Basil Rathbone

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
mongoII

Basil Rathbone

Post by mongoII »

I think after today's birthday film salute to Mr. Rathbone, it's time he had his own thread.
A wonderful actor and two time Oscar nominee, he is also the perfect slimeball which he proved in many films. Let's hear it for Basil!
Joseph Goodheart
knitwit45

Re: Basil Rathbone

Post by knitwit45 »

well, YEAH....

[youtube][/youtube]
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Great idea for a thread, Mongo! Here's a rare glimpse of the real Basil being interviewed in 1959 and talking about the days when the Brits ruled Hollywood. I only wish it were longer:
[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I just watched TCM's Dawn Patrol today and I certainly enjoyed the acting of Rathbone, Flynn, and Niven today and it was so good from start to finish ... I love the acting, the dogfights, the excellent camera work, and the emotions of all "flyers" in an excellent WWI film about "War in the Air" ... Rathbone was superb in this movie and I for one, recommend it to anyone here who is a World War One History Bluff ... like me.

[youtube][/youtube]
This is only You Tube that I can find that is related to this movie ...

I love the chemistry of the big three Rathbone, Flynn, and Niven ... and It one of the better World War One movies that deals with dogfighting and I just dig the action scenes in this movie.

I was :D to see it for a very long time!
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Absolutely! The Dawn Patrol is a true classic with terrific ensemble playing by the three leads (and not to overlook Donald Crisp, who was good in everything).

Played hookey from a day of writing to celebrate Mr. Rathbone's birthday with TCM. One of my all-time faves, superb at villainy but equally effective in more sympathetic roles, as in A Feather in Her Hat.

Such a distinguished career, though it does sadden me that in his later years his exceptional talents were wasted in such wretched fare as Autopsy of a Ghost and Hillbillys in a Haunted House.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Sadly, most of our golden age stars end up there.
Joseph Goodheart
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

mongoII wrote:Sadly, most of our golden age stars end up there.
At least most of us cherish the best of his and other stars' careers, not the prosaic films they did to keep the wolf from the door.

I have read very sad letters written by Basil in the late '50s and early '60s to his agent explaining his ongoing need to work to care for himself and his beloved Ouida as they aged. I just hope that he and his wife could look back with pleasure on those dazzling (and wildly extravagant) parties they gave back in the halcyon days of the studio system. The actor also seems to have had a great sense of humor. Once, when performing on the radio as Sherlock with his on-screen partner Nigel Bruce, Basil reportedly set fire to his colleague's script live and on air. (I hope Nigel got his revenge).
Rathbone and Bruce being licked to death by Nigel Bruce's four pet dachshunds.

If you would like, you can see Rathbone and friends having what looks like an awfully good time exercising their theatrical flair in their off-hours: here.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Love those dogs! I think my Sugar is part dachshund. Frankly, I'm not sure! This fine actor (Rathbone, not Sugar) was wonderful in everything. Everything! DAVID COPPERFIELD, A TALE OF TWO CITIES, TOWER OF LONDON. He walks away with ROBIN HOOD. I hardly notice the good guys! In THE COURT JESTER, he goes up against a manic Danny Kaye and manages to get laughs of his own. That's not easy. HILLBILLIES IN A HAUNTED HOUSE is yet to be screened by any of the film societies in my area; an injustice that should be remedied. I can't comment on that one!
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Yes, don't think it's wrong to say that it was Ouida's parties that basically bankrupted the Rathbone's - in later years. From what I understand Basil was one of the highest paid character actors of the 30s, earning around five grand a week. Yet when he died his bank account was quite minimal and Ouida thereafter was obliged to subsist off the generosity of friends.

We can also consider John Carradine. Another highly paid character actor whose life also ended in virtual poverty - yet, like Rathbone, kept working to the end --- in utter garbage.

I could also mention Cameron Mitchell, but this is really becoming painful.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

If you haven't seen this one yet, you must see Rathbone matched step for step with the great Ann Harding. Is it acting when you can make veins pop in your forehead?

[youtube][/youtube]

"Can you imagine a man trusting his life in a woman's silence?"
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Thanks for the link Moira, I've read so much about his legendary parties, I'm only sorry it nearly bankrupted them in the end. You can't take it with you though and it sounds like they made the most of their Hollywood life.

Did Basil Rathbone steal Robin Hood? It depends on how you look at Errol Flynn, for me no one could steal a film from Errol Flynn but then I've been a fan since adolesence but I do know what you mean Red, Basil was the best villan to play against Flynn because he was such a strong screen presence himself and an excellent swordsman. Those films wouldn't be the same with a different villan.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

It could also depend on gender. It may be harder for a woman to take her eyes off Errol Flynn in tights!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

It's hard for this woman to take her eyes off Errol Flynn in tights :D
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

:shock: :oops: :shock: :oops: :shock: :oops: me too....
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Whew! Well I guess where Errol's concerned, there's safety in numbers. Count me in as a girl who'll watch Errol take off his tights.

...or tie...or boots...or....

I mean, can't take off my eyes off of Errol in tights. Yeah...that's what I meant! :shock:
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com