Shirley Temple RIP

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
stuart.uk

Shirley Temple RIP

Post by stuart.uk »

The great all-round entertainer, mainly as a child Star and polititian Shirley Temple Black has died. She was a life long friend of another child star of the period Sybil Jason, who herself died not that long ago.

I liked her in 2 of her early films. Firstly, Stowaway with Robert Young and Alice Faye, where showed of her talents as a mimic, doing a superb take of Al Jolson, plus playing Ginger Rogers, dancing with a puppet Fred Astaire. Then John Ford's Wee Willie Winkie with C. Aubrey Smith, Victor McLaglen and Ceaser Romero.

I think Shirley was very underrated as an adult actress with films like Since You Went Away, The Pride of Kentucky, Batchelor Knight and my own personal favorite, again with John Ford directing Fort Apache where she plays the sensibly rebellious teenage daughter of bigoted army Colonel Henry Fonda, in a film that also starred John Wayne, John Agar and in one of her best films Anna Lee
Rita Hayworth

Re: Shirley Temple RIP

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I couldn't agree with you more about your assessment of a multi-talented Shirley Temple here - Stuart. And, again thanks for reminding us about her. I adore her greatly.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Here's Shirley in her early 40s in an interview with Michael Parkinson for the BBC

Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Stuart ... the You Tube Link did not work here.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

March Schedule Change for Shirley Temple Tribute

TCM is changing its previously scheduled programming for Sunday, March 9 in order to honor the late Shirley Temple.

Here is the new schedule line-up:

4:30 PM Heidi (1937)
6:15 PM Stowaway (1936)
8:00 PM Bright Eyes (1934)
9:30 PM The Little Princess (1939)
11:15 PM I'll Be Seeing You (1944)
12:45 AM The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer (1947)
2:30 AM A Kiss For Corliss (1949)
4:15 AM That Hagen Girl (1947)

All times Eastern Standard Time
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

A great talent, surely the like of which we will never see again in a child star. They just aren't groomed that way any more. My favorite is The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer, but I'm sure I'm one of the few. :)
She accomplished a lot in her life. RIP
rerun

Post by rerun »

What makes me just want to boil is the fact that I have not heard one word about her death on the TV News.
Not a single word. Good Grief. She was a major icon for goodness sake.
[color=#0000BF][i]Avatar: John Cantarini (Martha's husband) on future world record holder Crazy Kid. He won six in a row
on him.[/i][/color]
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

I was watching ABC Nightly News last night and they ran an excellent tribute to Shirley Temple. Here's a link to watch:

Also found this on the NBC Today Show website:
http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/movi ... -85-n27116

I recorded Entertainment Tonight last night because I figured they'd do a story but to my shock (and annoyance) they did not,
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Rest in Peace dear girl.
Joseph Goodheart
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Have you ever noticed that if a star of the so called classic movies lives long enough, their passing slips under the radar. I bet there are plenty people out there of never even heard of Shirley Temple, despite her considerable achievements
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

stuart.uk wrote:Have you ever noticed that if a star of the so called classic movies lives long enough, their passing slips under the radar. I bet there are plenty people out there of never even heard of Shirley Temple, despite her considerable achievements
It's possible, but most younger people I've seen response from were more surprised that she was still alive rather than not ever having heard of her. I think what you say is very true for the most part, but she is probably an exception.
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

Movie Stand Up and Cheer released in U.S., first to seriously launch Shirley Temple’s film career– 1934
04/19/1934
Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

I have "Child Star" her autobiography on my nightstand. I read it as a teen when it was first out, always got to read Mom's books after she read them. I still read entertainer bios/autobios/memoirs almost exclusively.

She truly was a one-of-a-kind person who led an incredible life... and to me is the perfect example of what art does for society.

I was amazed when finding out my super intense Goth friend about 20 years my junior was completely into Shirley Temple! We attended a Crispin Glover event together and he had these awful posters of Shirley Temple dressed in black leather dominatrix gear and Nazi helmet. I talked her out of buying it because it was distasteful and insulting to Shirley. Bet it's worth a ton of money, after likely receiving a C&D order for unlawful use of her image. Not art.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Shirley Temple: The Dark Side

Shirley Temple . . . BLACK!

"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields