DEBORAH KERR....

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
stuart.uk

Re: DEBORAH KERR....

Post by stuart.uk »

Hi Red

Spoiler

Yess I do like The Chalk Garden, though I do think it's far fetched at times, but I won't spoil the plot for you, only to say the film left me hoping Deborah and John Mills might become romantically involved. It was nice to see Deborah playing a still young woman of the 1960s in contrast to her roles in the 40s and 50s
Last edited by stuart.uk on February 26th, 2014, 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

She's even fine in the misguided BELOVED INFIDEL. So is Peck. It's a mediocre movie, propped up by good actors. Make that VERY good actors!
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Deborah Kerr helped elevate the script of Beloved Infidel, and I feel it needed several revisions. Gregory Peck was also wonderful as F. Scott Fitzgerald, but I just didn't think they had the chemistry of Kerr and Cary Grant or Kerr and Robert Mitchum. As I view this beach scene, I can't help but remember the steamy passion of From Here To Eternity and how Kerr and Lancaster made everyone envy their moments in the surf and sand.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

I've always liked Deborah Kerr as an actor, and in more recent years for the resemblance I feel she has to AM (shared scottish heritage). But -- as good as she is, to me it feels as though she's always playing the same character. She plays that character well and is good at projecting her into all sorts of lifestyles, backgrounds, and experiences, but still, there is a certain sameness to each of her characterizations. I first recall noticing this when I was watching clips from a television adaptation of a Noel Coward play she did with Paul Scofield in the early 1980s. They were both excellent, but as I was watching Kerr, listening to the vocal intonations, it hit me; there's that same Kerr-character again, adapted to this particular walk of life. But since she's so good at it, I don't mind it. :)

I don't think all actors approach characterization this way. Some produce a truly different character each time. Robert Duvall comes to mind, as does Scofield. But some do much as Deborah Kerr did (for example, Gregory Peck).

In case anyone is interested, here is one of the clips I mentioned above:

[youtube][/youtube]
Professional Tourist

Here is a lovely image of Miss Kerr, I think:

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I'd like to see SONG AT TWILGHT. It's a cute little play.

I don't think all actors approach characterization this way. Some produce a truly different character each time

Very, very few. In theatre, yes. In independent films. Hollywood? It's personality!
Professional Tourist

RedRiver wrote:I'd like to see SONG AT TWILGHT. It's a cute little play.
Me too. The teleplay is available on DVD as part of a Noel Coward collection. I'd love to see the whole thing, but can't justify the expense (nor the space the box set would take :wink: ).
RedRiver wrote:
Professional Tourist wrote:I don't think all actors approach characterization this way. Some produce a truly different character each time
Very, very few. In theatre, yes. In independent films. Hollywood? It's personality!
I don't quite agree. Probably there are and have been more "personality" type actors than the true character actors making Hollywood movies. But in the golden age as well as today a fairly good list could be built of true character actors/stars. A few examples:

Claude Rains
Bette Davis
Robert Duvall
Paul Scofield
Agnes Moorehead
Philip Seymour Hoffman
Dustin Hoffman
Meryl Streep
Emma Thompson
Kenneth Branagh
Glenn Close
Fredric March

:D :wink: :P
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

(Above) Here is a lovely image of Miss Kerr, I think:

We can definitely agree on that. Holy cow!
goldennoir1950

Post by goldennoir1950 »

Lets not forget about her wonderful performance in Otto Preminger's Bonjour Tristesse. Even so, any movie she starred in that was shot in technicolor is a treat to every movie lover.

"The angles are the director's thoughts. The lighting is his philosophy"
- Douglas Sirk
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

goldennoir1950 wrote:Lets not forget about her wonderful performance in Otto Preminger's Bonjour Tristesse. Even so, any movie she starred in that was shot in technicolor is a treat to every movie lover.

"The angles are the director's thoughts. The lighting is his philosophy"
- Douglas Sirk
Welcome to the Oasis, goldnennoir! I think you'll find that you are in the company of many of us who cherish Bonjour Tristesse too, as this thread about the film illustrates:
http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... +tristesse
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks