Ben Johnson

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Maricatrin

Re: Ben Johnson

Post by Maricatrin »

Very handsome man, I always liked him too. For some strange reason, it seems that he played more than his fair share of weasels/cowards (examples: Tarzan's Savage Fury, The Big Steal, Five Came Back.) Of course, as "Mr. Peacemaker hisself" he has one of his most sympathetic roles.

I'm glad I'm not alone on Chisum. I've often thought how it has a heck of a lot more accuracy than most other films dealing with the Lincoln Country War.

Of course, as has been noted, there are some changes... having your main villain die of a heart attack while suing the hero can't top impaling him on a wall-hanging. (Also, it seems to have been more of a Murphy/Brady/Dolan combine, but in a movie you need one clearly defined boss.)

I though the actor playing Billy was good for the role. Didn't look way too old like most of the actors playing him do, and while quite small (like the real Billy) still could come across as dangerous. And, the part was pretty straight-forwardly written: Billy's not evil, and there's some good in him (Garret said as much himself), but the fact that he's already a seasoned killer isn't glossed over.

Anyone think that "Buckshot" Frank Roberts may have loosely inspired the character of Dan Nodeen? A real hard-case. (Unfortunately, I don't know of any possible basis for Pepper. :( )
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaricatrinsMusicVideos
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

The Shadow Riders screencaps are now posted! ;) There is even a Chisum link. Both Chisum and the Shadow Riders were directed by Andrew McLaglen. ;) He was (as you all know) the son of Victor McLaglen, so Ben must have met Andrew as a young man. In fact, they first worked together in 1952 -- Andrew was an assistant director on Wild Stallion. 30 years later -- Shadow Riders. ;)

Ben does a lot of riding in this -- I suspect that like John Ford, McLaglen just liked photographing Ben on a horse. ;)

Fingerpointing!

Dynamite...

...and tequila. "Black Jack" likes to live dangerously! ;)

MORE ----->
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

The rest...

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Those are FANTASTIC caps, Paula! Black Jack is so naughty! 1263 is my favorite.
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

1263 is my favorite.
I can see that by your new avatar. :) :) :)

In the book, the character is "Happy Jack." That's just one of many changes made from the book. Fortunately Ben's character was greatly expanded for the TV-movie version! :) (So was Jeff Osterhage's role as the third brother, Jesse, who in the book is a teenager with only a few brief appearances.)
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Say, Wendy, Ben looks like 'Bull' Stanley (Tom Santschi) in your avatar, right down to the tall hat! :D
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh my gosh, I never would have put that together! And he's a "bad man" (note quotation marks) too, just like Bull. Not evil, just likes his high jinks. :D
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I can see Ben playing that part had the timing been different.
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh gosh! it makes me want to cry thinking of it. why is it we can come up with these roles, but the studios couldn't? Tom Santschi is still the one and only Bull in my book, but in a remake, Ben would have been marvelous.
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

My next avatar! :D
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

For Mary-Kate. ;) She knows why. :)

By the way, I've decided that Rio Grande (the whole durn thing) will be my summer project. ;)

Yo!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

What a feast for the eyes all these are!!!
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

JackFavell wrote:My next avatar! :D
I started to ask over in the Boyer thread if that was from "The Sacketts" or related film but thought I'd check here. And sure enough.....
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

A sight for sore eyes is right! OH baby! I can't wait for Rio Grande. And I dearly love Vic....

Ha! Good thing you checked here first, Chris... the ongoing Ben love fest is still going strong.