The Maltese Falcons

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Lzcutter
Administrator

The Maltese Falcons

Post by Lzcutter »

Vanity Fair takes a stab at trying to figure out exactly how many Falcons were made for the John Huston film, The Maltese Falcon.

Interestingly enough for all the talk of the various falcons made for the 1941 film and the so-called sequel, The Black Bird, starring George Segal, there is no paragraph about the mold made for Scene of the Crime Bookshop that sold plaster replicas of the falcon, of which I own one.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/201 ... ese-falcon
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Fossy

Re: The Maltese Falcons

Post by Fossy »

One must feel sorry for the man who paid four million plus dollars. It is unlikely that he will ever get his money back. I have both the 1931 and 1941 versions and I do not think much of either of them. The 1931 version I have must be the 1950`s TV release as it is called Dangerous Female. Obviously the 1941 version is more highly regarded, having received three Oscar nominations.
Masha

Post by Masha »

Fossy wrote:One must feel sorry for the man who paid four million plus dollars. It is unlikely that he will ever get his money back.
I am sure that he would receive refund if it could be proved that what he purchased is not original statuette. The legal basis might be shaky but the public relations repercussions resulting from an auction house misrepresenting an article are severe. The four-point-one million dollars is inconsequential compared to the damage to their reputation if they did not refund the money and it would be wonderful for their reputation if they did.

I personally feel that paying so much money for such an item is foolish. The item belongs in museum where it can be appreciated by many. I feel also that having such things in the private market with expectations of ever-increasing value is prostituting heritage. A limited-edition reproduction should be sufficient for any person.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Masha

Post by Masha »

I have stumbled across forum for people who create and collect replicas of movie props. I found this thread concerning: Maltese Falcon replicas to have some very interesting comments and images: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=247619

One great image is a poster's display case holding: golden icon from: Indiana Jones movie beside: Falcon. There are also: ruby slippers and shoes which I believe represent those in one of the: Back to the Future movies. I do not recognize source of three of them. I love that: left-side-lowest is engine part from one of my favorite movies. It made me smile to see it.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya