KIDS

mrsl

KIDS

Post by mrsl »

This is basically just a thread for thoughts on any kid actors you might like, or have questions about. I put it under DRAMA because, you can almost always bet when a kid is in a drama, you're going to get a crying scene.

Did anyone ever mix up Virginia Weidler and Jane Withers? I used to all the time, and wondered if I was the only one to see the similarity in them.

I was watching the Ghost Whisperer tonight and as a guest, I noticed the name of Mae Whitman. This little girl, who is now nearly 20, has been around for quite a long time. She was the daughter in Hope Floats w/Sandra Bullock and she was mesmerizing in the scene where her daddy was leaving. If you've seen the movie, you know what I mean - that was her daddy and you could feel her torment. During her years from about 7 to 11, she was all over TV and movies, then suddenly she disappeared. I missed her because I always enjoyed her performances. Then here she pops up tonight. I looked her up on imdB and find, she's been around all this time, just took a break from in front of the camera (per se) and has done a lot of voice work in cartoons and such. I'm glad she's back, although I'm not thrilled with the movies she's in. I only hope she doesn't go the way of the screameramas.

Also, does anyone know whatever happened to the middle sister in Meet Me in St. Louis - Agnes (Joan Carroll), imdB says she retired in 1956, but to where and did she never return to H'wood?

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
bradtexasranger

Post by bradtexasranger »

Hi Anne,

Just wanted to check in and let you know I totally agree with you about Mae Whitman in Hope Floats. That scene alone makes the movie worthwhile, she really makes you feel her pain. That scene always breaks my heart no matter how many times I've seen it. I didn't know she was still around, what other movies has she been in?
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Hi Brad:

I hope you get this sometime within reason. Mae was the presidents daughter in Independence Day, and George Clooney's daughter in One Fine Day. She was in several episodes of JAG, and Chicago Hope. She's also done a lot of work on Avatar and American Dragon whatever they are. She has four movies right now in post production, two of which seem like teenage horror movies, one looks like a college summer fun thing and the last might be something with Angelica Houston, (I'm not sure). I would certainly hate to see her turn into one of those stupid screaming, mimis. She had a valid talent.

Anne
Anne

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I thought Skip Homier did a great job in "Tomorrow The World." Playing a nasty Nazi 11 year old in America would be a tough job but I thought he did fine.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

He made you really dislike him didn't he? It's a frightening scenario when you realize he was a true example of what was going on.

Anne
Anne

bradtexasranger

Mae Whitman

Post by bradtexasranger »

Thanks Anne,

I don't remember her in Independence Day or One Fine Day, but it's been ages since I've seen either. I'm glad she's keeping busy.
melwalton

kids

Post by melwalton »

I thought Patty McCormack was very good in 'The Bad Seed'. Ditto Bonita Granville in 'These Three'.