Ann Sheridan

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
moira finnie
Administrator

Ann Sheridan

Post by moira finnie »

This thread was prompted by Ark's mention the other day of the funny little movie Honeymoon for Three (1941) which featured one of Ann Sheridan's husbands, George Brent. I thought that since there is a hardly a category on this entire message board that doesn't have some fond mention of this actress, it might be time to give her a thread of her own. I hope you'll use this thread to post about Annie, her movies and her life.

Ann Sheridan takes a bath in Come Next Spring (1956) in a very brief comic scene (that I suppose was daring for its day?).

I felt compelled to post this first message here, after discovering that COME NEXT SPRING (1956) with Ann Sheridan and Steve Cochran, a family drama about a rural Arkansas family in the '20s, has recently become available as a streaming video on Netflix. This movie doesn't appear to be around as a DVD commercially, is rarely found in VHS form, and may never have been broadcast in recent decades. I know I'd never seen it before.

The print that is streaming online at Netflix is unrestored with some faded color and scratches, but it is readily watchable. Directed by R.G. Springsteen (who guided many tv shows such as Rawhide, Trackdown, Wagon Train and Bonanza), the script chronicles Halloween, a prayer meeting, a twister, and life on the farm among animals and many familiar character types, though the freshness of the principals' acting keeps it fresh. It is fitfully narrated by an unseen, unnamed man looking back on his life. The script by Montgomery Pittman (Pittman was cast member Sherry Jackson's stepfather and wrote many scripts for The Twilight Zone, Maverick and other programs which he often directed as well) may be rooted in his experiences as a boy growing up in rural Louisiana and Oklahoma.

In a performance that seemed to echo her own first hand knowledge of life in Texas, Ann Sheridan filtered her character's development through the intelligence, humor and understanding that this under-appreciated actress and total pro brought to every movie (even the Mignon Eberhart "Nurse in Danger" stories that she played in during the '30s).
I watched this small, moving story filmed on location in Ione, CA last night and was deeply impressed by Ann Sheridan's grounded if distrustful farm wife who has struggled successfully to care for her children and her family farm after her alcoholic husband (Steve Cochran, who is excellent) had abandoned them. Sheridan's characteristic laughter and warmth are still there, but are muted. A bit thin, with some sadness showing through her plucky exterior, the actress shines throughout the small scale film, especially in her scenes with Sherry Jackson and Richard Eyer as her children and in the scenes when her red-haired beauty and vulnerability emerges as she slowly lets herself feel something for her husband again.
I haven't consciously seen Ann Sheridan in such an unglamorous role in color before, but found her beauty quite striking and her acting to be quite fine, even when the script fails to develop the underlying tensions in the situation shown in the movie, (I kept wishing that William Inge had been the scenarist). Too bad this movie is so little known. It is one more example of what this fine actress was capable of with the right material.

The cast is rounded out by a shockingly worn looking Sonny Tufts as a local blowhard courting Ann Sheridan, Edgar Buchanan as a local man skeptical of Cochran's motives, and a mellow Walter Brennan as an utterly believable man of the Ozarks. Richard Eyer appeared in this movie around the same time as Friendly Persuasion (1956), but his performance is more natural and endearing in this movie, when he plays a boy who never knew he had a father. Sherry Jackson, who a few years earlier almost stole Trouble Along the Way (1953) away from John Wayne, is very appealing as a shy mute whose life centers around her dog, "Runt" and the fields and woods surrounding her home.
Sherry Jackson and Richard Eyer are amazed and delighted to see their father chase some boars away (this was made before Old Yeller, too).

Cochran and Sheridan with "Runt" who gets some lovely close-ups! I loved him, especially since she is Sherry Jackson's constant companion.

Steve Cochran gives an uncharacteristic, wholly "un-slick" performance as a man who is trying to leave his demons in the past as he begins to know his own children for the first time. In this same period, he worked very well with Italian filmmaker Michelangelo Antonioni in the poetic film about a laborer adrift Il Grido (1957) in an attempt to break out of the tough guy category that the actor found himself pigeonholed in when working in Hollywood. (Il Grido is also available as a streaming video on Netflix.) Both of these films were produced through Cochran's own production company, Robert Alexander Productions, which won the actor praise but did not help him gain more interesting parts, unfortunately.

Ann Sheridan as Bess Ballot reminded me of this woman's unfussy, but real talent.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mongoII

Re: Ann Sheridan

Post by mongoII »

Bravo, Moira! It's about time we had an Ann Sheridan thread around here. I'm certain that most of the SSO members adore her as we do.
I saw "Come Next Spring" years ago and would like to see it again. Steve Cochran is one of those stars that should have had a big star status but he somehow missed the chance.
I was going to use this image for the CANDIDS thread (where I feature Miss Sheridan every chance I get) and decided to donate it here;

Ann Sheridan takes a nap on the set of "They Drive by Night"
Joseph Goodheart
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

I just saw her in City of Conquest. As always, she was great. She and Cagney had great chemistry together. I'm going to watch Torrid Zone this weekend!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

ken123

Post by ken123 »

Thanks Moira for starting an Ann Sheridan thread. I oved your comments & the pictures provivided with the text. I did not look at the picture of Ann in the bucket. :wink:
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

When The Man Who Came to Dinner (1942) showed on Christmas eve, my wife and I discussed the idea that Davis was miscast and Ann should have been playing Maggie. Seeing her work in the previous year's Honeymoon for Three validated that entire conversation!

Unlike many other thirties and forties actresses, Ann has not truly been rediscovered or critically examined. Many of her films are not available or even given much play on TCM unless another big name is in them. I find that odd since her characters were streetwise and tough, but never lost their tender side. These were modern women for their day, but unlike the spider creatures of Film Noir, or hardened gals of Precode, Ann's roles all had a warmth to them that was unique to her acting style.

Come Next Spring (1956) is a film that I haven't yet seen (let's hope someone releases it soon!), but the performance sounds similar to Appointment in Honduras (1953), where her character's poignancy registered almost entirely in unspoken shots, using her face to tell much of the story. Some of these later roles are quite astonishing if you're used to a wisecracking Ann with a one-liner on hand. :wink:

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

ken123

Post by ken123 »

JackFavellAnn pic OMG :D 8) :)
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Don't overheat, Ken. If you're a nice boy, Clara Lou Sheridan might let you share her ice cream.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
ken123

Post by ken123 »

HUBBA HUBBA 8)
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Wow, JackFavell, that pic almost makes me want to play for "the other team"! ;)
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Hey I have the match to that ice picture!

P - I just want her legs.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Ann was gorgeous. :D
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

ken123

Post by ken123 »

I need some smelling salts. :oops:
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I love the George Hurrell images and all the glam pictures, which the photographer took of Ann Sheridan during his very brief employment at Warner Brothers. Hurrell's portraits had a lasting "oomph" effect at the studio, accelerating the career of the actress.

Despite this, I am fondest of the game, playful Ann Sheridan images the best, who never seemed to mind being a good sport, helping a photographer whenever or whatever seemed needed--but these casual shots are my favorites. She always looked as though she would be such fun to talk to for awhile.

My favorite pictures of Ann Sheridan, just a gal going to work, grabbing a bite, having a laugh, making a few curtains:

Just a beautiful, vibrant girl walking down the street (this one might be my fave)

Getting the war paint...

Getting the crowning glory in place...

Avoiding the boss at lunch...

Making a co-worker (Vincent Sherman) crack-up...

Being dazzling yet natural on screen once...

Being dazzling yet natural off screen again...

Going home again...

Donning the cheaters with glee at home...

Whipping up some curtains...

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks