editing! ;) One of my favorite examples of this is in Rio Grande when, doubling for Henry Fonda, Ben does the horse fall, then you see Fonda in close shots, then a second stuntman doubling Fonda jumps up on a galloping horse led by a cavalryman played by Ben. ;) The next shot is Ben once again doubling for Fonda as he wobbily rides to certain doom by joining his trapped command.
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Wagon Master. :)

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Two stills from The Rare Breed.

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

A still from Ten Who Dared. You can see Ben lying down on the far right.

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Sorry I went away for a week -- actually I've been posting at the BJ Fanpage but neglected this thread. :( :(

Musician Jim Rorie let me post on the Fanpage a pic he'd posted of himself, Charles Starrett and Ben at the 1980 Memphis Film Festival and sent me a good story to go along with it, so check it out at the page -- http://benjohnsonfanpage.shutterfly.com

I also finally got that She Wore a Yellow Ribbon still I posted last week (the one last week was the scan from the auction site with their watermark) and scanned and posted it with an enlargement of Ben as the galloping cavalryman.

And finally today... here's a still from Wild Stallion, with Edgar Buchanan and Martha Hyer in brunette mode. :)

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

I first posted this pic back in November 2010 but had no idea what it was from, or if it was just a general head shot like the ones actors staple to the back of their resumés. But last week I acquired the Wild Stallion photo above and instantly recognized the shirt as the one Ben wore in the mystery photo, plus the chair back looks similar to the ones in the photo with Edgar Buchanan and Martha Hyer. So now the 2010 picture is officially a Wild Stallion picture. :)

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

A publicity still from Tex.

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

I wrote up a little tribute to Maureen O'Hara on the BJ Fan Page. Hardly deathless prose but if you want to read it…http://benjohnsonfanpage.shutterfly.com
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

If you like oversized gorillas for Hallowe'en viewing, then the new Blu-ray of Mighty Joe Young is for you. ;) It looks really great on Blu-ray and the SFX stand up even after all these years. You can purchase it either as a single disc or in the Special Effects Collection box set (which also has Son of Kong, The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms and Them!)

I made some screencaps from the Mighty Joe Young Blu-ray -- 155 to be precise. :) You can find them all at https://benjohnsonfanpage.shutterfly.co ... ilms/29925. But here are some to enjoy right now. :)

More ---->
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

More Mighty Joe Young Blu-ray screencaps. Hope you enjoy!

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Ben's a conductor on a party train plagued by a homocidal maniac in Terror Train -- good watching this time of year! ;) Here are two stills where he comforts party-goer and Queen of Screams Jamie Lee Curtis. ;)

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Yet another photo of Ben and Ann-Margret the set of The Train Robbers. :)

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

It would be fun to be in Arizona this weekend.