Preston Sturges

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Preston Sturges

Post by movieman1957 »

Hail The Conquering Hero reminded me of the scene in Keaton's "Seven Chances" when Keaton accidentally starts an avalanche of boulders that he spends several minutes dodging. Here, our "hero" spends most of the movie trying to avoid the avalanche of good intentions only to be continually run over by them.

I think the best thing about the movie is the performances. William Demarest is wonderful. Bracken is well cast as the poor guy swept up in this flood of love that is totally bogus and he can't stop it. Other cast members, so many wonderfully introduced by Wendy earlier in this thread, do a wonderful job. They bring a great deal of gusto to the proceedings.

It's not that the film is laugh-out-loud funny. It's more a snickering film. Many of the funniest parts are under-their-breath comments that are reactions. There are lovely little poignant moments too. Things like the household shrine to Eddie's late father, a casualty of WWI, and a few comments remind of us the sacrifice that real soldiers were making.

Sturges, to his credit I feel, is very good at letting the actors tell the story. He is a minimalist director here. He turns on the camera and lets them go. An early scene in a bar where Eddie meets the boys goes 5 minutes without a cut and only a small zoom in and out to change it up. Later a long walking shot with Ella Raines and her fiance goes a long time as the camera follows them with no cuts. I know people do stuff like this on stage all the time but it is so rare in a movie that it is grand to watch people work in long stretches. In those scenes what the people are doing when they are not speaking keeps things natural. I think Srurges does a fine job of writing for so many different characters.

It's not everyone's cup of tea and while it is not as funny as "Easy Living" I think it's pretty good.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh gosh, Chris! This is a wonderful review!

When I first saw this one I didn't like it much, I think because it was so gentle and it just didn't strike me as funny except for the big scene where Bracken tells everyone in town he isn't worthy and they think he's being falsely modest. Now after repeated viewings it's one of my favorites all the way through and I've begun to appreciate it properly.

You are so right about the characters and actors. It's actually quite moving. I love the way the way Bracken battles with himself. In fact, all the characters have to battle with themselves and their set ways in this movie. Bracken's character sets off a chain reaction (an avalanche) of self awareness in his community, from Ella Raines on to her boyfriend to his father the mayor. It's just great. What really makes me laugh now is how the politician has to bend over backwards in order to be conceived as a good man next to Bracken's 'hero'. It's so hard for him to change, bless his heart.
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

I read with interest the write-ups (previous page) on The Palm Beach story. When I read that Claudette Colbert was in the movie, I checked my Claudette Colbert collection and found that not only was this movie was in my collection, I had not seen it. I corrected that promptly. I enjoyed the show, even if it was so far fetched that it was ridiculous.

Near the end, after Claudette and Joel were reunited I wondered "what would Mary and Rudy do now, left without love interests". The ending really stretched the bounds of feasibility.

And the bottom line, I enjoyed this immensely, even if it was ridiculous.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Thanks Wendy. I enjoyed revisiting your post.

Fossy, "Palm Beach" is far fetched. I've never really quite got the beginning or the end but everything in between is wonderful. I like the one scene where Joel starts to undress Claudette and he kisses her in the middle of her back. Her reaction seems genuine or she is just being very good. The Ale and Quail Club rule.
Chris

Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I like Palm Beach Story too ... its has own quirks and all; and I like the chemistry of Joel and Claudette in this movie and not to mention it's has Mary Astor and Rudy Vallee and that's not a bad foursome of good ole comedy that has a certain charm of its own.

It's has a charming story that it's written by Preston Sturges and I loved Rudy's name on this charming film ... J.D. Hackensacker III and of course Mary Astor too ... The Princess Centimillia.

Loved this Comedy! :)
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Movieman wrote:
The Ale and Quail Club rule.
Sorry. I am compelled to disagree. Everybody knows...

The Wienie King rules! Long Live the Wienie King! (Lay off 'em, you'll live longer.)
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Oh, if I could only be The Wienie King. (I'm too tall and too poor.)
Chris

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

You all are right about "Conquering Hero." It's more about Bracken's view of himself than that of the community. It's not one of my favorites, but like most Sturges comedies, it has depth.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I watched Unfaithfully Yours and as long as you aren't expecting Sullivan's Travels and like dark comedy you may like it.

It may be the most sophisticated Sturges film out there. Rex Harrison is properly arrogant and put-upon through the film. Some of the dialogue is under your breath funny and others used more for effect. Harrison does handle an extended slapstick scene well at the end of the film. One can argue whether it goes too long but I found it enjoyable as I can identify with the idea of things going wrong and piling on each other. (That is more when the Russian Roulette would come out.)

Sturges, I think, this time has his most creative use of camera and sound. The music used to underscore the film from the concert fits well with the "daydreaming" scenes. Credit to Rex also for being pretty good at conducting. He may not have the feel of it but he certainly has the timing down. Linda Darnell is gorgeous. Oddly, there doesn't seem to be a lot for the others to do except for one extended take of Rudy Vallee explaining his understanding of "keeping an eye out" for Darnell.

This is a Criterion DVD which has an interview with Sturges's widow. She explains that part of the reason the film didn't do well was Preston's own feeling of the shortcoming of the film. ("Nothing happened.") Also, the recent suicide of Carole Landis, apparently over her affair with Harrison. caused 20th Century Fox to back off of promoting it because of the storyline. When they did get behind it they sold it as a murder mystery which was dumb as no one gets murdered.

It's different.
Chris

Lucky Vassall

Post by Lucky Vassall »

movieman1957 wrote:I watched Unfaithfully Yours and as long as you aren't expecting Sullivan's Travels and like dark comedy you may like it ... It's different.
I've always loved black comedies, and this is one of the best, so much better than the remake. A matter of wit versus mugging.

Another great Brit, Peter Sellers, also made a great similarly-themed film I can recommend to any who haven't seen it, Battle of the Sexes (1959), based on James Thurber's short story, "The Catbird Seat."
[size=85]AVATAR: Billy DeWolfe as Mrs. Murgatroid, “Blue Skies” (1946)

[b]“My ancestors came over on the Mayflower.”
“You’re lucky. Now they have immigration laws."[/b]
[i]Mae West, The Heat’s On” (1943[/i])

[b]:–)—[/b]
Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Great review, Chris!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

so much better than the remake

I certainly hope so!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Thanks Wendy. Still looking for the one that is going to help me bring things up to your level.

Lucky: I haven't seen the remake but I can't imagine that it is set the same way. While Dudley Moore has the musical pedigree to play the part he doesn't seem to be the kind who would be so arrogant to play it like Harrison.

One other thing that was mentioned in the interview was James Mason was originally asked to play the male lead. That would have worked too.

I liked the line delivered by Edgar Kennedy (a music loving private eye.) "Nobody handles Handel like you handle Handel."
Chris

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oooh. Slow burn Edgar Kennedy.