ALFRED HITCHCOCK

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
MissGoddess

Re: ALFRED HITCHCOCK

Post by MissGoddess »

Both are good. I admit I didn't see the twist coming in Colleen's episode.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

It chilled me to the bone, Miss G. I miss her. She was a force!!

P.S. I like the domesticity of your avatar. AND the venetian blinds shadows...my favorite feature of forties films.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

so many forties films wouldn't be the same without those blinds. i had a photo session once where the photographer had me wear a trench, a beret and made that venetian blind effect. she also used one of the very cameras *clarence bull* used for his sessions. she apprenticed under mark viera who learned from bull. it was a really cool pose, like one that dietrich used to publicize *man power*.
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Looks like Gene's got her stripes all over Dana.

I would LOVE to see those photos, MissG!

Thanks for posting these shows, Maven. I've been on a little Hitch walk this week myself, but I haven't seen either one of these yet. The more Dan Duryea and Colleen Dewhurst the better.

Alice and I watched Rebecca on Saturday. She liked it very much. There were a few gasps of surprise let out, especially when she figured out that Maxim might have killed Rebecca. She was completely spellbound (sorry) by Mrs. Danvers.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

what a home run! you have a little hitch fan in your nest. :D

i'm not sure where those photos are, i have lost track of so many things over the years, moving around like i used to do. if i ever find them i'll try to post them. i had some great ones taken at the beach (malibu) and the will rogers polo grounds, too (same photographer), that i have never located.
:cry:
-- Will Rogers
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

We have a star in our midst. Find those fotos, STAT!

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

ha, far from it but i did run into some fascinating people out there and they were often surprised by my interest in old movies. this was way before the TCM fest, of course.
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I know how it is Missg. I have so many beautiful things that I lost in my various moves around the country. Sad but they are just things, and I can draw them up in my minds eye when I want to.

I wasn't sure Alice would like Rebecca or not. She hated The Trouble With Harry, except for the Beaver. :D

Alice really loved Rebecca's room. She said, "That's kind of on the bizarre side" about the underwear. Later on she said, "Mrs. Danvers never blinks". She rolled her eyes when Jack Favell jumped into the car with Max and second Mrs. de Winter. She HATED Javier Bardem... OOPS! That's another movie. :D :D :D About two thirds of the way through she said, "How come she says she dreamed of Manderley? why can't she just go there?" so I know she was actively engaged in the movie. She said after this one (and after the Bond movie which we pretty much forced her to go see with us after a friend told us it wasn't too naughty or violent) "Mom, I have to admit, I really liked it, even though I didn't think I would".
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

it's great she's learning to keep an open mind. i admit i don't always do so myself!
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ha! Me neither.

Oh and I forgot, Alice loved the weird old guy in the boathouse, she jumped about a mile when he opened the door, and of course she loved Jasper the dog. When Second went to the boat house after Max warned her not to, she was literally talking to the screen, "DON'T GO IN THERE!" WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!!"

She basically fell in love with the tone of the movie, not so much what happened.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

There are very few tv programs today, who can even match not ONE PAGE of an Alfred Hitchcock program's script

So, you're saying HOT IN CLEVELAND doesn't quite measure up?

so many beautiful things that I lost in my various moves around the country

Do you own your stuff or does your stuff own you? I lose half my possessions every time I move!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

A film buff in the making with a critical eye ( "She basically fell in love with the tone of the movie..." ) an open mind, or willingness to change it ( "Mom, I have to admit, I really liked it, even though I didn't think I would" ) an eye for set design ( "Alice really loved Rebecca's room." ) and just about ready to go to the movies deep in 'da hood ) "she was literally talking to the screen, "DON'T GO IN THERE!" WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!!" )

Pauline Kael, Judith Crist movie over! Jaxxxon, you've got to have your Mini Favell write a post here for the Board one day soon of an old movie she's seen. ( "Ha, yeah right Mom. You can't fool me. More homework!" :shock: )

No Red, "Hot In Cleveland" does not count...other than getting a paycheck and making those mortgage payments. And by the by...my stuff owns me. I'll post a picture of my little red house that I've had since I was in Kindergarten.

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ha! I'll try but it's hard enough just getting her to watch the dang movies...
Konway

Post by Konway »

SPOILERS (Stage fright, Vertigo, and Psycho)

I don't know if anyone noticed this. But Stage Fright foreshadowed many of Hitchcock's later films including Vertigo and Psycho.

One of them was that Jonathan Cooper's story towards Eve Gill is part true and part invented. This is just like Gavin Elster's story about Madeleine and Carlotta Valdes. Elster's story about Carlotta was part true and part invented. In Psycho, Norman's story about his past towards Marion was part true and part invented.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

JackFavell wrote:Ha! I'll try but it's hard enough just getting her to watch the dang movies...
No no no...don't force the issue. She might up and adopt herself out to a rich old couple. ( Depriving ME of a home with them. ) :shock: