William Powell

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
JackFavell

William Powell

Post by JackFavell »

William Powell comes out on top every time I sit down to make a list of favorite stars. I really can't analyze why, I just adore him. He's my idea of a true movie "star", so graceful. Debonair without being too fussy. His acting pretty much can't be beat, no matter the movie. He makes it look easy, informal, fun. With that clipped moustache, and his insouciant eyebrow, he just suits me, whatever mood I'm in. I feel like I am in on the biggest joke, but only he and I (and maybe Myrna) - know it.

Powell was class all the way, even when wearing an ice bag on his head. He's sardonic - the sadder-but-wiser man with a little poignancy underlying the wit. However, he has a great sense of fun. To me, he is very possibly the most comforting presence in all of the movies. He's lovely, my absolute favorite star ever.

Aside from his great comic sarcasm and incredible charm, my favorite thing about him is the way he drops his resonant voice low when saying something serious. Oh, he does that vocal trick when he's fooling too.... but there is something more to it when he gets his rare chance at "the big scene". He's not one to wear his heart on his sleeve, but there is usually one line in each of his films where he takes a moment to say something heartfelt and true - something noble that strikes to the heart of the situation. Sometimes, it's only a look. He could make a line mean fathoms more than what was written. Maybe it's just a touch embarrassing for him to admit those deeper, more serious feelings. He never makes a big deal of that rare emotional response. He takes his moment, and then it is over, and the dashing rogue is back.

He has the most wonderful dimple when he allows himself the extremely rare really big smile.

He was such a good partner on-screen that there aren't a lot of photos of him alone. To me, he seems slightly lost when he doesn't have someone to play off of, or a joke to tell.

Even here, in what seems like a rather somber photo, there's a little joke going on:

Perhaps he was uncomfortable alone. I don't know, but he's always goofing around with Myrna,

or Carole,

or Ginger,

or his pet doggie:

Gentlemen's Quarterly named Powell one of the most stylish men in the last half century:
GQ Hollywood Style Original

William Powell

Powell’s most famous role, in 1934’s The Thin Man, fit the man to a T: With a lean silhouette and a pencil-thin mustache, he somehow managed to give the disarming wit of his character, Nick Charles, a keen sartorial expression. He unleashed a trademark sardonic demeanor on society’s more corrupt elements that suggested he’d seen it all before. And with his impeccably tailored suits and a preternatural sense for black tie, Powell got that you have to know how to look well-groomed before you can even think about looking unruffled.

Another
reason I continue to name Powell is my ultimate favorite, year after year, no matter how much time passes. He ages well. He stays firmly in the #1 spot on my list, as others move around or have dropped because I can see their faults more readily over time...I see the strings working in the background of their acting. Powell, however, remains irreproachable, acting wise for me.

He's so tremendously appealing. And not because he's the best looking or the most serious actor. Perhaps it's that he's the opposite - he is just having the best time imaginable acting in films. It's as simple as that. He's never full of himself, even if his characters are.... he's rather self -effacing as an actor.

There is one more thing about William Powell. Something that makes me love him all the more, because it is something lacking in today's world.

He's gallant.

Here's to our Star of the Month, the most nonchalant man ever to work in Hollywood.

William Powell.

JackFavell

Re: William Powell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks, kingrat.

You're right, Powell walks such a fine line, never overdoing those more emotional undertones of his character. I just love his delicate touch when the serious themes come to the fore.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Jack Favell ... What a pleasant display of great images of William Powell ... he is one of my all-time favorites too! I love his Thin Man Series with Myrna Loy and their cute little dog named Skippy that plays ASTA.

The Cute Three Here

I will get my thinking caps (I have multiple hats) and I will share a thought or two about this wonderful and witty actor that grace the Silver Screen not so long ago. I'm a big fan of William Powell and I wanted to say a Big "Thank You" for sharing all those great images ... keep up the good work :!:
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thank you, kingme. I'm so glad Powell has more fans here. I hope you are enjoying his Star of the Month turn on TCM.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Wendy, what happened to Charles Boyer, I thought he was your number one guy :wink:

I kind of sit on the fence where William Powell is concerned, I wouldn't seek out a film just because he's in it but admit he's brilliant in a couple, My Man Godfrey being my favourite and he does lighten up some films that otherwise might be a shade dull, I do find him quite stylised, which is a bit rich because most actors are stylised and that's why we like them. I just haven't fully got into him yet, I think it was mentioned elsewhere, I guess it's another example of my British quirks, that not every Hollywood actor translates for my tastes. He does compliment the female stars of the thirties very well, he has the ability to highlight and add to what they are doing without losing the viewers eye at the same time. I do look forward to what others have to say about him and I love your post Wendy.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

In addition to being a wonderful actor with a wry sense of humor very few men wore a suit as well as he did. A very well done essay on Mr. Powell. Thanks.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Jacks, you've done it again. I love this guy, he's always been a top favorite of mine. It has always been a point of pride that he and my grandmother Gertrude graduated from Central High School in Kansas City Mo together. I don't remember her talking about him (but my dad did) and we all thought we were 'touched by greatness' just having that bragging right.

He was truly lovely in everything he did. I watched the first few minutes of Mister Roberts, was totally entranced with that marvelous voice.

