The Academy discovers Youtube

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Lzcutter
Administrator

The Academy discovers Youtube

Post by Lzcutter »

While the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, deserved or not, has a reputation as one of the most fusty institutions in Hollywood, the organization behind the Oscars is launching a surprising and welcome step toward broadening the conversation about cinema, and about who can and should participate in that discussion. Starting today, the Academy is releasing a diverse slate of digital short documentaries about the moviegoing experience and filmmaking.

“We see an opportunity to tell stories that other people aren’t telling, to tap into the access and resources and membership that we have,” Josh Spector, the Academy’s managing director of digital media and marketing, told BuzzFeed. Since starting in late 2011, Spector has built a small team that has dramatically increased the Academy’s online profile, including an active social media presence. But these docs represent the first major effort in years by the Academy to create its own original content.

The Academy is launching its effort with three short films.

My favorite is the first one with Patton Oswalt visiting the Academy vaults and talking about his favorite film, Blast of Silence.

[youtube][/youtube]

This one is about the creative process of making films:

[youtube][/youtube]

And this one is about how the blind enjoy watching the films:

[youtube][/youtube]

From BuzzFeed: http://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/the-a ... -diversity
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

ChiO

Re: The Academy discovers Youtube

Post by ChiO »

I just knew Patton Oswalt has exquisite taste.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Owen,

I just knew you would like his choice!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Whoa, finally. Welcome to the 21st century, AMPAS. Public interest in your work is far larger than you know. Now if we could just get the George Eastman House to do something similar!

Love the comment: "Okay, we gotta get Newsies, The Man from Planet X, and Drums Along the Mohawk".... :wink:
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks