ALFRED HITCHCOCK

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Konway

Re: ALFRED HITCHCOCK

Post by Konway »

Agreed, MissGoddess. The film is also very interesting due to the fact that Hitchcock presents the psychology through his storytelling style. Compared to other writers or storytellers, Hitchcock's attention to small details makes the storytelling much more intense. Hitchcock revealed his attention to small details to Tom Snyder in 1973 interview.

Here is another example of judging by its "appearances" in Saboteur.

Let me take "Soda City." When Patricia and Barry reach Soda City, they see an abandoned city. In Hitchcock's own words, Soda City is "A Ghost Town." But later, we realize that we should not judge a location based on the "physical" appearance of it when Barry and Pat find out that Tobin's men do their "secret" plans through an abandoned office in this abandoned city.

Another example is the use of "an old fashioned peel telephone" in this "abandoned" office. The message that comes through this old fashioned peel telephone is what matters. And not the physical appearance of the phone.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

So true about Soda City and the phone! Good catch. I love that scene. Hitch loved to place people in these "in the middle of nowhere" places. It's the most "out west" he ever got, too. :D
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Konway

Post by Konway »

I also like the idea of Patricia Martin (Priscilla Lane) being a strong woman. She is also a determined woman. Another example about judging based on the appearance is the scene where Barry (Robert Cummings) believes Patricia's words rather than understanding her inner intentions is also brilliant. Its the scene where Patricia Lane immediately grabs his hands with handcuffs and puts under the steering in such a way Barry can't move his hands. Hitchcock's attention toward small moments also make the film very interesting. Another interesting touch is "the pen with no ink" where Patricia tries to write something like this "Help! See the Light Flickers" close to the end of the film.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

She's certainly obstinate! :D She's just very young and innocent. Her heart's in the right place. My favorite scenes are those in the woods, with her father (or is it her uncle?). I feel here was certainly a spiritual message, very well done. There is always much to revisit in the films of great directors, details that you may have only glanced at the first few times.

Konway, are you a fan of Fritz Lang or Jean Renoir?
-- Will Rogers
Konway

Post by Konway »

Its her uncle. His name is Philip Martin (played by Vaughan Glaser). If you watch that scene, then you will see his capability in hearing. For Example, When Barry hears a car, he asks "Is that a car coming?" Uncle Philip replies "2 cars I think." When Barry goes and looks through the window, we see 2 cars. When Barry Kane says "My Name is Barry K..(pauses and immediately says) Mason." Before Barry leaves Philip, Philip says something like this - "Barry I know is your name. But your voice explained it to me that Mason isn't."

I have watched the films from Fritz Lang and Jean Renoir. But unfortunately, they didn't influence me. For Example, Schumacher's random shooting in the house makes it hard for me take the subject in Jean Renoir's The Rules of the Game seriously. But I will look at them since you told me about it. I have similar problem with Citizen Kane. I have difficulty understanding why it is considered so great.
Konway

Post by Konway »

I also want to point out some of the less known actors whom Hitchcock often worked with before he came to America.

Clare Greet worked with Hitchcock in 8 films. Her last film directed by Hitchcock was Jamaica Inn. She died in 1939.

Here are eight films - Number 13 (unfinished 1922 film directed by Hitchcock),The Ring, The Manxman, Murder, Lord Camber's ladies (produced by Alfred Hitchcock), The Man Who Knew too Much, Sabotage, Jamaica Inn.

For Number 13, Only photos survive.

John Longden worked with Hitchcock in 6 films.

Here are the six films - Blackmail, Juno and Paycock, Elstree Calling (John Longden was in the segment directed by Hitchcock), The Skin Game, Young and Innocent, and Jamaica Inn.

John Longden also did the narration for A Matter of Life and Death (1946) directed by Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger.
Konway

Post by Konway »

What do you all think about North by Northwest? As you know, I like North by Northwest, because of Hitchcock's direction, Cary Grant's performance, and Bernard Herrmann's music. But I wasn't fond of Cinematography by Robert Burks and Performance by Eva Marie Saint. Eva Marie Saint is a great actress. But somehow, I wasn't fond of her character and also her performance.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

North By Northwest is not one of my favorites. It's a little long, and I am also not so fond of Eva Marie Saint, she's not bad but I keep picturing how much more exciting it would have been with Grace Kelly.

I asked my family to watch The Trouble with Harry tonight. Alice liked it, but was a little bored, the tempo got to her I think. I didn't realize how leisurely it was paced until I watched it in a group. However, she LOVED Arnie, played by little Jerry Mathers. Oh my gosh, she laughed at everything he did and said, especially this exchange:
Sam Marlowe: Perhaps I'll come back tomorrow.
Arnie: When's that?
Sam Marlowe: The day after today.
Arnie: That's yesterday. Today's tomorrow.
Sam Marlowe: It was.
Arnie: When was tomorrow yesterday?
Sam Marlowe: Today.
Arnie: Oh, sure. Yesterday.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Konway wrote:What do you all think about North by Northwest? As you know, I like North by Northwest, because of Hitchcock's direction, Cary Grant's performance, and Bernard Herrmann's music. But I wasn't fond of Cinematography by Robert Burks and Performance by Eva Marie Saint. Eva Marie Saint is a great actress. But somehow, I wasn't fond of her character and also her performance.
I thought Eva Marie Saint did a good (She has her moments both good and bad, and I can see why you made these comments here) job in this movie Konway and I was a little surprised by your comments here and I thought the Cinematography was good too. It is one of my favorite Hitchcock movies ever made.
JackFavell wrote:North By Northwest is not one of my favorites. It's a little long, and I am also not so fond of Eva Marie Saint, she's not bad but I keep picturing how much more exciting it would have been with Grace Kelly.
I agree with you Jack Favell it is a tad bit long ... and I was a little surprised that you are not fond of Eva Marie Saint at all. But, later in your thoughts ... you mentioned Grace Kelly and that would been a better movie if Grace was made available. But, unfortunately she was married to Prince Rainier of Monaco.

It would been a better film if Grace was the starring actress instead of Eva Marie.

Konway and Jack Favell ... your thoughts on North By Northwest made me rethink about this movie and I for one, believe that you both made excellent points here and won't get an argument out of me. Thanks for sharing it.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Is John Forsythe's character "Sam Marlowe"? What an interesting name. Two famous detectives.

I think NxNW is a great example of what I call a "movie movie". It's simply wonderful escapism, like Star Wars or a perfect banana split. :D I am fine with Eva, she is elegant and cool and the part doesn't demand much more. Grace is always going to make any Hitchcock 1950s movie better, but I don't feel robbed. I cannot say enough about the score. I am not sure, but except perhaps for Gone With the Wind, I think that due to the music (and the graphics) that North by Northwest has just about the most exciting opening title sequence of any film. And I haven't even seen it in a theater yet! I think I might need smelling salts if I experienced that stunning music in a theater with surround sound. :D

I believe the 007 movies took inspiration from North by Northwest in their great musical openings .

-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Those are great points, MissG! I never thought of it as a James Bond role model, but I think you might be onto something, and not just in the opening titles. Aside from the device of having Cary play an "innocent' everyday man in a corrupt world that he has to adjust to, he handles it all so well that he could be 007. And Eva really fits the Bond Girl role.
Konway

Post by Konway »

SPOILERS (for North by Northwest)

Jack Favell, The Trouble with Harry does have a slow pace compared to other Hitchcock films. Overall, it was an enjoyable film to me. But I think the audience would have understood more of the humor if the screenwriter was Samson Raphaelson or Edwin Justus Mayer. Both of them often worked with Ernst Lubitsch. But I do appreciate the effort Hitchcock did with the film.

With North by Northwest, I agree that Grace Kelly would have been a great choice. I didn't think about casting Grace Kelly before. I had 2 choices for the Eve Kendall. First one was Vera Miles, because of her ability of showing troubled feelings. My second choice was Joan Fontaine, because I feel that she is able to convey the feeling of fear to the audience just like we feel her fear in Suspicion.

With Eva Marie Saint's performance, I didn't feel any sympathy towards her character. This is because she knows Roger O. Thornhill is an innocent man who is wrong accused of both something (death of Lester Townsend) and someone (George Kaplan) she has to do with. She knows that Roger completely trusts her. But she pushes Roger into an even more danger (crop duster scene) after all the disasters Roger faced previously. After that, Roger comes to the hotel where he meets Eve by coincidence. After all that happened, Eve tells Roger to stay far away from her. She is the one who put him in this mess and tells him to stay far away from her. I think this would have been worked brilliantly if someone like Grace Kelly or Vera Miles or Joan Fontaine played the role. This is because each of these actresses can show frightened feeling to the audience. Through this, the audience would have felt that Eve Kendall "really" wanted Roger to be completely safe. But due to her position of being with Vandamm, she is extremely frightened inside. But with Eva Marie Saint, I couldn't sense that fear.

Kingme, I don't like arguing either. You are always welcome to share your opinions. I always appreciate it.
Konway

Post by Konway »

MissG, I didn't notice your post. I agree about the score. A wonderful score from Bernard Herrmann. My personal favorite score from Bernard Herrmann came after he split with Hitchcock. I think I mentioned it before. But I will write it again. My favorite score is Herrmann's score for The Road Builder.

I also agree about the influence of North by Northwest on 007 movies.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I see where this going reference of 007 Movies to North by Northwest ... and reading about here and I can clearly see that. And, thanks for pointing it out. I can clearly see the handwriting on the wall ... sort of speak.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I saw "Northwest" in the theater this summer. The opening sequence is quite interesting on the big screen. The angles and the lines moving with the music gets your attention. Really impressive though were those close up shots of Rushmore when they get there.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."