PAUL NEWMAN

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
CineMaven

PAUL NEWMAN

Post by CineMaven »

:shock: I'm shocked! SHOCKED to find there is no thread devoted to PAUL NEWMAN. :shock:
TCM makes Paul Newman one of its Summer Under the Stars.

6:00 AM - THE RACK (1956) - A Korean War veteran is accused of cracking under enemy torture. Dir: Arnold Laven. Cast:  Paul Newman, Wendell Corey, Walter Pidgeon. BW-100 mins.

Atten-HUT! Newman & Edmond O’Brien

7:45 AM - UNTIL THEY SAIL (1957) - Four sisters in New Zealand fall for Allied sailors en route to World War II. Dir: Robert Wise. Cast:  Jean Simmons, Joan Fontaine, Paul Newman. BW-95 mins. Letterbox Format.

Sisters? A genetic mash-up featuring Joan Fontaine, Piper Laurie, Sandra Dee and Jean Simmons

9:30 AM - THE OUTRAGE (1964) A Mexican bandit's crimes receive wildly different interpretations from four witnesses. Dir: Martin Ritt. Cast:  Paul Newman, Laurence Harvey, Claire Bloom. BW-96 mins. Letterbox Format.

Mad Dog & Englishman Laurence Harvey

11:15 AM - THE PRIZE (1963) An American Nobel Prize-winner mixes it up with spies when he travels to Stockholm to collect his award. Dir: Mark Robson. Cast:  Paul Newman, Edward G. Robinson, Elke Sommer. C-135 mins. Letterbox Format.

Elke Sommers & Newman

1:45 PM - HARPER (1966) - A broken-down private eye sets out to find a rich woman's missing husband. Dir: Jack Smight. Cast:  Paul Newman, Lauren Bacall, Julie Harris. C-121 mins. Letterbox Format.

Newman...in the tradition of a long line of private ( blue ) eyes

4:00 PM - RACHEL, RACHEL (1968) - A small town teacher tries to overcome her shyness. Dir: Paul Newman. Cast:  Joanne Woodward, James Olson, Kate Harrington. C-101 mins. Letterbox Format.

Joanne Woodward...a spinster? I believe it.

5:45 PM - COOL HAND LUKE (1967) - A free-spirited convict refuses to conform to chain-gang life. Dir: Stuart Rosenberg. Cast:  Paul Newman, George Kennedy, J. D. Cannon. C-126 mins. Letterbox Format.

Cool. Chillin’. Just chillin’ out being sexy cool.

8:00 PM - THE LEFT-HANDED GUN (1958) Billy the Kid sets out for vengeance on the men who killed his mentor. Dir: Arthur Penn. Cast:  Paul Newman, Lita Milan, John Dehner. BW-102 mins.

Blue Eyes as Quick Draw McGraw

10:00 PM - BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID (1969) Two free-spirited bank robbers flee railroad detectives and head for Bolivia. Dir: George Roy Hill. Cast:  Paul Newman, Robert Redford, Katharine Ross. C-110 mins. Letterbox Format.

Gorgeous and gorgeous(er) trying to make a getaway

12:00 AM - CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF (1958) A dying plantation owner tries to help his alcoholic son solve his problems. Dir: Richard Brooks. Cast:  Elizabeth Taylor, Paul Newman, Burl Ives. C-108 mins. Letterbox Format.

<< Sigh! >> Eye candy ( and good acting ) for everyone

2:00 AM - SOMEBODY UP THERE LIKES ME (1956) True story of boxer Rocky Graziano's rise from juvenile delinquent to world champ. Dir: Robert Wise. Cast:  Paul Newman, Joseph Buloff, Sal Mineo, Everett Sloane. BW-114 mins. Letterbox Format.

Newman as Crouching Tiger Graziano

4:00 AM - THE HELEN MORGAN STORY (1957) A singer rises from sordid beginnings to fame and fortune... only to lose it all. Dir: Michael Curtiz. Cast:  Ann Blyth, Paul Newman, Richard Carlson. BW-118 mins. Letterbox Format.

Ann Blyth and Newman in a very tense duet
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
RedRiver

Re: PAUL NEWMAN

Post by RedRiver »

Excellent! I've seen all those movies except RACHEL, RACHEL. And I've heard good things about that one! Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to eat fifty eggs!
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

No man can eat fifty eggs.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

If I tried to eat fifty eggs, I think I'd have them scrambled. Shovel them in with a big spoon! I definitely couldn't do hard-boiled!