CHARLES BOYER

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
feaito

Re: CHARLES BOYER

Post by feaito »

JackFavell wrote:Fernando, you couldn't have said it any better! This is a movie I never miss when it's on TCM. In spite of some almost unbelievable plot twists, it remains completely believable, thanks to the stars and the sensitive directing. The epitome of romance.
:D Thanks WEN

PT, I'm going to check if Hulu works here in Chile. My VHS is fine, but the VCR hasn't been working well.
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

feaito wrote:PT, I'm going to check if Hulu works here in Chile. My VHS is fine, but the VCR hasn't been working well.
I don't think Hulu is available outside the U.S., but this film is currently up on YouTube:

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks PT.
jansullivanstravels

Post by jansullivanstravels »

I was trying to describe this movie recently and said something like, "It's a melodrama/thriller/romantic comedy thing that somehow works." And how could it not, really, with those actors and that director?

I love the scene where Jean kicks off her evening slippers and they dance to "I Get Ideas." Imagine getting ideas while dancing with Charles... And the scene where Charles is curious about why Jean married such a raving maniac... but rather than ask her directly and risk scaring her off, he playfully questions her by painting a little face on his hand, calling it Coco and cooing at her in a high-pitched voice. I think Charles Boyer is pretty much the only man on the planet who could pull that off without the woman smiling awkwardly while slowly reaching for her purse and backing up toward the door. Or maybe just saying to hell with the purse and running. But with him, it's a-freakin'-dorable.

And the scene where he's screaming at her to get into the lifeboat. Those eyes. The love and desperation. I'm getting chills just typing this.

There was no one. No one. Like Charles Boyer.
"Have you never wanted to look beyond the clouds and the stars..."
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

jansullivanstravels wrote:I was trying to describe this movie recently and said something like, "It's a melodrama/thriller/romantic comedy thing that somehow works." And how could it not, really, with those actors and that director?

I love the scene where Jean kicks off her evening slippers and they dance to "I Get Ideas." Imagine getting ideas while dancing with Charles... And the scene where Charles is curious about why Jean married such a raving maniac... but rather than ask her directly and risk scaring her off, he playfully questions her by painting a little face on his hand, calling it Coco and cooing at her in a high-pitched voice. I think Charles Boyer is pretty much the only man on the planet who could pull that off without the woman smiling awkwardly while slowly reaching for her purse and backing up toward the door. Or maybe just saying to hell with the purse and running. But with him, it's a-freakin'-dorable.

And the scene where he's screaming at her to get into the lifeboat. Those eyes. The love and desperation. I'm getting chills just typing this.

There was no one. No one. Like Charles Boyer.

Jan,

I am a big Charles Boyer Fan - and I just loved your post here and you hit it spot on.

Thanks for posting and welcome to our humble forum.
jansullivanstravels

Post by jansullivanstravels »

Rita,

Thank you so much!! This is the post I put up on FB yesterday; I hope you enjoy it! So happy to find a kindred spirit!!

Happy, Happy Birthday Anniversary, Charles Boyer!! I love you beyond all reason and sanity.

I wish I could have found a better copy of this picture from the Hollywood Canteen, because I think it really captures him — kind, warm, down to earth, and just totally wonderful. No silly Hollywood-mandated toupee and lifts, which he never wore off camera — and you can see how hideously disappointed Claudette Colbert is about that. She’s all like, "Oh, yeah, Gary Cooper’s here too? Whatever!"

When MGM brought him to Hollywood, he arrived with a philosophy degree from the Sorbonne and fluency in three languages, none of which was English. They didn't care. And why would they?

He fell in love with his wife Pat at first sight, and proposed two weeks later. And despite his dashing reputation, he was a happy homebody who was more content curling up with a book than canoodling with a co-star. Their only child, Michael, lost his life when he was just 21, playing Russian roulette after breaking up with his girlfriend. Charles somehow forged ahead with filming on “How to Steal a Million,” with a resolve that left his castmates in awe and admiration. But when he lost Pat after 44 years together, it was one blow too many. He took his own life just two days later.

