Ann Sheridan

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Ann Sheridan

Post by moira finnie »

JackFavell wrote:Percy is a hoot!

I watch this movie every time it's on.
YEAH! Me, too. I can't get enough of Jack Benny's whining and sarcasm (when told that the trees needed something, he remarks "don't tell me we have to pay them for standing there") Percy's need for gravel, his repeated warnings about those locusts, and the many, endless travails of homeowning--especially when the home is over a hundred years old. I love Annie's laugh in this movie. I think she was really cracking up at the situations and Benny in particular. Did you see the trailer that TCM ran with Jack Benny?..."you never went to high school" made me smile:
[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I've been enjoying the trailer this week! I never saw it before... I think it's so inventive that they made an entire trailer out of Jack wanting to have a kissing scene with Ann Sheridan. Thwarted at every turn.... :D

I noticed the Arsenic and Old Lace trailer as well - for as loud a comedy as it is, they made an extremely quiet trailer, which is probably funnier than the actual movie.

Annie has quite the cackling laugh, doesn't she? I love her for it.

Benny's quips make me snort out loud with laughter. Some of them are pretty apropos around our house! I love the scene where they all get drunk together. Percy really takes the cake with his melancholy singing and then that sly smile. I also absolutely LOVE the part where he hits little Raymond on the head with his hammer - you'd never get away with that nowadays. If ever a kid deserved it, it's Raymond.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

This is a solid adaptation of a cute, if forgettable, play by Kaufman and Hart. If anything, the movie is better. I swear, George S. Kaufman practically invented American comedy!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

There's a John Wayne war movie, I think it's OPERATION PACIFIC, where two ships pull alongside each other, and the crew swap movies. "George Washington" is one of the films. That was the first time I heard of it! I don't remember the other one.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Sheridan pops up late tonight in Angels Wash their Faces (1939) and will appear later this week (Thurs afternoon) in One More Tomorrow (1946). Both of these are OOP so grab 'em if you ain't got 'em.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks for the heads up about Sheridan on TCM, Ark. I missed my chance to catch It All Came True just last week!

Here's Leo Gorcey remembering a good sport he met on the set of Angels Wash Their Faces (1939):
[youtube][/youtube]

One More Tomorrow (1946) is a pretty enjoyable remake of The Animal Kingdom with Annie in the Ann Harding mistress role, Dennis O'Keefe in the Leslie Howard part, Alexis Smith in the Myrna Loy wife part, and Jack Carson (who else?) in the part of the former pugilist turned houseboy that William Gargan had in the original pre-code of Philip Barry's story, first made in 1932. Reginald Gardner and Jane Wyman are also injected into the story, which is set in the world of magazines, literary glossies vs. popular rags. If you see both movies it is interesting to see the differences in frankness between the two films, though Sheridan's sassy warmth conveys more with just a raised eyebrow and a waver in her lovely voice than they could ever edit out of the film.
Above: Jane Wyman and Annie commiserate about men in One More Tomorrow (1946)...or maybe they are just trying to figure out what got into costume designer Milo Anderson.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

moirafinnie wrote: One More Tomorrow (1946) is a pretty enjoyable remake of The Animal Kingdom with Annie in the Ann Harding mistress role, Dennis O'Keefe in the Leslie Howard part, Alexis Smith in the Myrna Loy wife part, and Jack Carson (who else?) in the part of the former pugilist turned houseboy that William Gargan had in the original pre-code of Philip Barry's story, first made in 1932. Reginald Gardner and Jane Wyman are also injected into the story, which is set in the world of magazines, literary glossies vs. popular rags. If you see both movies it is interesting to see the differences in frankness between the two films, though Sheridan's sassy warmth conveys more with just a raised eyebrow and a waver in her lovely voice than they could ever edit out of the film.
Above: Jane Wyman and Annie commiserate about men in One More Tomorrow (1946)...or maybe they are just trying to figure out what got into costume designer Milo Anderson.
I remember watching this movie with my Mom back in the early 80's ... Moira and we both talked a lot about the fashions that both Jane Wyman and Ann Sheridan wore in that movie. We often watch movies together when my Dad is out of town on business. Just to let you know that this is one movie that really stands out in terms of fashion in general. One more thing, I do like this movie ... to me, it's delightfully entertaining and I do enjoy the sassy warmth (that you've mentioned) that Ann shown in this film.

