Tyrone Power

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
CineMaven

Re: Tyrone Power

Post by CineMaven »

Good to know. Thanxx for creating the thread Paula. :)

If Tyrone Power weren't such a wonderful actor, I'm pretty sure I'd...still be drooling and going ga-ga over him.

:mrgreen: Ga-ga!!! :mrgreen:
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

My dear mother is with you in spirit! "Mom, I saw a Tyrone Power movie. It wasn't very good, though." And your point is...

You know what? I stated I had seen a portion of JOHNNY APOLLO. I was thinking of JOHNNY O'CLOCK, the Dick Powell crime drama that did, in fact, look good. I've just read a description of the Power film. That sounds really good! I definitely haven't seen that. Where did I put that list?
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

CineMaven wrote: The second time will be obvious, but can you or anyone else spot him the first time? Click here:

( A picture's worth a thousand words )

THANK YOU PAULA. :) Tyrone Power needed this!
I spy Ty as one of the theatre ushers - front row third from left.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

feaito wrote: "Crash Dive" (1943), "Witness for the Prosecution" (1957), "The Rains Came" (1939), "Nightmare Alley" (1947), "The Razor's Edge" (1946), "Blood and Sand" (1941), "The Mark of Zorro" (1940), "Captain from Castile" (1947), "Son of Fury" (1942), are all among my very favorite adventure and/or dramatic films, and I saw most of them for the first time as a child.

I have also seen "The Long Gray Line" (1954), "The Eddy Duchin Story" (1956), "The Sun Also Rises" (1957), "King of Khyber Rifles" (1951), "Mississippi Gambler" (1955), "The Black Swan" (1942), "Prince of Foxes" (1949), "Marie Antoinette" (1938), "Jesse James" (1939), "A Yank in the RAF" (1941), "In Old Chicago" (1938), "Rose of Washington Square" (1939), "Second Fiddle" (1939), "Alexander's Ragtime Band" (1938), "Suez" (1938) and they are all good.

I'd like to see again another film that impressed me as a kid: the rousing adventure film "Untamed" (1955) with Susan Hayward.
Thanks for sharing this feaito ... I copied your post here and I will be checking most of these out as I continue to check these out ...
feaito

Post by feaito »

Welcome Kingme! I am glad to read that it has been helpful to you.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u]Jezebel38[/u] wrote:I spy Ty as one of the theatre ushers - front row third from left.
:) You're right Jezebel. Thank you so much for watching. :)
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Maricatrin

Post by Maricatrin »

Western Guy wrote:Fernando, speaking of Ty and Susan Hayward, have you seen RAWHIDE? A terrific Western with a wonderfully suspenseful climax. Recommend it highly.
feaito wrote:Hi Stone, Have not seen that one; it's on my "Pending" List. I have wanted to see it ever since I heard for the first time the title tune sung by Frankie Laine, back in the 1970s....Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look for it.
As I recall, the Frankie Laine song is actually not featured in the Tyrone Power movie Rawhide (1951), but rather in the television series Rawhide (1959-1965). Confusing, isn't it? I just thought I'd mention it so you won't be disappointed by the lack of a Frankie theme song. :)
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaricatrinsMusicVideos
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

He's almost too beautiful (I say almost because I know every woman on this board is going to tell me I'm wrong) but because he's so beautiful he doesn't have that attraction for me that lesser perfect men have (admittedly the lesser perfect are also pretty perfect but not quite as beautiful) but I can admire his looks. I don't think I've ever seen a man like him before, he is quite unique in his looks.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

You prefer the Donald Meek type?
feaito

Post by feaito »

Mary-Kate wrote:
Western Guy wrote:Fernando, speaking of Ty and Susan Hayward, have you seen RAWHIDE? A terrific Western with a wonderfully suspenseful climax. Recommend it highly.
feaito wrote:Hi Stone, Have not seen that one; it's on my "Pending" List. I have wanted to see it ever since I heard for the first time the title tune sung by Frankie Laine, back in the 1970s....Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look for it.
As I recall, the Frankie Laine song is actually not featured in the Tyrone Power movie Rawhide (1951), but rather in the television series Rawhide (1959-1965). Confusing, isn't it? I just thought I'd mention it so you won't be disappointed by the lack of a Frankie theme song. :)
Thanks for the info Mary Kate.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Blood and Sand ... 1941 Film

When I first started collecting Rita Hayworth's Pictures back in 1981 ... My Grandparents (both sexes) always commented the star power of Tyrone Powers, Linda Darnell, Rita Hayworth, and Anthony Quinn in Blood and Sand that came out in 1941. They said that this is the only movie that appeals to both sexes in pure beauty and handsome appeal. The quartet of these four superstars alone made many women happy to see Powers and Quinn and at the same time many men were happy to see Darnell and Hayworth on the big screen too.

Personally, this is one of my favorite Hayworth film.
Personally, this is one of my favorite Powers film.
Personally, this is one of my favorite Darnell film.
Personally, this is one of my favorite Quinn film.

I love this movie ...
Attachments
Tyrone Powers and Rita Hayworth
Tyrone Powers and Rita Hayworth
Picture 1.jpg (70.28 KiB) Viewed 16687 times
Rita Hayworth and Linda Darnell
Rita Hayworth and Linda Darnell
Picture 2.jpg (25.39 KiB) Viewed 16685 times
Anthony Quinn and Rita Hayworth
Anthony Quinn and Rita Hayworth
Picture 3.jpg (20.42 KiB) Viewed 16695 times
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

Most of my collection is of actresses. While I do not have a specific collection of Tyrone Power movies, I have at least ten of his movies. If Tyrone appears in a movie I have then it forms part of my “actress” collection.

For instance

Witness For The Prosecution (1957) is part of my Marlene Dietrich collection.

I`ll Never Forget You (1951) Ann Blyth. This is probably my favourite of his movies. I am a sucker for a love story and this is a love story Par Excellence. Since I started collecting movies (about four years ago), I have sent “thank you” messages to about twenty actresses. I just wanted to thank them for the pleasure they had given me. I neither sought or expected a response from any of them. Ann is one of only two to respond. That makes her really special.

A Yank in The R.A.F . (1941) Betty Grable

Thin Ice (1937) and Second Fiddle (1939) Sonja Henie

In Old Chicago (1937), Alexander`s Ragtime Band (1938) and Rose Of Washington Square (1939) (Alice Faye). Alice had this to say of Tyrone, (quote) “He was the best looking thing I`ve ever seen in my life. Kissing him was like dying and going to heaven”.

Marie Antoinette (1938) Norma Shearer

Flirtation Walk (1934) Ruby Keeler. Blink in this movie and you`ll miss him.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

RedRiver wrote:You prefer the Donald Meek type?
Perhaps I wouldn't go that far but I do like Buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplin who can't be compared in looks to Tyrone Power.

As much as I like Blood and Sand I prefer the earlier silent version and I think it comes down to the difference in time period, there's always something magical for me with a well made silent, especially with a name that has driven up production values than talkies, with a few exceptions. A good cast in both of them and I don't think anyone else could fill Valentino's boots as well as Tyrone.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Maricatrin

Post by Maricatrin »

RedRiver wrote:You prefer the Donald Meek type?
I have to say, that gave me quite a chuckle. :lol:
charliechaplinfan wrote:Perhaps I wouldn't go that far but I do like Buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplin who can't be compared in looks to Tyrone Power.
Buster Keaton I could never call handsome, but he has an interesting face. Lots of character. Not infrequently I find myself drawn to researching and watching certain actors who have no claim to good looks, if something in their appearance/manner/persona interests me. There are certain actors who are considered handsome but who I can't stand watching --- looks aren't enough, they have to have some personality and vitality (not to mention talent.) Tyrone Power had it all.

Some younger shots of Keaton and Chaplin (Chaplin looks boyishly handsome here)

And I challenge anyone to find a photo of a young Donald Meek... :twisted:
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaricatrinsMusicVideos