Carl Laemmle

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
moira finnie
Administrator

Carl Laemmle

Post by moira finnie »

You hear so many negative things about moguls, who were responsible for financing and hiring the creative people who made films that we cherish today. I thought it might be refreshing to read what appears to be a well-researched article by Neal Gabler about one of them who went beyond bankrolling talent. You can see more of this New York Times article by clicking on the image below:

Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Re: Carl Laemmle

Post by Rita Hayworth »

As a student of history and a great deal of understanding of the plight of the Jews in World War Two and prior to that - and his heroism of saving Jews and his commitment towards that goal - I say he is one of the shiny example of a man that stood up to Hitler and deserve some credit in saving it.

Having said that, I admire Carl for what he has done and do what he feels what is right and right alone.

In my book - a class act.
goldennoir1950

Post by goldennoir1950 »

I do agree that "Uncle Carl" was a class act, since the days of Laemmle Film Service and defying against Edison's Motion Picture Patent Company. Eventually he started one of the most recognizable Studios, Universal. I think the most interesting element Uncle Carl implemented was he built the studio not only as a movie studio but as a tourist attraction. He would charge patrons twenty-five cents for a tour, and many were able to view films since they were silent. However, the burgeoning rise of sound forced Universal to depart from tours until 1964. Unfortunately, after Irving Thalberg left Universal in 1923 for Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, he instated his own son, Carl Jr as Chief of Production. It's not fair to say that Carl Jr did not have experience and talent that Thalberg was known for, but he did produce some most well known pictures, such as All Quiet on the Western Front, Frankenstein, Dracula, and Imitation of life. Unfortunately, Magnificent Obsession and show Boat were the beginning of the end for Carl Sr and Carl Jr. Both pictures were extremely over budgeted, forcing Carl Jr to cajole his father in taking out a loan from Standard Capital Corporation, which was a mistake from the beginning. The condition was that Universal had ninety days to pay back the loan or the studio would be bought out for $5.5 million dollars. Unfortunately, Universal did not repay the loan and "Uncle Carl" was forced to relinquish the empire that he had started in the early 20th Century. Even though he not as well known as Lew Wassermann; Carl Laemmle's bodacious career and generosity will forever be a symbol of Universal Studios and the movies he created.

" The angles are the directors thoughts. The lighting is his philosophy"
-Douglas Sirk
Last edited by goldennoir1950 on April 28th, 2014, 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

goldennoir1950 wrote:Unfortunately, Magnificent Obsession and show Boat were the beginning of the end for Carl Sr and Carl Jr. Both pictures were extremely over budgeted, forcing Carl Jr to cajole his father in taking out a loan from Standard Capital Corporation, which was a mistake from the beginning. The condition was that Universal had ninety day to pay back the loan or the studio would be bought out for $5.5 million dollars.

Unfortunately, Universal did not repay the loan and "Uncle Carl" was forced to relished the empire that he had started in the early 20th century. Even though he not as well known as Lew Wassermann; Carl Laemmle's bodacious career and generosity will forever be a symbol of Universal Studios and the movies that he created.

Thanks for sharing this with us about Carl and I regretted that both MAGNIFICENT OBSESSION and SHOW BOAT were the beginning of the end of Carl Sr. and Carl Jr. - because of the over-budgeting and all. What you have written - simply nailed the problems of Universal was having those days. I just wanted to share that with you Goldennoir and I appreciate you telling us about it.

One more thing, welcome to Silver Screen Oasis and I will be looking forward hearing more from you!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

MAGNIFICENT OBSESSION and SHOW BOAT were the beginning of the end

That's a shame. Both movies are pretty good.
goldennoir1950

Post by goldennoir1950 »

Yes, After ninety-two days of shooting, Magnificent Obsession came to a negative total of $947,000 and Show Boat was completed at $1,275,000. It's interesting to note that between 1930-1932, Universal did not shoot a picture that exceeded over $500,000 dollars.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

goldennoir1950 wrote:Yes, After ninety-two days of shooting, Magnificent Obsession came to a negative total of $947,000 and Show Boat was completed at $1,275,000. It's interesting to note that between 1930-1932, Universal did not shoot a picture that exceeded over $500,000 dollars.

Thanks for this tidbits of information here ... goldennoir! :)