Thanks for this marvelous post!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Wendy, what happened to Charles Boyer, I thought he was your number one guy :wink:

I kind of sit on the fence where William Powell is concerned, I wouldn't seek out a film just because he's in it but admit he's brilliant in a couple, My Man Godfrey being my favourite and he does lighten up some films that otherwise might be a shade dull, I do find him quite stylised, which is a bit rich because most actors are stylised and that's why we like them. I just haven't fully got into him yet, I think it was mentioned elsewhere, I guess it's another example of my British quirks, that not every Hollywood actor translates for my tastes. He does compliment the female stars of the thirties very well, he has the ability to highlight and add to what they are doing without losing the viewers eye at the same time. I do look forward to what others have to say about him and I love your post Wendy.
Ha ha! Charles is still in my top five favorites! :D He's another who I respect more and more as time goes on.

You are right, Alison, that some of the thirties stars are pretty stylized and that's why we like them. I guess I really go for those brilliant performances of his..... nobody could be as much fun or suave in a moment of crisis as Nick Charles, or as perfect as Godfrey. His speaking voice is as different from the way most people talk as Cary Grant's, but maybe that's why we love them both. It's what we'd like to be, or at least be a part of their world. They make it all seem so much more fun, better somehow there inside the movies. I can see how Powell might not translate well. And sometimes he does seem too silly, like in the later MGM pics with Myrna Loy, but I still enjoy them.

In his prime in the early to mid thirties, and then again in his later appearances like Life With Father, Mr. Roberts and How to Marry A Millionaire, he's divine.

At the TCM website, the writer of his bio points out that "Powell represented a midway point between the tough-talking Lower East side grittiness of James Cagney and the smooth, upper class sophistication of Fred Astaire and Noel Coward. With his crisp, staccato line delivery, Powell made a very smooth transition to sound".

I think this is a fair summation of why Powell became so popular in talkies - he was natural and relaxed, urban enough to strike the right tone with those who liked the city toughs, and urbane enough to fit in with the audiences who liked the upper crust gentry. This gave him a broad variety of roles - as the down to earth guy who wasn't too earthy, and as the cosmopolitan sophisticate who wasn't too highbrow. He was worldly in the best ways, which put him in a category that crossed boundaries.
Jacks, you've done it again. I love this guy, he's always been a top favorite of mine. It has always been a point of pride that he and my grandmother Gertrude graduated from Central High School in Kansas City Mo together. I don't remember her talking about him (but my dad did) and we all thought we were 'touched by greatness' just having that bragging right.
knitty!!!!!

YOUR GRANDMOTHER GRADUATED WITH HIM????

Oooh, don't you wish your grandma had told you some nuggets of info about him? Apparently, to the consternation of his father, he got bit by the acting bug early on, right after they moved to Kansas City. He was ambitious, and did everything, school plays, elocution, debating, and even cheerleading, just to get experience in front of an audience. He even took up cartoon drawing for the yearbook....Check it out -these are pictures that your grandmother probably had at one time in her yearbook(!):

ImageImage
In addition to being a wonderful actor with a wry sense of humor very few men wore a suit as well as he did.
I think the urge to dress well came early:

ImageImageImage
feaito

Post by feaito »

Nice tribute to the great William Powell Wendy, one of my very favorite actors.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ahh, It's wonderful to see you on the boards, fer! I miss your posts dreadfully. I think we are on the same wavelength with the stars and movies we both like. Take care, and have a great holiday.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

What a wonderful tribute Wendy.

The warmth with which you speak of William Powell, the warmth with which you write is what I respond to. There's nothing perfunctory about the way you disseminate facts, information or reasons why you laud your favorite motion picture stars. There's no veil between you and any subject or you and the reader.

Helping my parents deal with an issue prevented me from settling down with Bill the other night. Having read your thread on Powell is the reason I felt missing out, acutely. Even if my emotional connection to him is not as strong as it is with Gable or Bogart or Cary, I have always respected William Powell and know that he's earned his well-deserved place in movies.

Keep writing, Favellspenskaya.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Hey, Maven,

I realized there was no thread for him, and no Star of the month tribute. You and MissGoddess are the ones who should take the credit. She got me thinking about Powell when she mentioned him at the beginning of the month, and you asked me to name my top five performers of the thirties (which I still haven't done).

I was in the mood to go look around for some pictures, and that's what really spurred me on. In some, he looks so sad, and then there are the many many ones where he's just goofing around.

knitty,

Did you know that Powell lived a few blocks away from the Carpenter family in Kansas City? Their daughter Harlean, became Jean Harlow, though she and Bill didn't meet each other till later. That just blew my mind.
feaito

Post by feaito »

JackFavell wrote:Ahh, It's wonderful to see you on the boards, fer! I miss your posts dreadfully. I think we are on the same wavelength with the stars and movies we both like. Take care, and have a great holiday.
Thank you very much Wendy. I've had low amounts of energy to tackle anything "written" (longer than one paragraph) for the last months...Hope I'll get over this languishment :wink: One of my favorite books from the Citadel Press series is The films of William Powell. I peruse it from time to time
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I hope you are feeling up to par really soon. Your presence is missed! Take it easy, one day at a time... we will be here when you get back.

I would really like to read about Powell....usually I bumble along without knowing too much about my favorites, sometimes I like it better that way... :D