RITA HAYWORTH - The Love Goddess

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Rita Hayworth

Re: RITA HAYWORTH - The Love Goddess

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Homicide Bureau 1939 Movie
Rita had a small role as J.G. Bliss

Rita Hayworth has a small supporting role as a forensic expert. This is one of my favorite B Movies and I have been trying to get photos from this movie and I got four of them here. All new photos.

Bruce Cabot on the right of Rita here. I don't know who is the other guy on the left of her.

Rita Hayworth and Bruce Cabot pictured here.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Rita Hayworth Misc Photographs

At an undisclosed Hollywood Function in 1945.

After her first movie with Glenn Ford is completed, she is listening some music on her radio in her dressing room awaiting for any final changes.

In an undated photograph, she is talking on a phone. I just loved this photograph here.

This photograph was taken in 1941 during the time that she did her first film with Fred Astaire.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Rita Loves Rockets!

Photographed in 1944.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Some of my Favorite Photos of a
Young Rita ... Part 1 of 2

What a darling young woman here!

These three are simply darling of Rita here ... photographed in 1946.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Rita Hayworth in 1958.

Just before she did Separate Tables with Burt Lancaster and Company. These photos were taken.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Happy Thieves Photographs - Part 1 of 2
With Rex Harrison - A 1961 Film

My favorite picture here ...

Great Shot of Rita and Rex here ...

Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Happy Thieves Photographs - Part 2 of 2
With Rex Harrison - A 1961 Film

The photograph above you is a new photograph here ...

The one on the bottom is new ... great shot of Rita here!

Rita Hayworth in 1961 - New also too.

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Erik, your photos from The Happy Thieves made me wonder how Rita and the notoriously demanding Rex Harrison got along on this movie. Do you know anything about their working relationship during this film? Thanks in advance for any insights you can share from your knowledge of all things Hayworth.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

moira finnie wrote:Erik, your photos from The Happy Thieves made me wonder how Rita and the notoriously demanding Rex Harrison got along on this movie. Do you know anything about their working relationship during this film? Thanks in advance for any insights you can share from your knowledge of all things Hayworth.
http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/4 ... ieves.html

It will be on TCM on November 26th at 1am.

Here's what I think of it - Rex did this movie for the money, it was produced by Rita Hayworth through her husband co-producer James Hill that was so bad it's was considered an ill-fitting movie that was made by Hillworth Productions. "Hill" for James Hill and "Worth" for Rita Hayworth that they actually lost monies on this film and therefore further strained the marriage of James Hill and Rita Hayworth after the film was made.

Sad to say, that this is the only film that they produced together and United Artists at the time sheepishly agreed to release the film altogether. This film was one of the major reasons why they split up and divorced in 1961. After 1961, Rita vowed never, ever get married again.

It was a sad movie for Rita because not only she failed as a co-producer but as a Producer in Name Only. But, it's mad her feel worthless after this film was made and therefore did not make another movie for three years until she hooked up with John Wayne in Circus World and that's time of where her Alzheimer's kicked in.

Rex and Rita did made this movie together and sad to say that's it was Rex's comments spoke so poorly about the film that nobody even bothered writing a review about despite the stardom of Rex Harrison and Rita Hayworth here.

To be honest about this film - and I have seen it two times and I could not wanting to stomach another crack at it again and this is one of the saddest movie that Rita ever made. She tried her best to work with Rex Harrison and Rex sad she's a beautiful actress bar none and but in reality he wanted to make this movie only for the $$$$$ only and that's made Rita unhappy for what I heard.

After the film was made, it had poor reviews, lost monies, further strained the relationship of James Hill and Rita Hayworth, and most of all ... made Rita think twice about making another movie and she waited three years to make Circus World and that movie gave her a chance to work with John Wayne and Claudia Cardinale and that movie made her feel a little better about herself. Working with these two actors gave her hope and that's when she wanted to make another movie and that time working with Glenn Ford in Money Trap in 1965.

In short - Happy Thieves was a disaster in the making.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Happy Thieves - Full Movie on YouTube

[youtube][/youtube]
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Some Great Glamour Photos of Rita
Part 1 of 3

And my personal favorite is this one below.

Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Part 2 of 3

My Personal Favorite ... is this one below!

Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Part 3 of 3

It's really sad that these are the only two photos out of 4,500 plus that I have in color wearing a sharp business suit in color. She's looks so dapper and elegant in that suit and I wished I had more of these photos in color.

These photo in the 3 parts that I just shared with you taken around 1955, three years after she did her comeback film in AFFAIR IN TRINIDAD with Glenn Ford. I just wished I had more to share ... I will share more on late Thursday Afternoon for your Rita Hayworth Photo of the Week.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks for the info about The Happy Thieves, putting it in some context. Having it seen it in the past, I found it rather wan too. Even though Rita looked lovely in Circus World, I found that to be beneath the talents of everyone involved. However, of her later career films, I have always felt that The Money Trap was poignant and quite moving, with Glenn Ford and Rita sharing the screen together, lending the noirish story considerable resonance thanks to their on- and off-screen pasts.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

moira finnie wrote:Thanks for the info about The Happy Thieves, putting it in some context. Having it seen it in the past, I found it rather wan too. Even though Rita looked lovely in Circus World, I found that to be beneath the talents of everyone involved. However, of her later career films, I have always felt that The Money Trap was poignant and quite moving, with Glenn Ford and Rita sharing the screen together, lending the noirish story considerable resonance thanks to their on- and off-screen pasts.

Rita Hayworth's Movies from 1952 to 1965.
Based on a 5 star Ranking Scale ...

Affair in Trinidad (1952)
A Beckworth Corporation Production
Released by: Columbia Pictures
Starring: Rita Hayworth, Glenn Ford
Rita's character: Chris Emery
My Grade of this Movie: 2 1/2 Stars ... Rita did not put her heart in this movie because she was still reeling over the bitter divorce from Prince Aly Khan.

Salome (1953)
A Beckworth Production
Starring: Rita Hayworth, Stewart Granger
Rita's character: Princess Salome
My Grade of this Movie: 3 Stars ... Rita somewhat enjoyed working with Stewart Granger, but she had some mixed feelings about this movie and enjoyed working with Charles Laughton and Judith Anderson.

Miss Sadie Thompson (1953)
A Beckworth Production
Starring: Rita Hayworth, Jose Ferrer
Rita's character: Sadie Thompson
My Grade of this Movie: 4 Stars ... Rita had a ball making this film and enjoyed working with Jose Ferrer and Aldo Ray in this movie. I just loved this movie!

Fire Down Below (1957)
A Warwick-Columbia Picture
Starring: Rita Hayworth, Robert Mitchum, Jack Lemmon
Rita's Character: Irena
My Grade of this Movie: 3 1/2 Stars ... Rita enjoyed working with both Robert and Jack to extent and did this movie with professional pride and was happy to be working again.

Pal Joey (1957)
An Essex George Sidney Production
Starring: Rita Hayworth, Frank Sinatra, Kim Novak
Rita's character: Vera Simpson
My Grade of this Movie: 2 Stars ... Rita was very disappointed in Frank Sinatra and had a great relationship working with Kim Novak. Kim spoke highly of Rita in this movie and she wished Frank put more effort into this film.

Separate Tables (1958)
Hecht-Hill-Lancaster
Released by: United Artists
Starring: Rita Hayworth, Deborah Kerr, Burt Lancaster
Rita's character: Ann Shankland
My Grade of this Movie: 3 1/2 Stars ... Rita enjoyed working with Burt Lancaster and Deborah Kerr. David Niven was a pleasant surprise as well.

They Came to Cordura (1959)
A Goetz Baroda Production
Starring: Rita Hayworth, Gary Cooper
Rita's character: Adelaide Geary
My Grade of this Movie: 2 1/2 Stars ... Rita had a good working relationship with Gary Cooper, but sad to say it had some good moments and some bad moments. But, the movie itself was plain average to me.

The Story on Page One (1960)
The Company of Artists Inc.
Released by: Twentieth Century Fox
Starring: Rita Hayworth, Anthony Franciosa
Rita's character: Jo Morris
My Grade of this Movie: 2 1/2 Stars ... Rita was good in this film, but some of the critics did not think so and that's was a sad for me to hear.

The Happy Thieves (1961)
A Hillworth Production
Released by: United Artists
Starring: Rita Hayworth, Rex Harrison
Rita's character: Eve Lewis
My Grade of this Movie: 1 Star ... A disaster in the making ... a Bomb! ... Rex did this movie for the $$$$

Circus World (1964)
Samuel Bronston Midway Cinerama
Released by: Paramount
Starring: John Wayne, Rita Hayworth, Claudia Cardinale
Rita's character: Lili Alfredo
My Grade of this Movie: 2 1/2 Stars ... A pleasant movie and she really enjoyed working with Claudia here. And, meeting John Wayne had some mixed feeling and that is when her dreaded disease starting to kick in.

The Money Trap (1965)
Max E. Youngstein
Released by: MGM
Starring: Rita Hayworth, Elke Sommer, Glenn Ford
Rita's character: Rosalie
My Grade of this Movie: 2 1/2 Stars ... Good Movie and I consider this movie Rita's Swan Song Movie. Her last outing with Glenn Ford.