Wuthering Heights and All The Fine Young Canibals

stuart.uk

Wuthering Heights and All The Fine Young Canibals

Post by stuart.uk »

This is two films a find myself comparing. i've never seen the Larry Olivier 1939 version of WH, but was recently watching for the upteenth time Cliff Richard's acclaimed stage and video version Heathcliff of the 1990s. it so reminded me of the 1950s film All The Fine Young Cannibals.

in WHs all the characters are horrific with the possible exception of Isabela, who marries and is brutally phyiscally abused by Heathcliff. In ATFYC the main charcters while not as bad were badly flawed with the exception of the girl who married Robert Wagner and for a while was badly treated, but Wagner redeemed himself and made the marraige work.

if Wagner was a modern version of Heathcliff then Nataile Wood was like Cathy with George Hamilton a modern day Edgar. as i sort of stated earlier the characters in ATFYC were in the end better behaved and sorted themselves out giving the film a reasonable happy ending
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I saw the Fine Young Cannibals years ago, and it's very dim in my memory. However, I saw it because it starred Natalie Wood, RJ Wagner, Susan Kohner, and George Hamilton, 4 of my teen idols, I could have cared less about the story itself, I just wanted to look at those beautiful people. Thinking back however, I'm pretty sure that now, as an adult, I would enjoy the movie a lot more, because I recall it addressed quite a few issues. I believe it's been on TCM in the recent past but I missed it. Will it be on again that you know of?

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I've seen both versions of Wuthering Heights. The one with Laurence Olivier and the one with Timothy Dalton. Watch The Laurence Olivier version, it is abridged from the novel but it has the atomosphere and Larry is Heathcliff.

Stuart it is available from DVD rental services in the UK.