The Marx Brothers

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
ChiO

Re: The Marx Brothers

Post by ChiO »

My favorite photo: ....

My NEW favorite photo, courtesy the NY Public Library:....
Golly, do you think they were really brothers?

And, if so, did they beat out the Warners?
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Philosophically and intellectually, at least, they most certainly beat the Warner Brothers. And they ended up retaining the name A Night in Casablanca.

My favorite comedians together:
[youtube][/youtube]
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Since you brought up Jack Benny. I've been listening to Benny's old radio shows on podcasts on my ipod. It sure beats listening to the radio on the way home. If you have itunes you should look for it under "Performing Arts."

Also, here are those responsible for the Brothers -

Sam Marx

Minnie Marx

He was a bad tailor and she was a brilliant stage mother.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Frenchie!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I don't even have an ipod, Chris.

I do love listening to Jack's radio shows though, I have some recordings, and then you can find others online.

Looking at Frenchie, I am amazed at how dapper he was. Somehow this escaped me when I was a kid. I see a bigger resemblance to Groucho than to any of the other brothers. And he has something about him that reminds me of Charlie Chaplin. The cheekbones maybe?

That's a gorgeous picture of Minnie.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I love my pod. I get all my music in my hands. But I digress.

I don't see much of the boys in either one of them. It must be me. Minnie certainly had a lovely smile. She was no woman to try and take advantage of though. She would get after people if she needed to do it.
Chris

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

We should all have as much strength and determination as she had. Well, maybe not!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

If I had that kind of determination both of my kids would be in vaudeville. And a lot of good that would do them.
Chris

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That would be VERY determined, I'd say.... since you'd have to bring back Vaudeville single handedly as well as get them started in it.

Sheesh, I can't even get my daughter to take art classes this summer.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I went to see "Monkey Business" on the big screen Saturday. Nice crowd and all seemed to enjoy themselves.

I always thought I was fairly well read on the boys but found out courtesy of the host that they had an older brother die in infancy. The Marx Brothers web site listed him in the family tree. I thought it funny in all the years I've watched and read about them I never saw a word about it. Something new to learn.

The film is still funny.
Chris

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

VERY funny!
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

A musical about the Marx Brothers' early years in vaudeville ran on Broadway for two months in 1970. It was called Minnie's Boys and starred Shelley Winters and was co-written by Minnie's grandson, Groucho's son, the successful TV writer and playwright, Arthur Marx. It was one of Broadway's more notable flops. :) Ken Mandelbaum describes it in his classic book about Broadway flops, Not Since Carrie (one of the greatest books ever written, IMHO). :)

More about Minnie's Boys:

http://drewfriedman.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... sical.html
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Thanks for the article. I remember it vaguely as I was young but thought the idea might be fun except that how do you really pull something off about such distinctive characters. I imagine it is either too much like them, though not quite enough, or not enough like them to really have an impact.

I did see an odd theatrical show called "A Day In Hollywood: A Night in The Ukraine." The Marx part was a version of Chekov's "The Bear" as if they had done it as a movie. It would have helped if I knew something about Chekov when I saw it. I don't really remember much about it though.

One show I thought was pretty good is a one man show called "An Evening With Groucho" starring Frank Ferrante. He is very good as Groucho at all ages. I have an old VHS recording.
Chris

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

My favorite of their movies.

I didn't know there was an older Marx either, or at least the info didn't really sink in. Did you know that the guy sitting nearby watching the boys wave goodbye to the ship's steward in the movie is Frenchie? He earned 12.50 for two days work as an extra on the film.

ImageImageImageImageImage[/url]ImageImageImage[url=http://s312.photobucket.com/user/tippy99/media/tippy99016/grouchohip.gif.html]Image
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Now, I've learned two things. I'll have to find Frenchie. I've seen enough pictures I should have picked up on it.
Chris