He was the perfect leading man, really: insanely attractive, wildly romantic, with a deep intelligence behind his soft brown eyes and voice like honey pouring over a hot toddy. Maybe he was too perfect for his own good. I don’t think he was really appreciated as the brilliant actor he was, in everything from romances like "Love Affair," to dark tales like "Gaslight," to edgy dramas like "Hold Back the Dawn," to more fanciful fare like "Fanny."

When they talk about actors who were criminally overlooked at Oscar time, his name is near the top of the list. He was nominated and walked away empty handed four times. The year he was up for "Gaslight," he lost to Bing Crosby in "Going My Way." I mean, that was a lovely performance, and I loves me some "Toora Loora Loora" as much as the next Irish girl. But really?!? Did the voters even SEE Charles in "Gaslight"? Is it too late to send them a DVD?

I mean, to cast a man who was pretty much every sane woman's romantic ideal as a murderous sociopath was pure genius, as was his performance -- which shifts slowly and seamlessly from shy, smitten suitor to seemingly doting husband to cruel, abusive tyrant to desperate, pleading criminal. But even as he sits helplessly tied to a chair, exposed as a murderer, a flicker of arrogance still shines through: he really thinks he still has a shot at wooing his wife into helping him escape. It's just perfection, from start to finish. Like Charles Boyer, in pretty much everything.

Sleep well and safely, you sweet, wonderful, beautiful man.
Attachments
entertainingthetroops-boyer-colbert.jpg
entertainingthetroops-boyer-colbert.jpg (7.26 KiB) Viewed 5933 times
"Have you never wanted to look beyond the clouds and the stars..."
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Thanks for sharing this Jan. :)
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That was LOVELY, jan, Lovely.

Boyer was so worthy of an Oscar, it's really a shame he didn't get one, or at least a lifetime achievement award. He made movies work that just shouldn't have ( yes I'm talking about you, Garden of Allah), and his work in The Earrings of Madame de...., Mayerling, Liliom and Gaslight, and many more show a perception of human nature that is uncanny.

I love the photo that you posted! I think his candids are really quite amazing. For a quiet homebody, he is out and about quite a lot! Always dressed nicely, but not worrying about that toupee, which is fine with me. My favorite of the candid photos is the one with Hedy Lamarr - I mean how many times have you seen Hedy looking bored in a photo? But with Boyer, he's got her charmed - laughing, eyes sparkling. It's wonderful.

Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

That film Gaslight is one of the best Boyer's Films - and I find the chemistry of Boyer and Bergman incredible.

He is so expressive and animated in that film and took the charms of its own ... Boyer took the Oscar ... and rightly so.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

History is Made at Night

I just loved it - the Chemistry of Boyer and Arthur was charming all over and I just in awe of his characterization of Paul Dumond and Jean Arthur as Irene Vail ... It's one of my favorite Boyer's films and I wanted to let everyone here that - this is one of the better Jean Arthur films and rightly so.

And, as Professional Tourist pointed out earlier in this thread - you can see it for free on Hulu. I'm thinking about seeing it again ... later on this week.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

He's my favourite too, I never get bored of watching his movies and he does have a knack of getting away with scenes in movies that would look silly when acted by anyone else. I absolutely adore him, I can't understand why he doesn't come further up in the ranks of Hollywood stardom, I love the fact he was very much his own man and was comfortable in his own skin. There's always room for another Boyer fan on the forum, we're never short of fans to talk about him.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I was watching him this morning too, and you are so right, Alison, he can do scenes no one in the world can do, and yet, he makes you believe it, he's such a great actor. And those eyes! Humorous, wistful, tormented...deep black pools of every emotion imaginable. Oh, I love him.

And I'm SO glad to see you back here!!!!! :D :D :D :D
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Nice to see you again Allison! :)
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I watched LOVE AFFAIR starring Charles Boyer and Irene Dunne this morning for the 7th or 8th time in the past dozen years or so and NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, get TIRED of it. I loved the romance, the glorious gowns of Dunne, and superb direction of this charming movie back in 1939.