The Captive Heart

knitwit45

The Captive Heart

Post by knitwit45 »

Has anyone seen this movie? I first saw it several years ago on the History channel, and was absolutely taken by it. It stars Michael Redgrave as a Polish escapee from a concentration camp in World War 2, who is stranded behind enemy lines, and must impersonate a British officer to survive and be kept captive in a German P.O.W. camp for British soldiers. If he is identified as Polish, it would mean certain death.
There are no big action scenes, but a lot of small, exquisite stories about the different POW's and their struggles to survive. Absolutely a must see if you can find it.
TCM does not have it scheduled, but you might request it, as I have several times. You will not be disappointed.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I love this different and haunting prisoner of war drama, The Captive Heart (1946) too, Nancy, though I haven't seen it in a long time.
Michael Redgrave & Rachel Kempson in "The Captive Heart"

I thought that it was a beautiful film, with subtle glimpses of brotherly, romantic and platonic love stories told on several levels, from the German guard who is forced to shackle the Allied prisoners by his superiors, but tries to separate himself from the action, to the unspoken affection that springs up between (real life spouses) Rachel Kempson and Michael Redgrave in their letters.

While foregoing much of the derring-do of a Stalag 17 or The Great Escape, it manages to convey the physical and psychological claustrophobia as well as the sometimes surprising strengths of any diverse group. There are some marvelous performances by Gordon Jackson as a blind POW and Mervyn Johns as well. I wish that this were available on dvd in the U.S., but I was delighted to discover that it can be had in used vhs form for very little on Amazon!

If anyone cherishes Redgrave's performances in Dead of Night, The Importance of Being Earnest or as I do, as W.B. Yeats in Young Cassidy, they will probably like this one. BTW, on Sat. Jan. 26th at 10pm Eastern, there is a rare broadcast of another Michael Redgrave movie, Thunder Rock (1942) following an airing of Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest at 8pm.

I'll add my request for The Captive Heart to be shown over on the TCM Suggest a Movie, Ms. Knitwit. Thanks for the reminder of this good film.
feaito

Post by feaito »

I'd like to see this film. Sadly, Classic British Films are not profusely available in Chile; neither on Cable TV, nor in the DVD market.

In this picture you posted Moira, Ms. Kempson resembles so much her daughter Vanessa. Same bone-structure!
klondike

Post by klondike »

Yes, indeed, thank you, Madame KW, for posting this thread about what sounds like quite a unique movie!
And thank you, Moira, for requesting it from TCM; do let us know if we need to gang-up & bring more "pressure" to bear.
Like 'Nando, I've not yet seen this one, but would certainly like to!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I purchased a used copy of this movie at Amazon, but the quality is quite poor. Because I love the movie so much, I still have to play it now and then to remind myself of how much I have, because of the sacrifices of so many brave hearts.

Thanks Moira, for the lovely synopsis/review. I am going to print it and slip it into the case with the movie!

Nancy
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

klondike wrote:Yes, indeed, thank you, Madame KW, for posting this thread about what sounds like quite a unique movie!
And thank you, Moira, for requesting it from TCM; do let us know if we need to gang-up & bring more "pressure" to bear.
Like 'Nando, I've not yet seen this one, but would certainly like to!
I suspect that the more people ask for this one, the more likely TCM is to go on the hunt for a better copy to broadcast on their outlet, don't you?
knitwit wrote:Thanks Moira, for the lovely synopsis/review. I am going to print it and slip it into the case with the movie!
Hey, thanks, Nancy. "Moira Finnie, blurb writer", now that's a new one on me, *lol*. It's more like "Moira the goofy enthusiast for movies she hasn't seen in 12 years". :roll:
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I should be so "goofy"! :lol:

You guys never cease to amaze me with your knowledge, and especially your willingness to share that knowledge.
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: The Captive Heart

Post by moira finnie »

I just found that a youtube poster has added the entire film of The Captive Heart (1946). He uploads it in a compressed form, so if the aspect ratio of the image bothers you, the poster suggests that might want to download and play the movie on RealPlayer, selecting "Stretch" and "Wide". I tried his suggestion and it works very well. It's a good print of the movie too. Enjoy!

[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I can't praise this movie enough. I hope some of you will watch it and report back here what you think of it. enjoy!!!!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Its' a wonderful movie, one that is available here, it's worth taking the time ot watch.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin