CLAUDETTE COLBERT

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
moira finnie
Administrator

CLAUDETTE COLBERT

Post by moira finnie »

Since an interest has been expressed in a thread devoted to Claudette Colbert, let's start one, shall we?

I must admit that I only began to warm up to Colbert after seeing more of her comedies such as those she made in the '30s and '40s with Fred MacMurray, as well as those directed by Preston Sturges, and her early films directed by Lubitsch. I knew I was a goner when I saw a heckuva entertaining pre-code, Torch Singer. I used to ignore her later movies, until I saw Three Came Home a few years ago, which was very moving (even if her hair didn't). Now I am interested in everything this intelligent, quirky actress did. How about you?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Re: CLAUDETTE COLBERT

Post by knitwit45 »

she will always be the quintessential mother of the WWII years, because of Since You Went Away. I know lots of women didn't have maids and big houses and secret admirers, but I still love that movie, one of my top 5 favorites.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Knitty, I'd never seen Since You Went Away until you and Sandykaypax told me about it a few years ago. Now I like to see it about once a year--hopefully when it is snowing outside!
I am very moved by the scenes on the train when Mama Claudette and her girls are trying to see their father before he is shipped overseas and meet the lady whose daughter was at Corregidor. The other parts of the movie that affect me the most are when Claudette has to tell her daughter (Jennifer Jones) that her fiancee won't be coming back--and of course, when she answers that phone on Christmas Eve. One of the earliest moments when Colbert expressed that her longing for her husband was keenest came when, all alone in her room with two single beds (courtesy of the Production Code), she suddenly scoots into his bed and sobs quietly, with almost no words spoken, though I think we can hear her call his name softly.

For fun, the movie's best moment comes when CC tells Agnes Moorehead's wonderful baddie to hit the bricks!

I know that many women didn't have a beautiful person like Hattie McDaniel eager to be her maid as well as working elsewhere (though many African Americans did find that the war was the first time they could make a decent living). Nor did they have cool curmudgeony boarders like Monty Woolley, but Selznick (who apparently rewrote most of the script about 5 times), was trying to stuff everything he could about the home front into one flick! I am also fascinated by the backstory on this movie (poor Robert Walker!), but I also like just about every movie I've ever seen directed by John Cromwell, though the poor man must have put up with a lot from batty but talented David O. Selznick. Two people in the movie who never seem to be noticed, but I like: Shirley Temple's Bridget (I may be prejudiced since that is the name of one of my own sisters) and her silent, shy friend, who only peeks around corners at the adults.

The other thing that moves me about SYWA is that, sadly, it is still applicable to the lives of so many people today. I might never have come across this movie if you hadn't told me about it.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

To me, besides those scenes you've mentioned, the most powerful and moving part of the movie is when Alla Nazimova recites the poem on the Statue of Liberty, and then turns to CC and says "You are what I thought America would be" I am crying in earnest by then.

And don't you love the Christmas party she hosts for all the lost souls? Wonderful, wonderful movie.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I discovered Claudette Colbert early on in my film education. Things like "Drums Along The Mohawk" and "It Happened One Night." Sometimes it was because her costars were people I was interested in but then it became about her.

I was struck by her comedy and generally how lovely she was. She seemed all grace and eloquence. Her walking down the aisle of the train in "Palm Beach Story" wrapped in a blanket tailored for a skirt and trying very hard to maintain her grace was all I needed.

The ultimate time was when I saw her on stage. I wasn't all that close but it was great to see someone who I had long admired.

Other films than those mentioned to check are - "Tovarich," "Thunder On The Hill," No Time For Love," "Remember The Day" and "Without Reservations."
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

You want tearjerkers? Watch Remember the Day, in which schoolteacher Claudette falls in love with absolutely darling John Payne, and then....

I say no more. :)

I love Claudette Colbert. She could do it all -- comedy, drama, spectacle, intimate small films, anything.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

movieman, I also love Tovarich, Palm Beach Story, Drums Along the Mohawk, and especially Midnight. To me, watching Colbert in The Sign of the Cross and Cleopatra as a kid cemented my fan-dom, I never thought NOT to like her. She was so slinky and her voice was warm and rich, like honey. I wanted a figure like hers and the smarts to match. She was nobody's fool. Maybe that's why I like her falling for Don Ameche or Joel McCrea, or Clark Gable so much. :D

As far as SYWA is concerned, the situations strike me as so realistic. Claudette is not always strong, but you still feel for her, because she tries and then she learns. Her role looks so easy, but I assure you, it's not easy to show that kind of grace. She really gets me playing a quiet scene like paying bills for the first time, or reading a letter. The whole movie is about learning to do without, to make sacrifices when it's the last thing you want to do. The movie does exactly what it sets out to do, which is inspire you to be a better person (and contribute to the war effort).

When the girls and Claudette try to reach the father and miss him by minutes it just kills me. I swear every time I see it, I think they will actually make it. Those long, quiet moments of waiting, so perfectly captured in this movie really bring the realities of the war home to me like no action movie could have. There is a shimmery quality about it that I can't put into words. I cry every time I see this film, mostly having to do with Jennifer Jones' unearthly performance... she is able to play silly and then grow up completely during the film. Monty Woolley also tears me up. SYWA reminds me of looking at a family album, with snapshots in it. I love the entire cast, but the family triangle of Colbert, Jones and Temple really deserve a lot of praise for straightforward, deeply felt performances.

Has anyone seen So Proudly We Hail lately? I remember being fairly impressed with it, but I haven't seen it in so long, I have no idea if it is as good as I remember. I also saw Under Two Flags long ago.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Thank you Moira for starting this thread. For anyone who is interested a discussion about her had sprung up on the Charles Boyer thread regarding her stage work with Boyer.

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... &start=465

I've just read She Walked in Beauty by Bernard F Dick which I would recommend to anyone who likes Claudette and likes a well researched biography that isn't hung up on rumours. One delightful story that comes out of it is about working with Clark Gable on It Happened One Night, Gable, ever the practical joker stuck a hammer dow his pants and gave her a cuddle, her reaction was to scream but immediately saw the funny side. Called from the other side of the walls of Jericho she looked over to see Gable covered by a blanket with a potato masher between his legs. It sounds like they had a ball on that movie. In later life Claudette confessed to having had a fling with him, letting it be known that he was as well endowed as rumoured.

Claudette has a very distinctive voice, I don't know how I'd describe it apart from seductive, I'm sure it's part of what you guys like about her. I love her comedies, she has an excellent light touch, whether it be as a Russian Princess or a woman who is only buying half a pair of pyjamas, hitching a lift by using her legs. At least she had two films tailored to her gifts, The Palm Beach Story and Midnight. I've only seen Since You Went Away once but all those scenes mentioned above are very memorable to me. Other actresses might have pulled away from playing Jennifer Jones mother and it's to both actresses credit that it works so well. Claudette is excellent with Joseph Cotten too, what a great movie.

Did anyone age as well as Claudette? I think she looked better in her mid thirties than she did in her twenties.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

Claudette Colbert is definitely one of my favorite comediennes. I can't have enough of her! :wink:
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

JackFavell wrote:movieman, I also love Tovarich, Palm Beach Story, Drums Along the Mohawk, and especially Midnight. To me, watching Colbert in The Sign of the Cross and Cleopatra as a kid cemented my fan-dom, I never thought NOT to like her. She was so slinky and her voice was warm and rich, like honey. I wanted a figure like hers and the smarts to match. She was nobody's fool. Maybe that's why I like her falling for Don Ameche or Joel McCrea, or Clark Gable so much. :D

Has anyone seen So Proudly We Hail lately? I remember being fairly impressed with it, but I haven't seen it in so long, I have no idea if it is as good as I remember. I also saw Under Two Flags long ago.
JackFavell and fans of Claudette Colbert ...

I happen to own a copy of So Proudly We Hail ... on DVD because she did an excellent job in that movie ... It's highly recommended because its shows the hardships of Women Nurses (of all Services) during World War II. She was superb in every way ... This is one my favorite of her ... and her performance of being a nurse was professionally done ... she acted like a nurse like no other. It's was unreal everyone. Good All Around Movie.

P.S. I was even moved by her performance in Tovarich with Charles Boyer ... more information in the CHARLES BOYER thread.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks, kingme for the vote of confidence for So Proudly We Hail... I don't remember much of it, but the scenes I do remember belong to Colbert and then after her, Veronica Lake.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

You've betcha ... worth renting from your local DVD store ... I prefer to own it :!:
charliechaplinfan

It's one I have here still to watch with the added pluses of Paulette Goddard and Veronica Lake.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I tried to get a discussion going a couple of times because Claudette is one of my favorites, but we always got stuck on the ins and outs of Tomorrow is Forever and never got much further. One thing I never realized was how many movies she and Ray Milland made together which I have never seen. I don't care what the movie is about, or what century it takes place in, Claudette fits in to any setting. She was so good in Boom Town, and I loved when she finally had it with Clark and told time where to get off. Of course her best comedy is with Fred in The Egg and I, but that one was taken over by the Kettles. From So Proudly we Hail, I think George Reeves may have been able to get somewhere if he hadn't gotten caught in the syndrome of Superman. I'm going to have to start hunting for those ones that I never saw.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
charliechaplinfan

I'd love to see Tomorrow is Forever but until I do I'll leave the way clear for a discussion of her other movies.

I always thought Claudette would make a brilliant nurse, her voice is so reassuring. She doesn't for me sit very well as the evil Poppaea, not because she isn't a good actress but that sunshine is still in her voice. I do love Sign of the Cross, I think it's my favorite De Mille movie.