Thank you for posting that photograph of Wyman and Sheridan here. I loved it.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Can anyone else see Alexis Smith as the first Mrs. Maxim de Winter? Whew!!
[u][color=#0000FF]MOIRA FINNIE[/color][/u] wrote:One More Tomorrow (1946) is a pretty enjoyable remake of The Animal Kingdom with Annie in the Ann Harding mistress role, Dennis O'Keefe in the Leslie Howard part, Alexis Smith in the Myrna Loy wife part, and Jack Carson (who else?) in the part of the former pugilist turned houseboy that William Gargan had in the original pre-code of Philip Barry's story, first made in 1932. Reginald Gardner and Jane Wyman are also injected into the story, which is set in the world of magazines, literary glossies vs. popular rags. If you see both movies it is interesting to see the differences in frankness between the two films, though Sheridan's sassy warmth conveys more with just a raised eyebrow and a waver in her lovely voice than they could ever edit out of the film.
"That's the trouble with carrying a torch. You get cinders in your eyes."

Pavlov's dog couldn't learn a lesson any better than Dennis Morgan or Leslie Howard; they're led by the come hither withholding machinations of Myrna or Alexis. Enjoyed both films...they both were of their time. The 30's version just a tad stodgier, like early 30's films sometimes were...and the 40's more relaxed and regular. I think Harding and Loy could have changed parts and been as effective, and I could see Sheridan being the arch beeyotch of a wife (a la Lorraine in "The Man Who Came to Dinner"). As for Alexis, tall statuesque...and just as beautifully frigid as an ice queen should be.

Ann Sheridan...she's a peach of girl. Good movies.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I liked both movies too, for totally different reasons, which I think you pegged well, Maven.

This is my second time through for The Animal Kingdom, and it is preoccupied, like a lot of Barry's plays, with the duties of man or artist to himself, whether man should be happy when being stifled creatively, and when a woman is really a Woman. It's theatuh, and I do enjoy seeing what it was all about back then, from a very popular playwright.

It's got free love stamped all over it, and it has taken me two showings to really get into the spirit of it. Though it doesn't seem like it, due to the talky nature of the thing, I think it was probably very racy for it's day, with suggestions of husband and wife relations, and the final suggestion left for the audience to imagine - two people living in sin happily, one of whom is married to someone else. The tone of the language masks these themes in heady, high minded words, making it difficult to feel much sympathy for any of the characters. Thank goodness we have Leslie Howard (who I believe created the role onstage), Myrna Loy, and Ann Harding to make it all just a bit more believable. The movie lacks pace, with heavy pauses in which someone expected us to note double meanings that are clear long before the camera cuts away. I still enjoy it for the drawing room drama that it is and as a glimpse into that time period when manners were so important. It seems to me we could all take at least one step backward when it comes to that.

I totally could see the two actresses switching roles, Maven. But I am glad we have Myrna as such an out and out Femme Fatale here... it's so much fun to watch her wind Howard around her finger.

I very much enjoyed One More Tomorrow, and you know what? I didn't even realize it was a remake when I watched it! DUH. :D I find that really really amusing, but that just goes to show you that these two movies are like apples and oranges. Alexis was quite the beeyotch, and you know, I think she's never been better than here. I actually liked watching her machinations, except for the effect they had on Annie, who was wonderful as usual. I wish Jack Carson had been in the thick of it more, and what a supporting cast! Loved Thurston Hall and Sig Arno. It was nice to see Jane Wyman cast not as Jack's crazy dumb girlfriend, but as a smart gal Friday to Annie, engaged to the delightfully Bohemian Reginald Gardiner....though he didn't know it yet. I really loved the way they translated the story to the magazine world, keeping the high mindedness with a little lowbrow earthiness. A much better mix actually.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Ann returns to TCM tomorrow (June 18) in She loved a Fireman (1937). I've never seen this one, but my recorder will be rolling.
Vienna

Post by Vienna »

What wonderful pictures of Ann. Thank you, everyone.
I adore COME NEXT SPRING and think Ann, Steve Cochran , Sherry Jackson and Richard Eyer gave terrific performances.
Also love Ann inTHE UNFAITHFUL and I WAS A MALE WAR BRIDE.
And she could sing too!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Vienna wrote:What wonderful pictures of Ann. Thank you, everyone.
I adore COME NEXT SPRING and think Ann, Steve Cochran , Sherry Jackson and Richard Eyer gave terrific performances.
Also love Ann inTHE UNFAITHFUL and I WAS A MALE WAR BRIDE.
And she could sing too!
I'm happy that you like her in I WAS A MALE WAR BRIDE and COME NEXT SPRING ... Vienna!

And, Welcome Again to Silver Screen Oasis. :)
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Found this in a search:

http://t.co/83sZYDO39o

Nice little site with info, photos, and interviews. Good to know there are other Ann fans.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks, Joel. That Remembering Ann Sheridan site is a great resource. There was talk a few years ago of a biography of the actress in the works, but I haven't seen anything of it in recent days. I hope that if anyone knows of an upcoming book about her (other than good compendiums such as Ray Hagen's Killer Tomatoes: Fifteen Tough Film Dames), they'll post about it here.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks